Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Fox is +0.05 to +0.15 for factory specs.
+0.10 is typical set not near end of bushing life
Ohlins does +0.18
Marzocchi used to be +0.20 over and that's where they had bushing slop but no failures
My personal ones are +0.14 and +0.18 for my forks..

For business I use +0.10 on everything... It's not compromising longevity..

Personal friends forks and buddies i race or ride with we will be +0.14 minimum , check the ride and if not flawless in stutter bumps and corners ill go up....
I think it also really depends which bath-oil you use, and at what temperatures you ride.
In california with 0W30, you probably want to stick to 0.07, and for sweden with motorex supergliss, 0.10+ would probably be nice.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I think it also really depends which bath-oil you use, and at what temperatures you ride.
In california with 0W30, you probably want to stick to 0.07, and for sweden with motorex supergliss, 0.10+ would probably be nice.
It's a clearance issue between to solid surfaces, oil is there to assist it in stiction free process. There's already a Teflon tape between it and the stanchion with grooves to allow oil coverage...
Oil weight isn't going to stop mechanical bind persay may reduce it but a properly sized and round bushings is always the best.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
In what I have seen, the bigger issue with forks is chassis/stanchion alignment. Not bushing clearance.

The legs can feel fine when slid in individually, but together with a wheel bolted in the lowers it can be horrendous.
Even the Fox forks with the floating axle can be really, really bad. Like push the stanchions to bottom with no seals and everything removed and cleaned and you can pick the fork up by the steerer and shake it without the lowers falling off bad. :eek:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
In what I have seen, the bigger issue with forks is chassis/stanchion alignment. Not bushing clearance.

The legs can feel fine when slid in individually, but together with a wheel bolted in the lowers it can be horrendous.
Even the Fox forks with the floating axle can be really, really bad. Like push the stanchions to bottom with no seals and everything removed and cleaned and you can pick the fork up by the steerer and shake it without the lowers falling off bad. :eek:
Agreed and when you throw tight bushings in there you compound the mechanical bind..
When you burnish a bushing you can feel how tight they are so aligned or not that's a interference itself..then make em not in alignment that just makes for fun lol..I agree on alignment issue..

I see way more bushing sizing issues than alignment, once in a while I get that CSU that hangs up ...I get em to hang up initially, burnish it and then they glide in and out easily...it's the ones that are super tight on damper side (like almost all fox) that really benefit.

I did get one the other day that had a hangup even burnished that was bad, it was the lower damper bushing side..you could feel it when it hit.. spin the CSU 180 so only 1 leg went in and it didn't align with the upper, was snug.

I drop stanchions after service into lowers to see if they bind or hang up, like you I do it with no seals or foam rings in..I take pics with them on lol it makes customers feel better about not having a gutted fork..

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
100%. The stock manitou stuff in my mastodon was glue in cold temps. Changed to some 2.5 or something real light and it was fine.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
It's a clearance issue between to solid surfaces, oil is there to assist it in stiction free process. There's already a Teflon tape between it and the stanchion with grooves to allow oil coverage...
Oil weight isn't going to stop mechanical bind persay may reduce it but a properly sized and round bushings is always the best.
I always figured there would be a thin film of oil between the teflon and stanchion.
In once had a Marzocchi 55 where I could dial the amount of bushing play I felt while riding by the thickness of the bath-oil.

And I wasn't trying to say burnishing isn't important. It is... I also have one from Bitul, and that thing rocks

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I always figured there would be a thin film of oil between the teflon and stanchion.
In once had a Marzocchi 55 where I could dial the amount of bushing play I felt while riding by the thickness of the bath-oil.

And I wasn't trying to say burnishing isn't important. It is... I also have one from Bitul, and that thing rocks
No, I know lol...mechanical bind and under deflected loads increases greatly regardless of what film is between it ..it takes on a mechanical property or friction and deflection...different oils play differently for sure I use 20wt for most stuff due to it getting out and staying put..
Flip bike upside down once a month for the night and let foam rings soak it up as well..

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
New meats on the garvel bike.
View attachment 203147

Winter shoes for the hardtail.
View attachment 203148
Fancy gravel bike! Is that new? What's the black thing on the bottom of the head tube?

And what's that bottle cage and bag thing from? Looks interesting...

So the b-rad things from Wolftooth bolt to regular bottle mounts and then you can mount the actual cage to it in different spots?

Sorry in advance for the questions :D

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Fancy gravel bike! Is that new? What's the black thing on the bottom of the head tube?

And what's that bottle cage and bag thing from? Looks interesting...

So the b-rad things from Wolftooth bolt to regular bottle mounts and then you can mount the actual cage to it in different spots?

Sorry in advance for the questions :D
Not new. Built up mid-plague. Black thing is just a masively tall lower headset cup.

This. They stopped making it. Very handy for the right kind of frame/bike. No longer on their site, thus the link.

https://global.bluelug.com/king-cage-beheld-cargo-cage.html

Ayup. Lets you move the cage lower. Or whatever. Takes up otherwise unused space low down on (this particular) frame. Meaning it can take 2 x 1L bottles.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What is the gearing?

Also, no.
30/20.
I used to race 100 milers on it with 32/20.

Hoping to get it to Buff Crick next weekend. Only trails near home I'd even attempt with it is Genesee or BCLP.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Waiting on some tacky chans..figure I'll give em a run soft rear super soft front for Enduro and aggressive riding ...says they like to be loaded and pushed in corners hard as well as roll fast...so curiosity got me..he here next week
Haha, it's like Commencal basically said- Your tyre is shit so we will try to improve it because we are stuck with you guys-

The development process of the Tacky Chan began in close collaboration with the COMMENCAL / MUC-OFF team, who had a vision to create an even better performing tire. To realize this vision, they started by modifying the existing Big Betty tread by hand. With this "Frankenstein" prototype, Amaury Pierron and Thibaut Daprela competed in the 2021 World Cup race in Leogang and both ended up on the podium. This result confirmed their decision to stick with the idea.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Haha, it's like Commencal basically said- Your tyre is shit so we will try to improve it because we are stuck with you guys-

The development process of the Tacky Chan began in close collaboration with the COMMENCAL / MUC-OFF team, who had a vision to create an even better performing tire. To realize this vision, they started by modifying the existing Big Betty tread by hand. With this "Frankenstein" prototype, Amaury Pierron and Thibaut Daprela competed in the 2021 World Cup race in Leogang and both ended up on the podium. This result confirmed their decision to stick with the idea.
I love the magic Mary, I've killed alot of nasty stuff on that tire...granted im not WC level but I am certified "hold my beer, watch this!".

But I do see what they are saying about lug roll I load it high and down to compress them and pre load...but the TC have me curious I hated the old big Betty but liked the new one...had some issues with the old version...

Pretty excited and a little on edge to try a new one...I know the MM so well...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Built this thing back up. I've tried to replace the frame twice; first with a Gnarvana and then with an Enduro. Both times the Altitude won out. Swapped the -1 works headset for a -1 wolftooth to gain back a tiny bit of reach the high stack of the works took away.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
For thread on topicness, what counts as a steed?

I've replenished, for those rides.

Found a tube of this stuff in the chalet at Burke mountain a few years ago. It came in clutch after a long humid day of trails and sitting around drinking beer.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Found a tube of this stuff in the chalet at Burke mountain a few years ago. It came in clutch after a long humid day of trails and sitting around drinking beer.
If it works for Shania.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

A+D ointment, available everywhere.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
that's like taking close ups of your beanie babies bragging about how they're comin back man

christ son, you bought schwalbe tires. learn some shame
Are you saying they aren't??? Well shame on you, just shame!!!!!
Beanies for life.

I've been married with kids for so long I have no shame..I own that shit now...lol

I like schwalbe and yes I did pay for these, pumped to take em out and see how they react and dig in.