Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So nice looking! Which frame is that. Full report after some riding please.
Well after getting it dialed in on some short trails in a nearby park I got about 30 miles and about 7000 ft of descending in the mountains. Long story short, I really like it. Geometry and travel numbers are very similar to my current FS bike so I assumed it would feel similar, and it does, but much better in a few areas. Primarily the suspension is a lot better. Extremely supportive. It just pops off the ground, easy to bunny hop and jumps great. I kind of suck at jumps, always thought it was me being a pussy, I always end up landing short. This thing just launches into the air, moreso than my hardtail which has my scratching my head a bit. I was hitting doubles perfectly that I always case a bit and had the nuts to send a few that I always squashed. Everywhere else it just feel extremely composed. Just plows through fast chunk, but not in a plush way. Not sure how to explain this but it feels great overcooking corners. Plenty of feedback, very controllable drifting around a bit. Pedals and climbs great, although I do like a lot of compression damping. Fit and finish is top notch. Only real issue was that the TRP Evo brakes that came with it have terrible ergonomics. I tried to swap them out with Hayes Dominions but failed in a rage after just a few rides the Hayes calipers went to shit, so some shitty SRAM G2s are on there for now. Will probably pick up some after market levers for the TRPs. Such a dunderheaded fuckup on their part to have the lever reach so far out for brakes that perform remarkably well.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Well after getting it dialed in on some short trails in a nearby park I got about 30 miles and about 7000 ft of descending in the mountains. Long story short, I really like it. Geometry and travel numbers are very similar to my current FS bike so I assumed it would feel similar, and it does, but much better in a few areas. Primarily the suspension is a lot better. Extremely supportive. It just pops off the ground, easy to bunny hop and jumps great. I kind of suck at jumps, always thought it was me being a pussy, I always end up landing short. This thing just launches into the air, moreso than my hardtail which has my scratching my head a bit. I was hitting doubles perfectly that I always case a bit and had the nuts to send a few that I always squashed. Everywhere else it just feel extremely composed. Just plows through fast chunk, but not in a plush way. Not sure how to explain this but it feels great overcooking corners. Plenty of feedback, very controllable drifting around a bit. Pedals and climbs great, although I do like a lot of compression damping. Fit and finish is top notch. Only real issue was that the TRP Evo brakes that came with it have terrible ergonomics. I tried to swap them out with Hayes Dominions but failed in a rage after just a few rides the Hayes calipers went to shit, so some shitty SRAM G2s are on there for now. Will probably pick up some after market levers for the TRPs. Such a dunderheaded fuckup on their part to have the lever reach so far out for brakes that perform remarkably well.
Sounds like a winner! Is that the Squeeb? I love my TRPs but totally get how the ergonomics are weird esp if you want dainty levers and/or run them close to the bar.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
The fork rebuild was a roaring success.
Burnished bushings is a thing.
I also like the extra 10mm of travel.
The revised angles are HTA 65.5 / 64.75 and STA 75.5 / 74.75.
Have not run it in slack yet, nothing remotely near that requires it.
The STA was kinda worrying me, but so far it has not been an issue. We we are in a floodplain, so rolling hills and ravines, no long sustained grinds.

My testing centre - Lots of lines, multiple options, great for progression.

Daves not here drop top.jpg

Daves looking up.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sounds like a winner! Is that the Squeeb? I love my TRPs but totally get how the ergonomics are weird esp if you want dainty levers and/or run them close to the bar.
i believe its the SST. it had caught my eye for a number of reasons, but i have a hard time with the price point for a frame that's 4130.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It just pops off the ground, easy to bunny hop and jumps great. I kind of suck at jumps, always thought it was me being a pussy, I always end up landing short. This thing just launches into the air, moreso than my hardtail which has my scratching my head a bit. I was hitting doubles perfectly that I always case a bit and had the nuts to send a few that I always squashed.
Cool bike, glad you like it. Sag and compression/preload may help explain the pop you describe. Depends on multiple things (technique, kinematics, suspension setup, etc.) but speaking broadly, your bike compresses into the transition and boosts out of that preloaded compression when you pull up on takeoff.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The fork rebuild was a roaring success.
Burnished bushings is a thing.
I also like the extra 10mm of travel.
The revised angles are HTA 65.5 / 64.75 and STA 75.5 / 74.75.
Have not run it in slack yet, nothing remotely near that requires it.
The STA was kinda worrying me, but so far it has not been an issue. We we are in a floodplain, so rolling hills and ravines, no long sustained grinds.

My testing centre - Lots of lines, multiple options, great for progression.

View attachment 193919

View attachment 193917
who burnished your bushings?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Had? Did you not like it? Love that turner
I did, I got lot of life out of it. I also think the RXF of Ohlins is a complete mind-fck, people are trained to say "RFX" and no matter how many times you look at it, it still comes out "RFX" instead of "RXF". The struggle is real.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Fox SLS 550x2.9 423g
Titanium 500x3 446g

The ti is more supportive and feels better compared to the fox SLS...just thought it was good to show numbers to show fox SLS is a light coil option and good spring ..I wouldn't spend money on ti for same weight but based on how it feels compared to the fox that for me makes it doable to a degree..after a ride or 2 I'll have a better handle. I do like the way my rcs ti rides and always love the feel of ti over reg.

Is it worth it probably not but I already bought it and I like the way ti feels
20230517_182019.jpg
20230517_190254.jpg
20230517_182135.jpg
20230517_183056.jpg

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
How many ugga duggas was your dub crank bolt done up to?
About 2.5

I had removed them once before to swap out the ridiculous 34t chainring, so the factory *snap!* removal process was already taken care of….

Between de-ugga dugging the cranks and being terrified to cross thread that cassette, it was semi stressful. Kept it to a single beer and managed to not fuck it up.

IMG_3990.jpeg