Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
So here's my 2017 alloy Transition Scout GX.

Well, I broke the frame do they sent me a 2021 carbon frame... Well RS shock didn't fit new frame so I replaced it with a Float Factory X... But I exploded it twice so now it's got a new Bomber CR. Pike fork was perfect for this bike... But exploded it twice. So I got a nice 36 from a fellow monkey. It's quite stiffer than the Pike. The flex in the RF ARC was more noticeable. Good thing I killed all bearings and exploded the rear hub. Upgraded to some Reserve plastic hoops. With an extra 10mm of travel front and back, I can go much faster, which highlighted the limits of the stock Guide brakes, so it's now sporting a nice set of Dominion A4. Running this frame at 30% sag means you pedal strike a lot in rock country, but being short crank curious, went with some 165 Turbine...

Really a great bike, ready to ride out of the box. :rolleyes:

1000009877.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
A scout w +10mm front and rear is exactly the bike I would like... how does that work? just need a longer stroke shock and fork? or are links and offset bushings involved?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
A scout w +10mm front and rear is exactly the bike I would like... how does that work? just need a longer stroke shock and fork? or are links and offset bushings involved?
This generation of Scout is 140 to 150mm compatible. You just need to remove a spacer in the shock. And when going to 150mm in the back it feels more balanced with 160mm in the front.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I think most of the current gen Transitions can be run with 2.5mm longer stroke & 10mm longer fork.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Seems like it. So they might give it the mullet treatment for the next iteration like they did for the Patrol.
That would be pretty cool actually. 140/150mm 4-bar mullet with the option to run at 150/160. Wonder if they'll ever put a snackbox in the frames.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Isn't the new Smuggler headset routed?
Nope. The cable ports on the head tube I think are a bit further forward than some of the other bikes, that's it.