Quantcast

New Transition Slopestyle Bike: The BottleRocket

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
ok, it is time for build issue questions.
1 - anyone else notice the rear derail resting on the chainstay in the smallest cog? i may just need to put a rubber bumper on it. but it seems odd to me. this will probably change when i sit on the bike and there is some sag. i have yet to check that.
2 - anyone else have a problem mounting a DRS on the frame. the ISCG tabs on mine put the roller assembly too close to the chainstay. grrr.

that is all for now.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Do headsets generally have a very tight fit with E-13 reducers? I am using a Cane Creek IS-2 and my LBS could not get them to seat all the way.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
mandown said:
ok, it is time for build issue questions.
1 - anyone else notice the rear derail resting on the chainstay in the smallest cog? i may just need to put a rubber bumper on it. but it seems odd to me. this will probably change when i sit on the bike and there is some sag. i have yet to check that.
2 - anyone else have a problem mounting a DRS on the frame. the ISCG tabs on mine put the roller assembly too close to the chainstay. grrr.

that is all for now.
didnt have the rear derail problem but mine was a 105, not sure if smaller size is changing anything.

I did however "almost" have issues with my e.13 guide. I am running a 32 special which seems like it is basically designed for this bike, so it doesnt contact the chain stay, even with the smaller guide plate it is at the max 3mm away from the stay. I had to run 1 black spacer on the back of the plate between the iscg tabs so it would clear properly as well. I doubt a standard 36 max capacity drs is going to work with this frame. Sort of a bummer it having the f derail mounts and all. Wonder if dw could chime in on this...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
bjanga said:
Do headsets generally have a very tight fit with E-13 reducers? I am using a Cane Creek IS-2 and my LBS could not get them to seat all the way.
I am using the e.13 reduction cups, my bottom race popped in with hand preasure, the top i had to line up and press it in with the headset press. I did have a problem with the top cap of the headset rubbing the reduction cup so i have a small carbon spacer in between the top cap and the race lock ring.

_Bill

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I did however "almost" have issues with my e.13 guide. I am running a 32 special which seems like it is basically designed for this bike, so it doesnt contact the chain stay, even with the smaller guide plate it is at the max 3mm away from the stay. I had to run 1 black spacer on the back of the plate between the iscg tabs so it would clear properly as well. I doubt a standard 36 max capacity drs is going to work with this frame. Sort of a bummer it having the f derail mounts and all. Wonder if dw could chime in on this...
that sounds reasonable. but how the heck did this kid do it?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i figured it out!
the older e13 guides have a hole for each ISCG mount hole with no range for adjustment. the newer ones have a groove for each ISCG mount hole so you can get some rotation.

time to get out the tools.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
mandown said:
i figured it out!
the older e13 guides have a hole for each ISCG mount hole with no range for adjustment. the newer ones have a groove for each ISCG mount hole so you can get some rotation.

oh damn really you cant move yours? Well i had mine moved as far as it could go and it barely fit...goodluck, post some complete pics.

_Bill

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
complete build pics by monday. i almost got the cranks and front derail on yesterday. i had to wait for my crank spider. the UPS guy delivered it to the house across the street. i had to wait for my neighbor to get home (late last night) before i could start working on it.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
mandown said:
i figured it out!

yea i had a similar problem with my e13 sts, 36tooth - it's an 03 or 04, and so the iscg slots on the backplate are not long enough to get the guide rotated properly...

Earthmover

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Terra Forma
Haven't had a chance to start hanging parts on mine yet, but I am using the DRS guide and E13 reducer cups, and a med cage deraileur, so hopefully no major issues coming. Rest of my parts should be here early next week!
Can't wait....

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Maybe I need to ream the reducer cups? The insides looked regular and smooth to me, but I do not know what else would prevent my headset cups from seating properly.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I'm suffering from BR burnout secondary to all the hype (26pages?)

But, my Raw/5.0 coil just showed up. & I thought I'd post something:

My first thought: The pics do it NO justice.

It must be seen to appreciate how much metal and solid design is involved here.

I don't think Transition will be looking at any longevity issues w/ this bike.

Reviews of zero rear-end play/flex may be 100% true. There really isn't anywhere for the rear to give that I can see. It is pinned in there.

Really, I can say for now is it will only have to ride 1/2 as good as it looks.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Totally agree with the above, i have ridden mine on some light freeride stuff so far (bunch of drops/gaps to smooth trannys) and i couldnt be more impressed. I have allso been riding this bike with a 32 front and an ultegra road cassette in the back on some pretty fast xc rides and been able to hang alright...So it is entirely pedalable.

Actually pedaled the bike about 12 miles around the city last night hitting some street stuff, and loved every minute of it.

Snowshoe tomorrow, im going to do a big ride/review report with photos...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
doing a full mt. wilson ride this weekend. that should be a good test. i am convinced i will love this rig at whistler. time to book the flight.

heal fast gmac! get that beast built and ride :)

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Awesome pic. Looks good. My frame is arriving at the store today. I have been tracking its path from Transition to Rhode Island and it just left the last UPS stop and out for delivery today! Will be starting the build around 6 tonight.

Can't freakin' wait.

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
mandown said:
josh's bike will be ready by thursday. that means we will be breaking her in this weekend :) another b~rizzle!!!

Mine is done:love: Will get some pics up this weekend.:) Sokoloka, that raw is looking saweeeeet!!

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
mandown said:
sicness. i got some pics of josh's today. mine got new wheels :)

Thanks for throwing up the pics Adam. Your Rocket now has a younger heavier brother:). Big ups to Transition, Adrenaline Bikes and Cynergy Cycles for helping get this thing together and dealing with my constant phone call questions:thumb:

I am 5'10" and the bike just feels amazing. The bike absolutely rips downhill and feels very stable but still extremely nimble at the same time. I felt like the bike would go exactly where my body wanted it to go in every corner and it just wants to rocket off the ground (no pun intended).

It is pretty easy to get the front end up and the Swinger feels pretty plush. I didn't notice any small bump sensitivity issues and we rode some pretty rocky stuff today. I also felt that the '05 Z1 FR1 was plenty of fork for the bike as I was concerned that it would feel a bit spindly on this beefy frame. I will wait until after Mammoth and the Pac Northwest before I give it the fork the complete blessing.

The bike also pedals very well for a 41.5 lb beast (full DH casing tires, chromo FSA cranks are the culprits keeping the rig above 40 lbs). There is plenty of seat tube to slam the post almost all the way down for jumping and DH and then raise it up to have plenty of leg extension for comfortable pedaling. I can happily answer a resounding YES to the question as to whether the B Rizzle can be used as a capable trail bike. Time to test it on some bigger drops/jumps.:love: :weee:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Just noticed on the black one that the reservior end of the shock is on the lower mount. Is there any difference? Mine came in with the reservior end on the top mount. Just curious....

Nice looking rides. I must say I agree that this bike can do it all. I added a longer stem and chaned a few little things today and will be really seeing what this thing can do tomrrow.

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
DirtBag said:
Just noticed on the black one that the reservior end of the shock is on the lower mount. Is there any difference? Mine came in with the reservior end on the top mount. Just curious....

Nice looking rides. I must say I agree that this bike can do it all. I added a longer stem and chaned a few little things today and will be really seeing what this thing can do tomrrow.

Good catch Dirtbag. I am not sure if there is a difference. I will call the Transition guys to find out and if there is I will flip it around.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i'll tell ya the diffs.
one - will the shock clear the frame. different shocks might have bigger resrvoirs and not fit.
two - unsprung weight. the general idea is that if the more weight the suspension needs to move as it compresses, the less responsive the suspension will be. that being the case people try to keep the reservoir mounted on the frame side and not the swingarm side. this is becuase people assume the reservoir is bigger so it must be heavier. i spoke with craig at Avy about this (in passing as it related to another conversation). he said the reservoir side generally weighs less than the coil side since a solid steel coil tends to be heavier than a chamber filled with pressurized gas and oil.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Well now that I have had a chance to really test this frame, I can say that it is the best bike I have ridden yet. Compared to my Demo-9, I think this bike is the all purpose machine. The D-9 is awesome for wide open areas but is tough for tight sections. The BR is great for everyting the D-9 is for and then some.

Went to Highland mountain and ripped the entire area on the BR. Highland offers DH sections, massive drops and huge tables. I felt glued to the trail and felt confident on the drops and jumps.

This machine corners extremely well, is agile over the jumps and drops and takes hits like a 8-inch travel frame. I am more impressed with this set-up than any other bike I have owned. Once I nailed down the shock and fork settings and got the bars and stem configured, it felt like I designed the bike around my height/weight. Perfectly balanced. I could not be happier with this.

If Kevin or Kyle check in on this thread, my hats are off to you for a great design.....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Well now that I have had a chance to really test this frame, I can say that it is the best bike I have ridden yet. Compared to my Demo-9, I think this bike is the all purpose machine. The D-9 is awesome for wide open areas but is tough for tight sections. The BR is great for everyting the D-9 is for and then some.

Went to Highland mountain and ripped the entire area on the BR. Highland offers DH sections, massive drops and huge tables. I felt glued to the trail and felt confident on the drops and jumps.

This machine corners extremely well, is agile over the jumps and drops and takes hits like a 8-inch travel frame. I am more impressed with this set-up than any other bike I have owned. Once I nailed down the shock and fork settings and got the bars and stem configured, it felt like I designed the bike around my height/weight. Perfectly balanced. I could not be happier with this.

If Kevin or Kyle check in on this thread, my hats are off to you for a great design.....
Couldnt have said it better myself. My exact thoughts...

:thumb: :thumb: to transition on this one...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
hi i'm new to this thread, im considering to buy a bottlerocket and want to know if anyone tried a '05 66rc 170mm on the bottlerocket? or should i consider to downtravel the fork to 150mm? also i don't know which size i should choose, i'm 1,84m tall and want the bottlerocket as a do all bike, mostly for trails and less jumping

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
1.84m tall is about 6 feet. i am 6'1" and on a large. if you are looking for more of a trail bike, go with the large. the chart on the transition website says you should go for a medium, but i have ridden josh's medium and it would be too small for me as a trail bike. the large will have plenty of cockpit room for pedaling. it will feel a bit bigger when standing (see my descriptions above). it still handles nice and nimble in the corners. it will feel more like a trail/dh bike and not like a flickable jumper.