Quantcast

New to SS, bad chainline ensues

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
EDIT: Oops, should clarify the thread title; I'm new to SS hubs, I'm very familiar with converting a cassette hub to SS :)

I've recently built up a Soul Cycles Hooligan using all my spare parts. The one thing I hadn't used before was a SS rear wheel with a freewheel. After installing everything the chainline is too far in, lines up almost perfect with the inner ring of my cranks. I'm using a 113 BB spindle and anything smaller would have the cranks hit the chainstays. I'm fine for now since I have a 26t inner ring I'm using but I'd like to have it line up with the middle/outer slot on the cranks so I can setup some proper gearing.

Is there a way to adjust how far out the freewheel sits? It doesn't need to go far but the current chainline would give me problems for sure.

I'll post some pics tonight if that will help.

Thanks,
--Taylor

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
hrmmm...maybe you'll need SS specific cranks? Hope that's not the case though as that would be costly.

Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in and help.

Mark

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
hrmmm...maybe you'll need SS specific cranks? Hope that's not the case though as that would be costly.

Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in and help.

Mark
Ya, I figured that might be a possibility but I hope not, I was trying to keep it my 'spare parts' build. Thanks though :)

Feb 13, 2006
I doubt that a SS crank would change things much, the SS versions of cranks like the Truvativ Stylo and the Race Face Evolve XC are just one-ring versions of their multi-ring cranks.

I don't understand how you have determined that the chain line is off.

Did you try mounting the front chainring in the middle ring spot?

Were you able to ride the bike with that setup?

What method are you using for chain length/tension?

Also, if your chainline currently is too far inboard, you don't need a narrower spindle. You need a wider one. A narrower spindle moves the chain even more inboard.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I doubt that a SS crank would change things much, the SS versions of cranks like the Truvativ Stylo and the Race Face Evolve XC are just one-ring versions of their multi-ring cranks.

I don't understand how you have determined that the chain line is off.

Did you try mounting the front chainring in the middle ring spot?

Were you able to ride the bike with that setup?
I put built the drivetrain and the chain is not in line with the middle or outer chainring slot but rather the inner chainring. I hooked it up with the middle ring and the chain was not straight and was audibly unhappy.

What method are you using for chain length/tension?
Its a SS specific frame with an EBB and vertical dropouts.

Also, if your chainline currently is too far inboard, you don't need a narrower spindle. You need a wider one. A narrower spindle moves the chain even more inboard.
Actually its too far outboard since it lines up with the inner ring, a wider spindle would make the problem worse.

I didn't have a chance to mess with it this weekend but if the EBB can be adjusted laterally then I think that will solve the problem, thanks guys :)

Feb 13, 2006
Okay, I misunderstood the directions you were talking about I guess!

Hopefully the EBB lateral adjustment will fix it for you, 'cause for sure, you shouldn't have to run the chainring on the granny gear mounts. I've set up SS rear hub and gearie rear hub w/ singleator SS bikes and never had to run the innermost granny gear mounts. I'm sure your EBB adjustment should take care of it.

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
I have a Soul Cycles Hooligan and you are not going to get enough adjustment laterally in the EBB to take care of your problem. It has grooves in which each of the set screws sits which would prevent that movement.

I haven't had that problem since I am using a standard wheelset with the Endless Bikes Fibonacci spacer kit. I was able to make the perfect chainline. Pictures would help. I'd like to see what the crank setup looks like as well as the rear hub.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Pictures would help. I'd like to see what the crank setup looks like as well as the rear hub.
Ya, I'm sorry I haven't been able to post them yet, super busy at work and going out of town on Friday. I may or may not have time to dive into it before I go but if I do the pics will be posted.