Quantcast

New (to me) Shimano brake issue

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
I have had some Zee death bakes for a few years now, so I know all about the crap-your-pants-lever-goes-to-bar-issue. I have had good luck with bleeding it out for the most part. But a few days ago got a new one that I have never experienced.

I was riding Mt Ashland and it was cold, maybe at best 40F with hail falling up top. The ride starts with a fire road drop for about 4 minutes. It was windy and I got blasted with hail, but brakes were fine.

I peel off the road for the 1st trail section. It is steep and loose, so lots of braking. About 1/3 of the way down there is a little drop. I roll through the berm before the drop and slide completely off the trail.
Rear brake lever is totally stiff, rear wheel is locked up.

I pulled caliper off and try to push pistons back, flick lever, wedge pads with no luck. The pistons won't budge, lever won't move. I finally have to crack the banjo and fluid squirts out, pads retract and appear to be working again. Rear lever felt odd (stiff at first, then almost normal) but worked OK for the rest of the ride.

Sooo, any thoughts? Elevation, cold temps, aluminum vs ceramic? At first I thought the caliper being alloy was so cold it shrank a bit and the ceramic pistons got seized. But this was not the case as the caliper was warm to the touch.

I am going to bleed them again for sure, but they were fine before and have been fine since. I did a little ride back in Satan Cruz yesterday with no issues.

Heading back up to elevation next weekend and I am scared!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've frozen my butt off riding down that fireroad early in the season. Always a fun way to get good and tight and freeze your braking fingers before dropping into that first sketchy shortcut.

'Woo is probably right. If there is too much fluid, you exceed the capacity of the bladder to deal with expansion. The next path of least resistance is pushing the pistons out and clamping your rotor.

Had you added fluid shortly before this ride?

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
No fluid before ride. I last bled them about 3 months ago, and did lots of lever flicking to try and purge all zee air out.
I also made sure to push the pads in before bleeding.

Hmmmm.......