Quantcast

new to DH (mtb in general) these bikes are complicated! help

chknkatsu

Chimp
Nov 1, 2011
i just picked up a GaryFisher Kingfisher2 a few months back, havent really gotten to use it due to the weather.
long story short, im a bmxer and im sure you guys know, bmx bikes are super simple, parts are almost entirely universal etc. and when i looked at my garyfisher and aftermarket parts, i got a headache.

so far from what i've seen, there are tons of different axle sizes and types, there are tons of different bottom bracket types and sizes, headsets, etc. so i need some help to wrap my head around this...

so lets say i want to buy a fork, what do i need to make sure as far as fitment? will it fit my current wheel? will it even fit my frame? what about cranks and bottom brackets? there are so many measurements to account for on these bikes:blink::fie::twitch:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay this is fast people can ad more information.

Headset Sizes
11/8"
1.5"

Headtubes on fork the same...

BB Sizes
83mm
73mm

Rear Hubs
135mm
135mm by 12mm
150mm by 12mm

Brakes
200m
180mm
160mm

Front Forks
20mm
15mm
QR

Last edited:

chknkatsu

Chimp
Nov 1, 2011
Okay this is fast people can ad more information.

Headset Sizes
11/8"
1.5"

Headtubes on fork the same...

BB Sizes
83mm
73mm

Rear Hubs
135mm
135mm by 12mm
150mm by 12mm

Brakes
200m
180mm
160mm
thanks!

and i noticed there are a lot of different axle sizes. some wheels only fit certain axles and certain forks only fit certain axles...

and i noticed there are also bottom bracket width measurements :fie:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
thanks!

and i noticed there are a lot of different axle sizes. some wheels only fit certain axles and certain forks only fit certain axles...

and i noticed there are also bottom bracket width measurements :fie:

Yeah forgot add front fork also.....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
front axles. there are basically 3.
QR, 15mm and 20mm.
each has a different hub.

you need to match this things in order to replace a fork.
steerer (is it 1.5 or 1-1/8, or tapered?
axle (20mm, 15mm or QR?)
travel (or axle to crown distance to be more precise).. 140mm, 160mm, 180mm?

chknkatsu

Chimp
Nov 1, 2011
front axles. there are basically 3.
QR, 15mm and 20mm.
each has a different hub.

you need to match this things in order to replace a fork.
steerer (is it 1.5 or 1-1/8, or tapered?
axle (20mm, 15mm or QR?)
travel (or axle to crown distance to be more precise).. 140mm, 160mm, 180mm?
alright, i went to the Trek website and was able to pull up specs on the Kingfisher. it definitely answered a lot of the questions i had, except for bottom brackets. do i have to buy a specific width? some look like they dont sit flush in the bottom bracket shell. how do i know which BB i need.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
alright, i went to the Trek website and was able to pull up specs on the Kingfisher. it definitely answered a lot of the questions i had, except for bottom brackets. do i have to buy a specific width? some look like they dont sit flush in the bottom bracket shell. how do i know which BB i need.
its most likely an external bearing 73mm BB. You can tell on your own bike by seeing of the BB cups sit outboard the frame.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
just went through my first learning experience with this on a fork swap on my bike.

I found this website to be a great reference.....also I went to the headset manufacturers website and they had a headset finder to help me get the parts I needed.

I am assuming some of the same could be found for bottom brackets and other parts.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
axles

135x9 ( reg qr )
135x12 ( threw axle )
142x12 ( axle )
150x12
165x12 ( older style axle sys you wont see )

( then theres custom axle sizes for floating brakes or special linkage axle/brake systems )

such as a v10 with a floater will have a diff axle size then a reg v10 ( talking older mk1 gen )

then theres custom axles sized like for instance on rotecs or older tomac 204 magnums etc.

bb cups range from

68/73mm
83mm
100mm ( rarely ever used anymore )

then theres the PRESS FIT style bb

from bb30,bb95,bb90 etc.etc. ( these are custom styles for manufacturers and are very new age ) all using internal bearings to make assemblies lighter and longer lasting and sleeker looking.

from headtubes you have the traditional

1 1/8
the full 1.5
then tapered ( 1 1/8 at the top and a 1.5 at the bottom )
then theres 1.4 etc. ( but you will see this on road bikes once again trying to use their own systems )

hope this kinda helps any other questions dont hesistate

Last edited:

chknkatsu

Chimp
Nov 1, 2011
axles

135x5 ( reg qr )
135x12 ( threw axle )
142x12 ( axle )
150x12
165x12 ( older style axle sys you wont see )

( then theres custom axle sizes for floating brakes or special linkage axle/brake systems )

such as a v10 with a floater will have a diff axle size then a reg v10 ( talking older mk1 gen )

then theres custom axles sized like for instance on rotecs or older tomac 204 magnums etc.

bb cups range from

68/73mm
83mm
100mm ( rarely ever used anymore )

then theres the PRESS FIT style bb

from bb30,bb95,bb90 etc.etc. ( these are custom styles for manufacturers and are very new age ) all using internal bearings to make assemblies lighter and longer lasting and sleeker looking.

from headtubes you have the traditional

1 1/8
the full 1.5
then tapered ( 1 1/8 at the top and a 1.5 at the bottom )
then theres 1.4 etc. ( but you will see this on road bikes once again trying to use their own systems )

hope this kinda helps any other questions dont hesistate

I've been told im a bad salesman cause im honnest and wont sell you something you dont need.
thanks! yes this does help. my kingfisher comes with a 20mm thru axle. is this a popular size amongst DH/FR? im assuming the 135x12 you mentioned is what i have??

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
thanks! yes this does help. my kingfisher comes with a 20mm thru axle. is this a popular size amongst DH/FR? im assuming the 135x12 you mentioned is what i have??
Ya if you mean rear wheel size. I don't know the King Fisher off the top of my head, but most older bikes are 135mm. do you have a quick Release, if so its 135, I dont know of any 150 QR

chknkatsu

Chimp
Nov 1, 2011
Ya if you mean rear wheel size. I don't know the King Fisher off the top of my head, but most older bikes are 135mm. do you have a quick Release, if so its 135, I dont know of any 150 QR
oh i didnt know he was talking about the rear. my front is a 20mm thru axle. my rear is a QR

Aug 25, 2011
maxle rear can have a QR-type lever on a 150mm spacing, I believe.

or did Maxle rear-ends get canceled?
No, your right. Just looked. Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

And chknkatsu, ya it most likely is 135 rear. you can look up online your bike specs. Normally you will find a complete list, it will tell you everything usually.

Unless your rear is maxle its 135. 99 percent sure its 135. Most older bikes are.

chknkatsu

Chimp
Nov 1, 2011
No, your right. Just looked. Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

And chknkatsu, ya it most likely is 135 rear. you can look up online your bike specs. Normally you will find a complete list, it will tell you everything usually.

Unless your rear is maxle its 135. 99 percent sure its 135. Most older bikes are.
i looked up my specs yesterday on the Trek site. as far as information on the wheels go, they only showed me this

Wheels
Wheels Bontrager Earl Freeride Wheelsystem hubs | Bontrager Big Earl 26 x 2.5 tires
Tires Bontrager Big Earl 26 x 2.5

Drivetrain
Shifters SRAM X-7 1:1
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derailleur SRAM X.9, 9spd
Crank Bontrager Big Earl 32/22 w/Rock Ring
Cassette SRAM PG970 11-34T, 9SPD
Pedals Platform, 6061 CNC, Cartridge Bearing, Cro-Moly Spindle

what do the newer DH/FR set-ups come with? is my wheel/hub selection limited?

Aug 25, 2011
i looked up my specs yesterday on the Trek site. as far as information on the wheels go, they only showed me this

Wheels
Wheels Bontrager Earl Freeride Wheelsystem hubs | Bontrager Big Earl 26 x 2.5 tires
Tires Bontrager Big Earl 26 x 2.5

Drivetrain
Shifters SRAM X-7 1:1
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derailleur SRAM X.9, 9spd
Crank Bontrager Big Earl 32/22 w/Rock Ring
Cassette SRAM PG970 11-34T, 9SPD
Pedals Platform, 6061 CNC, Cartridge Bearing, Cro-Moly Spindle

what do the newer DH/FR set-ups come with? is my wheel/hub selection limited?

No i wouldnt say your selection is limited. Newer DH setups run usually 1.5 headset and 150mm dropouts. Older Dh bikes usually had 1-1/8 headset and 135mm dropouts.

They still make those sizes. Both are very common still. you will still find a lot of stuff. Alot of FR oriented bikes use 135 dropouts and almost all XC and AM bikes use 135 or a bit less common is 142. So products are still out there for you

chknkatsu

Chimp
Nov 1, 2011
No i wouldnt say your selection is limited. Newer DH setups run usually 1.5 headset and 150mm dropouts. Older Dh bikes usually had 1-1/8 headset and 135mm dropouts.

They still make those sizes. Both are very common still. you will still find a lot of stuff. Alot of FR oriented bikes use 135 dropouts and almost all XC and AM bikes use 135 or a bit less common is 142. So products are still out there for you
alright, thanks. so it is very likely that i have 135mm?

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
to be totaly honnest I dont know your model bike off the top of my head,I did a quick search didn't find really wat I was looking for,its 1 in the morning here,I start work at 10,as soon as I get in ill try and find some info so you can get more in tune with your new rig with the "sizes" and wat not its running ;)

and p.s I made a typo regular qr is 135x9mm

if your bike is exacly this one ( wich in description seems to say king fisher 2 ) then its a standart 135 quick release 135x9 hub spacing.

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb5758692/p4pb5758692.jpg