Quantcast

New suspensiony things!

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
"Without any formal engineering background he set out to design a bike with 5 to 6 inches of travel that pedaled better than anything on the market. "

Honestly is that just marketing speak? Do 5-6 inch travel bikes really pedal that bad? I just don't get it anymore, it's not 2001..

Looks cool, I wonder if we'll actually see it on a production bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
"Without any formal engineering background he set out to design a bike with 5 to 6 inches of travel that pedaled better than anything on the market. "

Honestly is that just marketing speak? Do 5-6 inch travel bikes really pedal that bad? I just don't get it anymore, it's not 2001..

Looks cool, I wonder if we'll actually see it on a production bike.

10% more complexity for that last .01% increase in performance.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Nothing like rolling into that big drop, lining it up and thinking, the dude who designed my bike does not have an engineering background....
I hate to say it, and no disrespect to them, but I'm pretty sure that is the case with your signature's company. At least was. Many awesome bikes have been made without formally trained engineers. A little knowledge and a lot of common sense goes a long way.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I hate to say it, and no disrespect to them, but I'm pretty sure that is the case with your signature's company. At least was. Many awesome bikes have been made without formally trained engineers. A little knowledge and a lot of common sense goes a long way.
A 2-D linkage ain't no rocket surgury. Solidworks, some understanding of algebra and a few lines of Code in a software optimization package like Matlab or Mathematica and you have can have decent suspension design.

The real difference is probably determined by the ability/funds to have multiple prototype-test-refine cycles.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Here is a quote from the Pinkbike Scout review:

As to how the positioning of the rear pivot was achieved, according to Kyle, “We experimented with a range of placements and ultimately the characteristics we wanted had to be worked out in the kinematics, and that's where Luke Beale (owner of Level One Engineering) helped a ton. Once the kinematics were dialed as best we felt they could be on paper, we made mules and tested a variety of configurations. Getting out there and actually riding different variations goes a long ways toward determining the end result as well, as you can only do so much on paper.”

I hear what you saying though, but I can promise you one thing, I have already put in over 75 miles on the new Transition Scout, and they knocked everything out of the park on that bike. It is as stiff as a pure dh bike with the best riding suspension I have ever felt on a trail bike. Geometry is perfect, and the structure of the frame itself is really well designed. So, it they are just throwing darts at the wall, they did a helluva job. : )

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
"Currie says the leverage rate follows a sine curve, almost like a VPP suspension, going from 2.55 to 2.46 to 2.6—a minor rising rate then a minor falling rate."

That looks pretty linear to me, me no likey.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
So, it they are just throwing darts at the wall, they did a helluva job. : )
I'm not saying they're throwing darts at a wall, at all! Their bikes are totally sweet!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but most (all?) of their prior bikes have been designed by the owners who I'm pretty sure aren't mechanical engineers. I absolutely do not think this is a bad thing- they have made- and do make awesome bikes.

I am simply using them as an example to make the point that it isn't absolutely necessary to be designed by an "engineer" to make a rad bike.

SDet

Monkey
Nov 19, 2014
Boulder Co
I'm not saying they're throwing darts at a wall, at all! Their bikes are totally sweet!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but most (all?) of their prior bikes have been designed by the owners who I'm pretty sure aren't mechanical engineers. I absolutely do not think this is a bad thing- they have made- and do make awesome bikes.

I am simply using them as an example to make the point that it isn't absolutely necessary to be designed by an "engineer" to make a rad bike.
They were designed by outside engineering companies. There's a number of companies in the US that only design bikes for other companies. It's fairly common.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So like the foes scissor link, but just in 2015?

So it's just like stummies, in a larger pill.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it's a little like a reverse DW link. The instant center moves backwards from just above the chainring to just above the chainring but behind the seatpost. I'm having trouble visualizing how it works in my head, but it ain't a single pivot.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh yeah, I see it has a lower link too...so its like the dual link bikes, but with extra linkages.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Too much chain growth will affect small bump sensitivity when on the brakes and the whole thing will explode with out shimz.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
They were designed by outside engineering companies. There's a number of companies in the US that only design bikes for other companies. It's fairly common.
Huh. They had a "headquarters tour" vid a while back that definitely didn't give that impression. One of the owners had a CAD file up, flipping it around talking about design, but I suppose that doesn't mean much. Just implied to me that they design em.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Huh. They had a "headquarters tour" vid a while back that definitely didn't give that impression. One of the owners had a CAD file up, flipping it around talking about design, but I suppose that doesn't mean much. Just implied to me that they design em.
More like they come up with "ideas" and then contract out to design firms (some here, some in TW) to actually make a working product. My 7 year old loves to use ProE and draw stuff in CAD, big difference in actually manufacturing it or making a product that works correctly. 'spension is complicated stuff yo....

Luther Beale is the real deal however, his work has been floating all over the industry for the past 15+ years. He did a tour or two at SCB back in the (pre Graney) day. His stuff is legit. Big boy companies like Yeti use him as well.