Quantcast

New stem from Thomson

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Check out hcor.net for an exclusive on Thomson's new X4 stem. Made for 31.8 bars. Note that they went away from the clamping mechanism used on every stem they've made to date. They're back in back.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Meh, only 3 months late. Not bad for how terrible this industry is at delivering on time. I mean cripes, you make the stuff in-house and can't deliver lol. That said, guess I'll put in my order Monday! ;) And thanks to Thomson for dropping the silly steerer clamp. :thumb:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I like the torque call out that's lazer etched. It's cool but not really that much cooler than any other stem to date, oh well everybody's gotta have one on emptybeer and fuschiabike so we might as well get 'em too.

Says patent pending, what's to patent? Can anybody make out that number and post a link to the patent application, I'm to lazy to do it myself.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
What was wrong with the old clamping method? I'm not saying it's superior, but I've never had any problems with it.
The only problem with the clamping method is people who can't install them correctly and post bad reviews about how the stem won't stay put. I'm sure Thomson isn't blind to the fact that a hamfisted mechanic with no torque wrench can turn all his friends off to the stem...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Echo said:
What was wrong with the old clamping method? I'm not saying it's superior, but I've never had any problems with it.
they are not good stems for weight-weenies, they are quite heavy compared to most XC stems.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Bulldog said:
The EA70 also comes in 31.8 though.
Meh, extra weight I dont need, less stem choice and I am not worried about stregnth of the ea70.

Dont really see the point, I had raceface diablous 31.8 bar and stem last year and it felt no better then my ea70/thomson combo.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Shmoe said:
Dont really see the point
Stiffness and durability. If you can't feel the difference that's great, one less upgrade for you to worry about. I could so it's worth it for me.