Quantcast

New Shimano style 2012 XTR vs XT brakes

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
What are the differences?Aside from the obvious, I cant really tell if one as significantly more bite than the other..Anyone as had experience with both?

chup29

Chimp
Sep 9, 2009
Ashland
i have both - running the xtr's on my m9 with 8 inch rotors front and rear for about 4 months now and i have to say - they are without a doubt - the best brakes ive ever had. Im around 195-200 pounds and they stop me real real quick... the adjustments work well - its just the best - and their chrome - which is a bonus...

i can't tell you as much about the xt's - they havent been mounted on my all mountain bike yet so i havent ridden them but they look almost identical. Same pads, same lever, the lever body is slightly different, just because its not chrome but i honestly cant tell much of a difference...

id buy the xtr's because they are chrome and then you can tell everyone about your sexxxtr brakes... or you can just buy the xt's...

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
most interested in someone comparing the new xt/xtr brakes with the m810 saints.

power, lever feel, etc.

meattray

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
i have 2012 xtr levers with saint calibers. pure sex! best lever ever!
I rode a week with Xtrs in Whistler on my DH bike stop like a dream all day.
But I wonder the same as I'm building a trail bike. and don't want to pay twice the price for a slight weight penalty.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
thanks guys..Had the chance to try the XTR's on a DH bike and Im now building a trail bike...Same thing here, I dont really want to spend twice as much just to save a bit of weight and hoping the XT's would deliver roughly the same power.

@Uncle Cliffy : before you take the dremel out , I recommend your try sticking a small velcro band on the lever blade.I too was going to drill out holes in my levers after trying the XTR's...Ive used the hooking part of a velcro and it works like a charms...it gives your finger way more grip...

Anyhow, thought I should mentioned, its worth the try and so cheap...Most of my buddies are doing the same as well now and I just refreshed the velcros after several months of riding the park nearly everyday.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
@Uncle Cliffy : before you take the dremel out , I recommend your try sticking a small velcro band on the lever blade.I too was going to drill out holes in my levers after trying the XTR's...Ive used the hooking part of a velcro and it works like a charms...it gives your finger way more grip...

Anyhow, thought I should mentioned, its worth the try and so cheap...Most of my buddies are doing the same as well now and I just refreshed the velcros after several months of riding the park nearly everyday.
Thanks for the tip! The feeling difference I have also comes from running the XTs with Saint Calipers. They're thirsty, and the XT's have to use a little more throw to keep up. I'm liking them a lot better than the Saint levers though...

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Thanks for the tip! The feeling difference I have also comes from running the XTs with Saint Calipers. They're thirsty, and the XT's have to use a little more throw to keep up. I'm liking them a lot better than the Saint levers though...
Anyone bled the new style levers? Better/worse than the old ones to bleed? Because I've been finding the old ones seemed to trap air in a lot of annoying places, and it takes ages to clear it all out.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
So are you talking the 985's? I need something new for next year's sled.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I've got XTR and slx brakes. XTR xt and slx all have the same power, pads, ceramic pistons and feel. XTR is 30 g lighter, has a more durable lever and a 1 piece caliper which could be stiffer. The lever blade is different as is the servo wave cam on all 3. The slx blade will probably bend more easily.

With the bleed funnel bleeding is easy. Since the resi is up above the mc air rises up there and out of harms way and is easy to remove. No mess either.

I feel they're all the best feeling and best quality for their respective classes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Krispy - how different is the bleed process for the new style levers from the older style? I'm on 2007-era levers on several bikes, and actually have the clamp mount bleed kit from shimano for them. Does it work with the newer models?