Quantcast

New Rock Garden @ local DH... help

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
A coulpe of buddies and I are attempting to make a new rock garden section @ our local DH course, but I was wondering if there is anything special to it, should we just place the rocks anywhere we want, or should we dig small holes so they'll stay firmly, any positive feedback is greatly appriciated. :)

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
johnbrittain said:
A coulpe of buddies and I are attempting to make a new rock garden section @ our local DH course, but I was wondering if there is anything special to it, should we just place the rocks we want, or should we dig small holes so they'll stay firmly, any POSITIVE feedback is greatly appriciated. :)

I would dig holes and have them firmly put in but not all right on top of each and them I would throw some loose ones in there to fill the holes. Also dig a trench around the out side and firmly secure the outside rocks so that they don't move and also work as the border to keep the rest of them contained. The reason not barry all of them is so it is like a natural rock garden so rocks can move to make it harder and also it won't always be the same every time.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bring 5x the amount of rock you think you need. It doesn't go very far. 3 pickup loads of rock and broken concrete and we had a 15' long, 6' wide section of rocks at our course. Try to stabilize any large pieces and leave the smaller ones loose fitting inbetween. Its not good to have the big chunks rolling about..

I'd also suggest picking out interesting pieces that might be suitable for lips to gap the rock garden too ;)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd say you need fewer and larger rocks. Make it so you have to pick a good line or trust your bash ring. Bury the rocks 1/3 to 1/2 way so they won't move but leave 10" or more sticking up. Space them so they're just close enough that if you have enough momentum you can roll through, any less speed and you'll get hung up.