Quantcast

New "pre-cut" spike tire from Maxxis?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
First off the new Kona looks fantastic, I'd say one of the best looking bikes out there (the bullet thing is just whatever). Look at how the tubes line up front to back...amazing.

About the tires, those were the first thing i noticed when i saw the shot as well, they look fantastic dont they? Less 'cut spike' and more all around mid conditions looking...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
actually the more i look at them the more they look like tioga factory dh 2.5's back in the day...

which i had a soft spot for.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
You're right. Aside from the compund used, and crap sidewall, and the squirm of the knobs, the tire was actualy good for it's time.

Didn't it evolve into the 'turtle' or something?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
You're right. Aside from the compund used, and crap sidewall, and the squirm of the knobs, the tire was actualy good for it's time.

Didn't it evolve into the 'turtle' or something?
yeah back in the late 90's early 2000's i loved that thing for xc/dh/trials you name it...yeah black turtle or something...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
On topic, the bike does look great (and the graphics on Aggy's bike look awesome) and whatever those Maxxis tires are look pretty awesome too.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
actually the more i look at them the more they look like tioga factory dh 2.5's back in the day...

which i had a soft spot for.
i still have four of those brand new! all fronts. i bought them at cambria in some kind of close out they were having. they really look like modern cut spikes.

but those maxxis tires must be something new. my local lbs sells konas and put that post on their site and i was thinking the same thing...the bike's OK but those what are those tires?!! i ain't buying a carbon operator but i would buy a set of those tires for my old sunday!

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
looking at it side by side with the wet scream, looks more wet scream, except there is a single, wide center knob every 3rd row.
Yup, braking traction, my man!

I designed the tire to compete against the Hillbilly and the Muddy Mary. When going to the WetScream, most all of the Maxxis sponsored riders trim the knobs. And even then, they're not usually happy with the volume of the casing. This tire addresses both issues. I wanted the tire to excel in muddy and loamy conditions, but perform well everywhere. I'm hoping this is a tire that you can throw on your bike and leave it on, no matter the conditions, and not be too much of a compromise.

Of course, b/c I left Maxxis before the prototypes arrived, I haven't heard any feedback. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this tire.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I designed the tire to compete against the Hillbilly and the Muddy Mary. When going to the WetScream, most all of the Maxxis sponsored riders trim the knobs. And even then, they're not usually happy with the volume of the casing. This tire addresses both issues. I wanted the tire to excel in muddy and loamy conditions, but perform well everywhere. I'm hoping this is a tire that you can throw on your bike and leave it on, no matter the conditions, and not be too much of a compromise.

Of course, b/c I left Maxxis before the prototypes arrived, I haven't heard any feedback. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this tire.
sweet digs. I've got a couple wet screams sitting around, but they rarely get used (only ever been on my bike at mt snow). As awesome as those tires are, they are a little too condition specific. This new tire seems like more of a general muddy condition tire. Was it intended to replace the swamp things? or will those tires still exist side by side?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I found the swampthings to be pretty terrain specific as well. Ran a set for bromont mud, and they were fine in some spots but then the widely spaced lugs would loose a lot of traction if the ground was firm or dry in spots. These seem to be more of an all around tire. Could be something great for us east coasters.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
WHITE TIGERS is what i thought as soon as i seen that tire i had a similar tire on my old 05 Kona Stinky
ha yep, they were def my fav tire back the...I have always been a fan of square moto block style treads, took me a while to get used to DHF's as my go to...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I'm hoping this is a tire that you can throw on your bike and leave it on, no matter the conditions, and not be too much of a compromise.
Amen - this is basically my dream tire hopefully some details come out soon on these guys...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What was the final verdict on the Sam Hill turbo edition Hillbilly EVO skinwall tufo sewups EXO tires? People seemed to love them, then they died down. These new maxxiis seem similar in function....would be curious to hear thoughts.

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
This new tire seems like more of a general muddy condition tire. Was it intended to replace the swamp things? or will those tires still exist side by side?
I didn't really intend for the tire to replace anything, though I could see that happening. I remember Swampthing sales #'s are pretty low, and none of the sponsored riders run them (that I know of). So perhaps it should be discontinued. But Maxxis tends to be afraid of discontinuing any tire... so who knows what will happen.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I also love the look of this tire, but I find it interesting that I didn't see team specialized pull out the Hill Billy that often last year. Did I just miss it, or is the tire not as versatile as we thought?

If I was still in the UK, I'd be all over the Hill Billy and this new Maxxis.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Jesus Christ ppl. This thread is about tires and at the very least a new kona. Stop getting all butthurt about a couple bullet stickers.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
It's less about the tires or the stickers, and more about some peoples' need to feel right about something. The battle is fierce because the stakes are so low.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I tried my best to sanitize the thread, let's not have to do it again. There is a politics forum for people to debate gun control, and it isn't the DH forum.