Quantcast

New NoTubes rim (almost DH)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

The Flow EX rim looks much better than the Flow for big tires and heavy use. It looks like a perfect burly AM rim and may make a good DH rim but I'd still like thicker sidewalls to withstand dents and another millimeter or two of internal width would be nice. It's only 490g (20g more than Flow) so another 30g+ of beefiness would still make a very light DH rim.
Here's hoping a NoTubes DH rim is around the corner.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
early reports are that the edge dents too easily. I'm waiting for now.

Meanwhile I picked up a pair of flows for the Nomad since Stans site was selling them for $50.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
^I guess they were trying to keep weight at a light AM level but with that width you're asking for people to run big tires and ride'em hard. More like burly AM/FR/DH. Thicker sidewalls would really help the dent resistance while still being lighter than anything else at that width.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
There is a great Notubes licensed DH rim from Sun that comes on their ADD wheelsets.

It's not available aftermarket(yet, hopefully) but I've really enjoyed running them over the last year. It' has eyelets too!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I remember checking that out and was surprised that its kind of heavy, around 600g right? Also less than 32 spokes so even if I could get one as a "replacement" it wouldn't suit my wheel builds.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
^^^ its a 1995g wheel set, according to sun ringle ^^^

built with dbl butted spokes and their jumping flea 190g/300g hubs

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The 600g figure may have been from the old ADD wheels. I doubt they advertise the weight of the above rim alone, as is it specifically only available as a complete wheel, presumably due to licensing terms.

I have that ADD Pro wheelset, and they measured right at 2000g, as claimed.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
I have these, and have been fairly happy with them. You will need to keep a sharp eye on spoke tension and I recommend having some spare spokes, nipples, and rim tape.

You will also need a short section of 3/4" PVC to install the 20mm adapters. I cut a two inch section and filed away a bit of the outer edge, so I don't have to remove the rotor in a pinch.