Quantcast

New Mongoose

ezl_oo

Chimp
Jun 11, 2009
West New York, NJ
Hey guys I just picked up my first new 2009 Mongoose Fireball mountain bike yesterday. I really like the bike alot and looks really good. I used it really briefly as I only did a short commute on it. I will be taking pictures tomorrow. There are only a few things about it that I really didn't like and hopefully will be changing.

1. Seat is very hard and uncomfortable.

2. The front and back brakes aren't too good. When I press them both in fully it doesn't fully stop me on the spot. I would have liked to tried some rolling stoppies, but there is no way that I will be able to do this with these brakes. I hope that it can be adjusted or maybe I will have to buy better brakes. Any suggestions on this or upgrading to good brakes without breaking the bank (I would like to do some rolling stoppies)?

3. The bike is really a little heavier than I wanted. Can you guys give me any suggestions to lighten up the bike a little. I know switching to single speed could knock off some weight, but I like the different gears as I will also be using this bike for some trails and a little commuting.

I can't complain about nothing else. I will have to now put the bike to it's real use and hit some jumps, stairs, and trails. I will appreciate any feedback. I don't really know if this bike is considered a DJ bike or Freeride or DH, so excuse me if I posted in the wrong section.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
congrats on the new ride, that's always a fun time.

For seats I guess it's personal preference, I don't sit down much so it's not that major for me.

Dunno what rolling stoppies are, rolling is the opposite of stop so you got me. Also I don't run brakes so can't help there.

How tall and heavy are you? When you say it's a little heavier than you wanted, how much heavier is it? How much weight are you trying to shed? Reason I ask is cuz you can do a couple mods to shave a little and keep it cheap, cut seatpost, tires, drivetrain... But if you're talking multiple pounds I would think it'd get expensive by having to get lighter wheels, forks...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I am not specifically familiar with ProMax disc brakes, but in general you should not have to upgrade your brakes. Take it back to the shop and make them dial in your brakes. There is no excuse for brand new disc brake not bringing you to an immediate skid.

If the bike shop guy shrugs and tells you to upgrade to hydraulic brakes, he is full of bs. If he tells you that "oh you just have give the pads/rotor some time to break in" ask him to break them in for you and you'll come back to pick up your new bike at no charge when it's ready. More likely, the shop didn't lube the inside of the brake cable housing or there is something else not adjusted right.

As for the weight thing, don't worry about it. Dirt Jump MTB's are supposed to be heavier than cross-country mtb's. Heavy bikes are good to learn to jump on because they are stable.

2009 Mongoose Fireball (reg. $549.99)

Specs:

FRAME: Flat Top Tube Technology (F3T) Mongoose 6061 Aluminum Jumping with Shaped Toptube and Downtube, Rectangular Seatstays and Chainstays, Disc Mount with Cable/Hose Guides
FORK: RST Launch T8 with Preload Adjust, 100mm travel
DRIVETRAIN: 8-speed with SRAM X-4 Rear Derailleur, SRAM X-4 Shifter, TruVativ Blaze Crankset with Bashguard, 36t Chainring and MRP SB3 Chainguide
BRAKESET: ProMax Mechanical Disc, 160mm rotors

Last edited:

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
Welcome to the forum.
You said you want to ride jumps, and do some street riding, I would recommend going with a singlespeed gear setup. Once you've been jumping, you may notice that the chain likes to bounce a lot, and constantly pop out of gear.

Like mentioned above, there aren't really "comfortable" seats. Now days, people go for a light, good looking seat, which is all the market really has to offer. Dirt jumping and street riding doesn't really require you to sit down very much, which it isn't a big issue to everyone else, so they shave to padding to shave some weight.

Farkel

Chimp
Apr 23, 2009
Union City, California
Most likely your ass hasn't been broken in yet (not in the prison sense)... just keep riding and you'll get used to it. If you're mainly going to dj and street drop the seat down. Raise it up for trail riding I guess

ezl_oo

Chimp
Jun 11, 2009
West New York, NJ
Thanks for the info and help!! I want to use the bike on the occasional commute so that is the main reason I want to keep the gears. As far as the seat I guess I will have to deal with it...lol I'm 5' 10" and weigh 225 lbs, I'm very husky. I want to shed maybe like around 5 to 10 lbs. I'm guessing to do that I will have to upgrade my forks and wheels/tires, which will get expensive. Any thoughts on good light wheels/tires and forks? Also I want to keep the front brakes as I like to do rolling stoppies (when you go fast and hit the front brakes just enough to get the back of the bike in the air and start to roll on the front wheel) with my motorcycle and want to do some on my bike. I will check with the local shop on the brakes!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Thanks for the info and help!! I want to use the bike on the occasional commute so that is the main reason I want to keep the gears. As far as the seat I guess I will have to deal with it...lol I'm 5' 10" and weigh 225 lbs, I'm very husky. I want to shed maybe like around 5 to 10 lbs. I'm guessing to do that I will have to upgrade my forks and wheels/tires, which will get expensive. Any thoughts on good light wheels/tires and forks? Also I want to keep the front brakes as I like to do rolling stoppies (when you go fast and hit the front brakes just enough to get the back of the bike in the air and start to roll on the front wheel) with my motorcycle and want to do some on my bike. I will check with the local shop on the brakes!
u want to shed 5 to 10 lbs. ? eat plain salad for lunch, ride bike every day, cut down on the lager.

"rolling stoppies" are called nose wheelies or nose manuals in bmx. they used to be done by feathering the brakes (see Jay Miron, Dennis McCoy, Dave Osato), but now dudes do them brakeless.....

i haven't seen any super dialed ones being done on a suspension fork, but there's probably someone out there who does them.

http://www.woozybmx.com/blog/woozybmx/longest-nose-manual-on-a-ledge/

Last edited:

ezl_oo

Chimp
Jun 11, 2009
West New York, NJ
u want to shed 5 to 10 lbs. ? eat plain salad for lunch, ride bike every day, cut down on the lager.

"rolling stoppies" are called nose wheelies or nose manuals in bmx. they used to be done by feathering the brakes (see Jay Miron, Dennis McCoy, Dave Osato), but now dudes do them brakeless.....
lmao...no my bad I meant that I want to shed 5 to 10 lbs off my bike lol. Any suggestions where to start and how much I'm looking to spend?

Ok...I didn't know they were called like that in bmx.

Also, I want to keep my geared drivetrain as I like to do trails and commute too. So, is there a geared drivetrain that is lighter than the one I have.

Apr 14, 2002
Los Osos, California
The more you ride the bike you will notice the bikes weight less because you get used to it, and it gets you in shape. Also, you will notice a MUCH more beneficial and less expensive way to see improvement in your riding is to get yourself in better shape. I am 6' and used to be 250lbs a few years back,but I started jogging and eating smarter (no more than 1 soda a day,not having huge desert) and the weight started coming off and it feels amazing. I have been about 185-200 since then and I am stronger, faster and feel WAY better. Bike riding is not the only thing it makes you better at either...

Last edited:

ezl_oo

Chimp
Jun 11, 2009
West New York, NJ
The more you ride the bike you will notice the bikes weight less because you get used to it, and it gets you in shape. Also, you will notice a MUCH more beneficial and less expensive way to see improvement in your riding is to get yourself in better shape. I am 6' and used to be 250lbs a few years back,but I started jogging and eating smarter (no more than 1 soda a day,not having huge desert) and the weight started coming off and it feels amazing. I have been about 185-200 since then and I am stronger, faster and feel WAY better. Bike riding is not the only thing it makes you better at either...
Yea I know...I'm hoping that the more riding I do I will shed a few pounds along the way. Hopefully cut back on some of the burgers and beers...lol