Quantcast

New lowers on a 05 888

Coopie

Chimp
Nov 22, 2004
Changing the oil in my 05 888 RC I discovered a crack in the middle of the arch. Called marzocchi and purchased new lowers. Rebuilding it I noticed the lower bolts do not get tight. They are not leaking oil, but they never stop turning. Also noticed after the parking lot test the initial travel is way too "loose". I use loose because the lowers have play up and down while the bike is unweighted. Wondering if its related to the loose bolts, or not enough oil. Anyone have the same problem?

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
Someone told me the looseness has to do with play in the bushings. And also, the lower bolts spin freely with the damping cartridge i do believe, so they won't ever be "tight" Kind of hard to explain

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
If your 888 is anything like my 66 the footnuts should not keep spinning. They only do that because there is nothing to hold the cartridge in place to prevent it from doing so while you tighten the footnut. What I do is just stuff a rag down with a dowel so it puts enough pressure on the cartridge to allow the footnut to tighten without spinning the cartridge. I have also read about using an impact wrench that will spin the nut faster than the cartridge. I have never used this method so I do not know how it works.

My old 888 had some "dead" space like that where it would sag into its travel. No big deal really. Up and down play is not worn out bushings like the previous poster suggested, worn bushings would manifest themselves as a fore/aft play. Stick your finger between the arch and stanction, hold the front brake, and rock the bike back and forth. If you feel your finger getting squished (and not by fork compression), then your bushings would be loose.

As long as you filled the fork according to Marzocchi specifications I doubt you have too little oil. I would try snugging up the footnuts as I described above then see how it feels.

Coopie

Chimp
Nov 22, 2004
Thanks guys. Marzocchi told me to use an air racket on a low setting the bolts will tighten. As for worn bushings, the lowers are brand new including seals and bushings. I should be set. I might add some more oil see how it feels in regards to the deep spot. I really Like it plush. I going to try to get a pic up too. Of the all black turner with white lowers. I think it looks pretty good. Never liked white anything being a residential house painter.

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
My old 888 had some "dead" space like that where it would sag into its travel. No big deal really. Up and down play is not worn out bushings like the previous poster suggested, worn bushings would manifest themselves as a fore/aft play. Stick your finger between the arch and stanction, hold the front brake, and rock the bike back and forth. If you feel your finger getting squished (and not by fork compression), then your bushings would be loose.

As long as you filled the fork according to Marzocchi specifications I doubt you have too little oil. I would try snugging up the footnuts as I described above then see how it feels.
Cool, good to know, I was just going by what a friend told me.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
To get the damper rods to stop spinning while tightening the bolts push down hard on the handlebars while wrenching. This should create enough bite between the rod end and the lowers.