Quantcast

New Jersey QR ban gets sillier.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Just grabbed this from bicycle retailer...

New Jersey Passes Bill Banning Quick Release Wheels

By Lynette Carpiet

JUNE 15, 2007 -- TRENTON, NJ (BRAIN)--The New Jersey bicycle business may be in serious trouble unless retailers and suppliers take immediate action. State legislators earlier this week approved a bill banning the sale of all bikes equipped with current quick release wheels and tabbed tips.

Under the bill, it would be illegal to sell bicycles with quick release wheels unless they met performance specifications that are not commercially available. Assembly bill A2686, which was introduced in February 2006, passed in the assembly with a vote of 77-3 and is now headed to the Senate Commerce Committee.

While originally drafted to ban quick release wheels on children’s bikes, the bill was recently amended to include bikes with 20-inch or larger wheels. It also stipulates that the secondary retention device on a wheel meet certain specifications, including that it activate automatically and always prevent wheel separation.

“It’s being promoted as a bill intended to protect children,” said Bob Burns, Trek’s legal counsel and spokesman for the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association. “But the language would make every bicycle with quick release currently for sale in New Jersey illegal. This bill is not intended just for children’s bikes.”
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003599447

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
Who the hell, promotes this crap in Congress? Or even in state legislature? Seriously, if I was New Jersian, I would want my tax dollars being spent on something more "necessary" then a futile debate over something that I doubt anyone involved, other than that guy from Trek, even has a solid grasp of.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It was only children's bikes and now it had been amended to all bikes
It hasn't been amended. It looks more like they forgot to change the legislation when they decided to make it 20 inches or smaller and people are just running with the story with the misprints. The original intent was for kids bikes even though they already have federal QR restrictions on kids bikes.

Its the usual show to make it look like they are doing something. Nothing to see here but legislators wasting time.

Basically, I pointed out that there may have been a “typo” with the second reprint. In section 2 of the bill, they describe that ”It shall be unlawful for any person to sell a bicycle intended for use by children with a front wheel diameter of 20 inches or less which is equipped with a quick release wheel, exclusive of specialty adult bicycles”.

A paragraph later, they state that “ It shall be unlawful practice for any person to sell a bicycle which is equipped with a quick release wheel if:

(a) the front wheel diameter is greater than 20 inches: or
(b) it is a specialty adult bicycle with a front wheel diameter of 20 inches or less.”

It also states later in the paragraph that “The sale of a bicycle which meets the following conditions shall not be considered an unlawful practice under paragraph (1) of this subsection:

(a) The quick release wheel is equipped with both a primary and a secondary retention device: and
(b) The secondary retention device conforms to the following performance specification:
(i) The secondary retention device activates automatically when the wheel is placed in the fork dropouts;”

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I have a solution to this:

1.) Anyone that doesn't check their childs' bike before a ride should be summarily stoned and shot so they cannot breed any longer.

2.) The child will be made to watch and will be charged for the bullet used.

3.) Any child that grows up, has kids' of their own, and doesn't check their offsprings' bike, forfeits entire bloodlines' privilege of living.

4.) New Jersey falls into ocean.

:cheers:

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
wow, i didn't know they could make the state i live in any ****tier with inspection lift laws, emissions, the nuclear power plants, pollution...bike helmet laws, i love arguing with cops, and now this..ill be sure to ride a quick release on every bike i own.

even when i was too young to work on my bike i was intelligent enough to feel my front end wobble..and how will it fall, since when do little kids go djing, or go off the ground?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Ok - someone in NJ has to tell the media about this... they love this type of sh*t and it will make the legislature look stupid.

EDIT - by media I mean TV... bigger impact and they can have fun witht he story...

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I don't like option #4 at least until I can get myself and my family except for my uncle on my father's side of the family out of the state. That uncle can go down with the rest of the swine.

This really doesn't suprise me at all, thanks to the inept fools at Walmart and Target for PIIOCB.

...even when i was too young to work on my bike i was intelligent enough to feel my front end wobble..and how will it fall, since when do little kids go djing, or go off the ground?
You don't need to be jumping to lose a front wheel. When I lost mine it was on pavement when I hit a depression in the pavement about an inch deep.

The proposed law's still stupid.

Mordax

Monkey
Sep 13, 2003
Redding, CA
You don't need to be jumping to lose a front wheel. When I lost mine it was on pavement when I hit a depression in the pavement about an inch deep.

The proposed law's still stupid.
ya i lost my back wheel off my trials bike by just cranking really hard. jammed into the brake and basically pile-drived me into the ground. pretty damn funny looking back on it

and yes, that law is retarded