Quantcast

New Jersey (Caution: Grateful Dead Cont.)

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
JohnE said:
15 years ago, sure. But now, you may as well buy a Journey jersey.
Used to love the Dead, but now...
Whoa, if you are comparing them to Journey, then you never were a fan!

And for me, their hay day's were the late 70's particularly '77. Still my alltime favorite. Their music is timeless and doesn't have to only be enjoyed during a certain period. I still catch a lot of Phil and Bobby shows and those guys throw it down just as hard as ever. Jerry will always be fondly missed.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I Are Baboon said:
I swear I thought this was about a Greatful Dead show in New Jersey.

Don't use a capital J next time. :mad:

:D
I tried to edit it afterwards, but it won't let me edit the title :mumble: ;)

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
No, no, big Dead fan.
But now, the Dead are "Classic rock" which is almost as much a kiss of death as success in the punk world. And when you hear Casey Jones blasting out of an H2, and the 17 y/o driver doesnt know Sugar Magnolia, and was attracted to the band because of th edrug culture associated with them, it gets a little tired...
And Journey, well, that was the cheesiest band I could think of at the time!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
JohnE said:
No, no, big Dead fan.
But now, the Dead are "Classic rock" which is almost as much a kiss of death as success in the punk world. And when you hear Casey Jones blasting out of an H2, and the 17 y/o driver doesnt know Sugar Magnolia, and was attracted to the band because of th edrug culture associated with them, it gets a little tired...
And Journey, well, that was the cheesiest band I could think of at the time!

Well, the cool thing is, music is what you make of it. I don't care about the 17yr. old kid blasting Casey Jones. I care about the band that helped shape who I am today. I care about the music that has moved me and motivated me over the years. I care about a group of musicians I highly admire and respect. :cool:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
From '86 - '96, I spent many evenings enjoying the Dead, their music and the travelling circus that followed them everywhere. They were certainly the most memorable memories that I can barely remember to this day! I was hiking/shrooming/toking with friends in Dismal Falls, VA the day Jerry died and recall spending the rest of that Summer evening listening to his music on the rocks where a waterfall emptied into a trout pool. It was a solemn event until one of my buddies slipped on a mossy boulder above the falls, fell into the rushing water, dropped his carried shoes and then spent the next 30 seconds chasing them down the cascades before they finally went over the lip and were submerged beneath the waterfall. A girl in a swimsuit camping at the pool volunteered to go in and retrieve my bud's soaking sneakers, and we all ended up laughing away the evening together. Say what you want about them, but the Dead for me always meant good times with good friends making good mischief.

jugdish

Chimp
Jul 10, 2001
Colorado
JohnE said:
"Classic rock"
Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA (2/26/77)

Terrapin Station
New Minglewood Blues
They Love Each Other
Estimated Prophet
Sugaree
Mama Tried
Deal
Playin' in the Band
The Wheel
Playin' in the Band

Samson and Delilah
Tennessee Jed
Music Never Stopped
Help on the Way
Slipknot!
Franklin's Tower
Promised Land
Eyes of the World
Dancin' in the Streets
Around and Around

U.S. Blues

- F-in' A right!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Right on llkoolkeg. I love Dismal Falls. I spent the day Jerry passed up at Mcafee's knob with some buds. I see you are from fredvegas, did you grow up with Keller and crew? I know quite a few of that collective.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Totally right, the music doesnt change. We all have our own cool memories of good times while listening to whatever bands you listen to. I still (and always will) listen to all my old Dead, and still dont take things too seriously...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
mud'n'sweat said:
Right on llkoolkeg. I love Dismal Falls. I spent the day Jerry passed up at Mcafee's knob with some buds. I see you are from fredvegas, did you grow up with Keller and crew? I know quite a few of that collective.
I actually grew up in NVA(W. Springfield, to be precise) and only moved up to Fredneck after graduating college(Radford U.) and getting married. I'm not quite sure to who or what you are referring.

Is Mcafee's Knob that place near Dublin, VA on the mountain ridge that the VA Tech Hangliding Club used to take off from? If so, that is where we were hanging out prior to driving to Dismal Falls that day. We left because it was so windy up there, we couldn't light up our cheeba easily...that plus this guy was up there with his chick trying to get busy after a picnic lunch in their blanket and we were more interested in partying than blueballing/cockblocking that guy.

Besides Tech home football games, the other places we regularly hung out were all along the New River, The Cascades, Claytor Lake, Pandapas Pond, Brush Mountain, Top o' the Stairs and Sharkey's.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Mcafee's is actually on the AT closer to Salem. It is also real close to Dragon's Tooth and Carvin's Cove

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
jugdish said:
Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA (2/26/77)

Terrapin Station
New Minglewood Blues
They Love Each Other
Estimated Prophet
Sugaree
Mama Tried
Deal
Playin' in the Band
The Wheel
Playin' in the Band

Samson and Delilah
Tennessee Jed
Music Never Stopped
Help on the Way
Slipknot!
Franklin's Tower
Promised Land
Eyes of the World
Dancin' in the Streets
Around and Around

U.S. Blues

- F-in' A right!
Nice! That show happened on my 6th birthday.

Thank you Jerry! (For everything)

ChrisL

Chimp
Jul 7, 2006
That jersey is sweet! Do you know where I can get one? I'll even send some 77 shows your way!