Quantcast

New GT prototype spotted

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Hopefully they've cured some of the maintenance issues with the current(old?) Fury. I loved that bike, hated that I spent more time in the pits working on it than riding it.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Bikes ride much differently than people think when taken off the internet and on to proper trails. Weird how that works.
As someone has pointed out before, the internet is the hardest place to ride.
It's a much cleaner looking design, although now it's open to the "looks like a (insert other bike here)" comments.

And no skid marks!

I c no car bone either.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I just think it's crazy how everyone's sweatin' their nuts over these new carbon DH bikes, but GT has had a modern (maybe geometry aside) carbon DH bike for how many years? And it seems like there is very little recognition of that. Hopefully for them that will change with the Athertons and their new design.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
You're certainly correct the carbon Fury has been out for awhile now, but I think it wasn't widely embraced due its weight (basically the same as most alum competitors) and the geo, as you mentioned. And some people still think it will ride like a Klein Mantra.

New one looks killer, and I'm sure the athertons provided a lot of valuable design input.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
GT built the Fury to last. While most plastic racers are saying "Hey my 1-season bike is 34 pounds and $9000 so I can come 7th in sport class !", GT says "This bike will last you 4 seasons while you move up classes."

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
To those still thinking everyone is talking about the gt fury, go google the gt lobo dh c. 1998

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
GT built the Fury to last. While most plastic racers are saying "Hey my 1-season bike is 34 pounds and $9000 so I can come 7th in sport class !", GT says "This bike will last you 4 seasons while you move up classes."
No argument that GT designed the Furys to be super durable, but there are a lot of alum frames that would also last 4 seasons and still weigh the same, and likely cost less. As for the new "1 season, 34 lb" carbon frames, I have a hard time believing mid-pack sport racers are going to be exploding V-10c's in a season, if ever. While I applaud GT for making the initial jump into the world of carbonium, I think there is *a lot* of room for improvement and I hope if they make a new carbon Fury, it will incorporate many of the same advances the other manufacturers have demonstrated.

But in the end, all of the modern carbonz are second rate compared to this thoroughbred:

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
It's hard to list all the epicness presented by that technological wonder (the Proflex), but here's a couple highlights I noticed:

* that fvcking fender...and to think manufacturers are only now offering frames with these technological miracles. Monkies rejoice!

* 4 bolt XTR cranks, which I thought only came in a 5 bolt pattern.

* Noleen smart shock > CCDB

* Girvin > Obama

* semi-internal cable routing

* seat post drop = shock contact

* Proflex...really? You intentionally went with "Proflex"?

In retrospect, I should've just absconded with that thing in the name of historical comedy and drunken bar crawls.

EDIT - Dropmachine just won the thread. Oh mah spaghetti monster....

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
For a while I seriously thought GT Fury is the carbon equivalent of Tag wheels. The same philosophy for sure. Stuff breaks so let's use a ton of material to be safe.