Quantcast

New Fork, Travis.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
i finaly found the right fork for my freeride bike. it started off with a stance flow(broken), then i got a 3" 05 dj1(way to small), and for a short time it had a fox 40rc2(from my race bike). but now it finaly has a fork the fits it nicely.

the only problem is the knob on the fork hits the frame, does eny one have some ideas.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
i tryed that alredy, but there are some small spring loaded balls under the knob. and i like to adjust the compression damping depending on what i'm riding.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
Sir_Crackien said:
ahh just let the knob smack the frame a couple of times really good then it will clear. j/k
yeah i was also thining about just cutting out a notch in the frame.

it's an sc150 tpc+, i dont like the spv/platform style damping.

el-cid

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Anaconda, MT, USA
Cane Creek makes a headset with a lower cup that's 5mm taller than standard, that should be enough to help clear the down tube. Can't quite remember the name of it, but it has 5 in the name... BTW that pic. of you doing the road gap is siiiiick!

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
el-cid said:
Cane Creek makes a headset with a lower cup that's 5mm taller than standard, that should be enough to help clear the down tube. Can't quite remember the name of it, but it has 5 in the name... BTW that pic. of you doing the road gap is siiiiick!
Ventana makes one for Chris King headsets as well. I believe they have 2 different hieghts too.

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
Hey, I recognize that drop!! Wow, the Shore is already rideable this year? I can't wait for the snow to melt!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
atb said:
yeah i was also thining about just cutting out a notch in the frame.

it's an sc150 tpc+, i dont like the spv/platform style damping.

FYI, I have a Travis Instrinsic and it feels NOTHING like SPV.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
If a headset has a considerable amount more extension outside of the headtube with the same amount of insertion, won't it have a good deal more leverage on the headtube to ovalize it?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I rode one of those Travises on the front of my P3 for awhile this winter and really enjoyed it. Very nice fork for sure and it felt much more secure and capable than the 66 I had before.

Now I'm on a Pike and I love it the most of the three. Try one out! 426 is where its at.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
stgil888 said:
If a headset has a considerable amount more extension outside of the headtube with the same amount of insertion, won't it have a good deal more leverage on the headtube to ovalize it?
I suppose....but given the length of the fork and all that, it seems like amount of increase wouldn't be that much.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Its like nothing I've ridden before (Shiver, Slider+, Dorado). Its super soft and "in the parking lot" you can bottom the fork out. But on the trail I never feel it bottom, yet it uses all the travel. Unlike some other super soft forks, the Travis Intrinsic doesn't dive in corners and the last 3rd or so of the travel can be adjusted via the bottom out control knob. However the bottom out knob does more that just bottom out. It stiffens the last part of travel, but its still not a super progressive fork. It feels very linear, but you don't feel it bottom. Its crazy how good it works. I wish it had a little more high speed rebound. So far that's my only complaint.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
i checked and the canecreek head set wasing going to move it down enuf. so i'v taken off the knob. i might make a new knob at work if i get find some time. but it wont have the sexy clicks like the stock one.