Quantcast

New fork on Intense M1 2000/2001

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
I dont know where this topic has to be, so sorry if I posted it wrong.
I am searching for a new fork for my Intense M1.
I had a Monster T once, the old one and I have been wanting it back ever since I started using other forks. People on other forums have told me to lose the Monsters and get some Boxxers. I like their functionality (or whatever you call it) but I hate RS their service and maintenance plus that they dont feel strong enough to me, which might be my own problem due to the fact that I weigh about 70 kg (160 lbs) haha.
The old Monsters weigh about 4,2 kg (9,2 lbs) and the Boxxers about 3 kg (6,6 lbs). I have Jr T's on my bike now and they weigh about 3,2 kg (7 lbs) too. Is riding with 1 kg (2,2 lbs) extra on the front really that bad? I am not a real racing type of guy, I just want to have fun and not maintenance my fork every season.
Thanks in advance!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Get an 888 at 7.5 lbs or a DH40 at 7 lbs...... The 888 is a no maintenance fork and VERY reliable. You might need the drop crowns, too.

Mar 22, 2005
I have an 04 boxxer team that hasnt even been broken in yet I would sell you.
Also I have an old hanebrink w/a mavic d321 front wheel for sale.
PM me if ur interested.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Dude, he DOESN'T want another Boxxer or any other high maintenance, low performance fork like a Hannebrink AND he lives in Europe. Stop spamming.

Next

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
If the 888RC or 888R is too much, try checking out a Marzocchi Super T. It's lighter than anything you've been using, has Zocchi's reliablity, requires little maintence, easy to tune. Really though a Super T is just a better Junior T (much much better!)

My M1 has a Shiver DC on it. It's a little front heavy but it eats everything up. You could also go with a Sherman Slider, Boxxer (I know you didn't want one) or the Super T. Those forks all fit the lighter weight catagory, with decent performance and low maintence.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
who says boxxers are so high maintenance?
A bunch of my friends ride them and change the oil only once a year. If that's too much manintenance one shouldn't be riding an M1 in the first place. Race bikes do need to be looked after.
888 will make the bike front heavy, lift the BB high up, slacken the head angle to a level that won't help the fine geometry of an M1 to be fully useful. And its dampening performance isn't near boxxers or dorado's.

I'd say:boxxer, best balance between solid performance and reliability.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
BadFastard said:
who says boxxers are so high maintenance?
A bunch of my friends ride them and change the oil only once a year. If that's too much manintenance one shouldn't be riding an M1 in the first place. Race bikes do need to be looked after.
888 will make the bike front heavy, lift the BB high up, slacken the head angle to a level that won't help the fine geometry of an M1 to be fully useful. And its dampening performance isn't near boxxers or dorado's.

I'd say:boxxer, best balance between solid performance and reliability.
Damping performance not near a Boxxer? I'd have to disagree, and I run a Boxxer...With low crowns, a 888 should be spot on geometry wise.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
HRDTLBRO said:
Damping performance not near a Boxxer? I'd have to disagree, and I run a Boxxer...With low crowns, a 888 should be spot on geometry wise.
Yeah, my 8" 888 with low crowns and the internal headset on my DHR is a lower setup than the 7" Boxxer I once had. And there is no comparison damping wise. Both of my 888's have been spot on.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
7" 888...7" shiver...done. Super T or Dorado aren't bad choices either, but the Dorado requires a brief lube service every few weeks/months of riding depending on your schedule and conditions.

Don't sweat a pound or two unless weight on the front end is your personal pet peeve. That's not to say go buy a new Monster T, but a Shiver sure isn't the boat anchor some would make it out to be.

MD

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
Boxxers need oil maintenance every 50 (or 25?) hours right?
I dont have time now to give a good answer to all your replies but please keep the advices coming! Ill asnwer tonite.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
LOOnatic said:
No,you didn't.
See where he says he doesn't want to service his fork every season.
That just about rules out the Boxxer and Avy right there.
Here is a quote from the Avalanche site.

Forks are Maintenance free for 2 years, service consists of replacement of seals and bushings due to damaged lower legs or dented uppers.

2 years on a fork is not a lot of maintenance.

Brian HCM#1 said:
Here is a quote from the Avalanche site.

Forks are Maintenance free for 2 years, service consists of replacement of seals and bushings due to damaged lower legs or dented uppers.

Fine. I stand corrected.
I just can't see having that fork and not being sure its tip-top fresh every few months.
Thats what having a Boxxer has turned me into.. :eviltongu

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Brian HCM#1 said:
No it's not alot of maintenance at all EXCEPT the Avy costs like 3x+ what you can get a Super T for (or even the Boxxer Teams/blowout WC's).

Oil changes/lube must happen to any fork, but as far as bushings go, internal parts wearing out and such most forks now days have pretty good track records. You can't really go wrong with any newer designed fork.

And NO, Shiver's aren't boat anchor's like they are made out to be. If you're a bigger guy the Shiver works very well, especially for their price and the internals/parts are top notch. Just change the oil and ride basicly.

If you're into the inverted forks, the Dorado is a little lighter but does require a little more "fine tunning" then say the Shiver does. Nothing big though, just some lube. Either way let us know what you end up with :)

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
You can't go wrong with Marzocchi...I would get a 888 with the flat crowns.

On the other hand, if you're looking for the newest thing out there, you could pick up a Fox.

Personally, I won't ride anything but a Marzocchi...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
LOOnatic said:
Fine. I stand corrected.
I just can't see having that fork and not being sure its tip-top fresh every few months.
Thats what having a Boxxer has turned me into.. :eviltongu
I know of a few people that hasn't changed the oil in there Avy in over 3 years and they say it still feels like new.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Spunger said:
No it's not alot of maintenance at all EXCEPT the Avy costs like 3x+ what you can get a Super T for (or even the Boxxer Teams/blowout WC's).

Oil changes/lube must happen to any fork, but as far as bushings go, internal parts wearing out and such most forks now days have pretty good track records. You can't really go wrong with any newer designed fork.

And NO, Shiver's aren't boat anchor's like they are made out to be. If you're a bigger guy the Shiver works very well, especially for their price and the internals/parts are top notch. Just change the oil and ride basicly.

If you're into the inverted forks, the Dorado is a little lighter but does require a little more "fine tunning" then say the Shiver does. Nothing big though, just some lube. Either way let us know what you end up with :)
The Dorado isn't cheap, it's in the same ballpark as a Avy Ti.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
If you can get an '03 Super T, you'll be stoked. I really like those forks; reliable, light, plush and cheap. Some people don't like them because they can be a little divey, but you might not even notice that. My '04 Super T is pretty good too, but an '03 is just as good and should be a lot cheaper on the used market. Dorado's are rad, and you can find them used for cheap. There aren't a lot of used Avalanche forks out there. Oh yeah, btw, I think used is the way to go...

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
Did you guys read the original post? He said he didn't like the feel of the boxxer, and he was asking about if a lighter fork really matters that much. He wasn't looking for a discussion of whether or not a boxxer or avy was too high maintenance, or an 888 too tall, or shiver too flexy. WTF, guys? Not everything is about which fork you personally prefer.

Get the Moster back, if you like it, it will work fine. Being happy and confident with your equipment is more important than having the lightest or newest. Ride what you like, it's the only way.

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
I have pictures of Intense M1's with Monster T's and one guy I know rides with one. As the last reply is saying, maybe I didnt make it clear enough but:
Is it really that insane to stick a Monster T in my bike?

Thats what i was trying to ask when I told that people disagreed with putting the Monster on and told me to insert boxxers. What does the 2,5 lbs change on my bike, how bad is it for the M1 its feeling?

And does somebody know how often boxxers need servicing and how "fragile" they are? Maybe a little hard to tell but just tell me stuff about it.
Thanks!

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
You will probably get used to the weight of a Monster on the M1. Also keep in mind that the M1 is a race frame, that has been known to be a bit fragile, so sticking a massive fork in the headtube of a 5 year old frame may not be the best idea. I'm not saying it will fail...just to be weary. A Boxxer isn't all the hassle it's made out to be. Change the oil once or twice a year, wipe the dust seals after every ride, and apply some lube (i.e. Judy Butter) every few rides, and you should be good. It's a light, well performing fork if maintained...you will be giving up some damping performance, however.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
DukeNukem3d said:
I have pictures of Intense M1's with Monster T's and one guy I know rides with one. As the last reply is saying, maybe I didnt make it clear enough but:
Is it really that insane to stick a Monster T in my bike?

Thats what i was trying to ask when I told that people disagreed with putting the Monster on and told me to insert boxxers. What does the 2,5 lbs change on my bike, how bad is it for the M1 its feeling?

And does somebody know how often boxxers need servicing and how "fragile" they are? Maybe a little hard to tell but just tell me stuff about it.
Thanks!
Well a Monster ofcourse will add weight. 2.5lbs is more than it sounds. Hell I notice huge differences when I switched wheels which totalled atleast 3-4lbs difference from what I was using. It was a night and day difference. Especially being in fork, 2.5lbs is a decent weight gain.

You can put a Monster T on anything if you want to, nothing stops anyone. It is a heavy duty purpose fork. M1's are known for having headtube issues snapping off. Will it happen to you? Who really knows? Point is.....if you like the heavier fork and feel of it then do it. If you are set on something lighter than a Monster then you have some choices as well.

With the newer boxxers being 8" travel that's exactly what they needed. Though the 7" 2003's and 2004's World cups can be had pretty cheap, you can do the blackbox mod to them and they'll be fine. There are tons of Boxxer's out there so that sorta scratches out the reliablity issue. I think years ago they had seal issues and such but it's seemed to fade away. If I could get my hands on a 2004 or 2005 WC Boxxer I probably would. If you've ever looked up the Boxxer online there's some service videos and such I've seen and the Boxxer is really stupid simple to take apart and what not. Hell if you look at the photo's in mag's and online of all the racer pros/semi pro's and such you'll see alot on Boxxer's. They aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

There were a few riders here with M1's and Monster T's (no SuperMonster's!) and didn't seem to have any problems or issues. Just get what feels good to you and fits your budget. If it's a Boxxer so be it, or a Super T, or whatever else. Like said above you really can't go wrong with any fork. If the Monster feels the best to you then that's your fork. No one's gonna say anything about running a Monster T on a M1.

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
Thanks for the replies.

Ehm, I am starting to worry about the fact that the Monsters could injure my frame. However, as I have said, I know a guy who rides an M1 with Monsters and he is pretty big. His Intense has hold the fork quite well. I have seen this fork and this is the fork I would like to insert:

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/37/d2/6e_1_b.JPG

As people are hammering on the fact that boxxers will be better I am starting to get more loose of the Monster idea. As you can clearly see I am still in doubt about it all but the vision on the two gets more clear.

If I would insert a Boxxer, would I feel a great difference between the Race, Team and Worldcup? And which one would be best? Although I know the worldcup is the most expensive and will be the best in some perpective, is it best on all levels?

pZyteX

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Amsterdam
just get the monster and try it, if you don't like it you could always sell it again. Just make sure the steerer is long enough.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
DukeNukem3d said:
If I would insert a Boxxer, would I feel a great difference between the Race, Team and Worldcup? And which one would be best? Although I know the worldcup is the most expensive and will be the best in some perpective, is it best on all levels?
They go sorta low/middle/high end on their model lines. I think I'd just bypass the race as the Team and Worldcup are pretty similar. As far as past years forks you could do some "blackbox" tunning to the Team's and make them very well for not much $$$. The World Cups have the different finish on the stanchions and this year I believe (possibly last too) Ti springs in the legs. The Race is their entry level fork so I dunno how performance wise it works but the Team and WC are the higher forks.

I also wanna say Boxxer's aren't sold with the top crowns? I remember a catch with that, when you bought one you then had to request a tall/short crown. Now that the 05's have direct mount stem upper crowns that makes it a little more desireable. Romic had crowns for the boxxers as well that was a nice upgrade because of the stem. That's another thing to think about.

Again, I'd try and see how the Monster works out though. Put it this way, if you're trail-riding with the M1 and Monster T's and doing just normal stuff then the frame will be fine. If you're going to launch it off doubles and case them front end first, or huck it, then it's not going to matter what fork you have on it. I've seen M1's in the Redbull stuff, many freeride videos, and races and never seen one with a issue BUT they are all riding pretty smooth. I imagine some that have cracked or split the headtube were bad crashes that would probably do it to any bike. You see where I'm going? If you're into hucking of any sort the M1 wasn't the best choice, but if racing/riding and such it should be fine.

My Shiver's like one step below a Monster and I have no worries or fears. The only fear is I can't use the bike to it's abilities but that's not the bikes fault :think:

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
I am still thinking of installing Boxxers so this thread is going in another direction.

I heard Boxxers are not so good in 2003 and 2004. In 2002 and 2005 they were better, is that right?
And I heard people saying that the chrome fell if there Worldcup fork if they didnt pay good attention to it. That would be a good reason to buy a Team for me...

In England most people first bring their forks to Tim Flooks because the Boxxers dont come that perfect right out of the box. Is that true?

Thanks!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I have a 2002 ti-nitride fork and appart from a problem with the initial oil seals the fork has been great. I like the way it rides and the damping. I like my rebound to be pretty fast so I've no complaints there. The fork can spike a little on big hits, but this is pretty dependant on the oil weight and levels.

I think if you were getting a 2005 fork, the Team is the one to get if money is a concern. I don't think you'd notice the difference between that and the World cup.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
jon-boy said:
I think if you were getting a 2005 fork, the Team is the one to get if money is a concern. I don't think you'd notice the difference between that and the World cup.
This is not spam.......but just FYI......go-ride's pricing and listings...

The 2005 WC, it costs $1035, and it's only differences are Ti springs in each leg and the "slippery-silver" coating on the legs.

The 2005 Team is $795. So for $240 more you get "slippery-silver" coating and Ti springs. If you got the money and want it go for it, otherwise I'd spend it somewhere else.

I agree with above, not much difference is to be had, just short of a couple things that's it. Mind you the Ti springs if you need heavier/lighter ones aren't going to be cheap. That alone is a reason to just get the Team. Given how expensive rear shock springs are I don't want to know about fork springs :(

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I had a 1999 Monster T on a 2001 M-1. I loved that combination. However, the fork still needed to be serviced at least once a season (many races) to keep the travel feeling smooth.