Quantcast

New Evil

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
this was not on my radar but damn that thing is a looker.
Are there many small custom builders over where you are? I dunno what its like in the States, but over here theres a few boutique guys doing really nice frames that you can get for a cost similar to the Evil etc. I know which I'd prefer to be on, but I guess it depends how performance orientated you are. The geo on Evil looks proper stupid to me, but I don't ride road or gravel.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

That dropped chainstay's gonna get fucked in no time in the 11T

Well done

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's very Geiger.

Which leads me to ask if we should nuke it from orbit. Personally, I am not sure. Perhaps Ripley could still use it to fight the xenomorph.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
There are approximately 10 million small frame builders in the US, and I think they pretty much only build gravel and BIKEPACKING bikes.

I am a friendly guy, so I will do everyone a favor and not link to Radavist.

(kidding, kidding)

Are there many small custom builders over where you are? I dunno what its like in the States, but over here theres a few boutique guys doing really nice frames that you can get for a cost similar to the Evil etc. I know which I'd prefer to be on, but I guess it depends how performance orientated you are. The geo on Evil looks proper stupid to me, but I don't ride road or gravel.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm also in the consideration phase for a new commuter. I want 1x drivetrain, disc brakes, sporty road like geo, full fenders that fit a cx tire for winter riding conditions and a flat handle bar.
The closest thing was this year's Giant ToughRoad SLR 0 with additional fenders. Sold out...

$299

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
gotta admit it's going to look great in the back of everyone's cybertrucks.
that's exactly the target audience for this bike, isn't it? Wealthy bros who don't actually use what they have to full capacity but have the buying power and need to show off? ie megadentists

"Bro throw your gravel grinder in the cyber truck, we're gonna head up to the mountains for the weekend. We'll stay at my dad's place while my ex-wife has the kids"

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ok, gotta say the name is pretty good. Still, I'll never understand the appeal of drop bars for a bike that's supposed to be fun in the dirt. I have a cyclecross bike with fairly meaty tires and disc brakes. Great commuter, but every time I take it off road, I wish I was on a proper hardtail mtb.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Funny, I figured someone would bring up Tomac. To each his own, and that guy will always be one of my mtb heroes, but as I recall he didn't stick with the drop bars on his mtb for very long now did he?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Funny, I figured someone would bring up Tomac. To each his own, and that guy will always be one of my mtb heroes, but as I recall he didn't stick with the drop bars on his mtb for very long now did he?
just while he was doing double duty racing road w/ 7-11. but yeah, tomac is, and will always be a boss. saw him at interbike & had him sign a tomac bikes brochure. *swoon*.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Don't they get 99.9% of gravel buyers are big city hipsters who want looks over functionality? (since essentially you are buying outdated technology that was replaced by mountain bikes) They should have taken a page out of NS bikes gravel brand Rondo. Made the bike look great and that's it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
that's exactly the target audience for this bike, isn't it? Wealthy bros who don't actually use what they have to full capacity but have the buying power and need to show off? ie megadentists

"Bro throw your gravel grinder in the cyber truck, we're gonna head up to the mountains for the weekend. We'll stay at my dad's place while my ex-wife has the kids"
ha!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm also in the consideration phase for a new commuter. I want 1x drivetrain, disc brakes, sporty road like geo, full fenders that fit a cx tire for winter riding conditions and a flat handle bar.
The closest thing was this year's Giant ToughRoad SLR 0 with additional fenders. Sold out...
Check what PlanetX has to offer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'll stop nagging and let some reviews come out...I just feel like you can't make a bike that's designed to cover lots of miles so aggressive, as it simply defeats the purpose of the bike. That being said, hats off for pushing the envelope- without wackadoos we'd never push things forward.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah I mean at least we try, right?...I could never get my following to work the way that I wanted it to. Their insistence on ridiculous seat angles could certainly be improved, but the frame was well put together and rode fairly nicely.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Looks like a carbon version of the thing Verdone made. Way too much money, particularly for this type of bike (IMO), but I'd love to play with one and see how they ride.