Quantcast

New DHR pics

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I just built up my new 2004 DHR, i'll still probably put some Risse crowns on it and maybe change around a few other parts. 2004 DHR frame (Oly's old frame), 2004 888R, 8" XT M755 Brakes with GRC levers, Profile cranks, Evil/E13 guide, Azonic Outlaw wheels w/ Stans and Maxxis tires, Thompson post, FSA Dh400 bar, XT/LX drivetrain, Azonic A-Frame pedals, etc.

I'm having problems with the GRC levers. The lever blades are slightly too wide to fit in the lever bodies. I got them in but they rub badly and don't move smoothly, see the pictures below. I will probably file out the inside of the lever bodies, I don't see any other way to get them to fit. I sent an email to GRC, but no response yet. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Looks sweet!!!

How much are you gonna have to file off of the lever body do you think? you could just file a bit off the actually lever itself that way if you get different levers in the future you don't have to mod them to work on it. Plus there's a lot of metal to work with there as opposed to the little bit inside the lever body. Just an idea...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Nice build man..... GLad it found a good home!

I'd look up the GRC website and see about calling sulley about that. I know he is prolly real busy with the new frame and maybe traveling.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I'm guessing the GRC lever blades are only compatible with the M756 lever bodies, but I just bought new hoses for these M755's so I really don't want to invest ~$120 in new lever bodies and hoses just to get these lever blades to work. I'm not decided whether I'll file the lever bodies or lever blades, maybe I'll do a little on each, I just don't want to weaken either significantly.

The other problem I'm having is with the Thompson seatpost. I can't get the seat tilted far enough forward. Will the 12 degree kit that thompson sells fix this?

Discostu said:
The other problem I'm having is with the Thompson seatpost. I can't get the seat tilted far enough forward. Will the 12 degree kit that thompson sells fix this?
It should - do you have an older Thomson? I think all the new 12 degree kits by default - mine tilts fine to a perfectly flat position if need be...

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I just bought the seatpost off ebay last week, but I also have 2 other Thompson posts and they appear to have the same clamp. According to the indicator on the post it is at 18 degrees right now, and that is not enough.

One last thing; what springs are ~170 lb guys running on their DHR's? I've read #400 on here from my searches and thats the spring I've got, but it does feel a little soft. Its probably because I'm not used to this much travel or the progressive ratio. I haven't measured the sag yet, but it may be spot on. I'm just curious what everyone else is running for springs.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Discostu said:
One last thing; what springs are ~170 lb guys running on their DHR's? I've read #400 on here from my searches and thats the spring I've got, but it does feel a little soft. Its probably because I'm not used to this much travel or the progressive ratio. I haven't measured the sag yet, but it may be spot on. I'm just curious what everyone else is running for springs.
400# should be about right! I had a 350# on mine and I'm 155lbs.

nice ride BTW!! :thumb:

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Great, sounds like a #400 should be perfect for me, I generally prefer a stiffer ride. I'm happy as long as its not undersprung and damaging the bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Discostu said:
Great, sounds like a #400 should be perfect for me, I generally prefer a stiffer ride. I'm happy as long as its not undersprung and damaging the bike.
The only time my bike has ever bottomed was when D(beta)R rode it off the GLC drops at whistler. He's about 25-30lbs heavier than me though.

Those things are really progressive.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I never bottomed even off the same drops my scream would bottom. I had the 550 spring and it did feel too soft on the shop floor, but when riding never felt wrong.

Now lets see some action shots!!!! ;)