Quantcast

new cranks time... looking for input

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok so my XC bike NEEDS new cranks. I'm talking bent drive side crank needs. My 2 top choices are between LX and XT. I've heard great things about the XT's, haven't heard too much about the LX's (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). The only real reason I'm having the debate is I'm trying to keep the cost down, as I'm already replacing the rest of the drivetrain, and maybe the wheels. I'm no XC racer, I mostly ride XC for love of mountain biking, and as cross training for DH. Would I be fine with the LX's? Or should I pony up for the XT's? Any other options around that price point ($200 +/- ~$50)?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have XT's. The only crankset/BB combo I have had since square taper that have been reliable. Won't rust, bust or collect dust. As far a as a crakset goes I don't know if it gets much better than that.

Traditionally LX cranks have been almost identical to XT with just different chainrings, not sure about the newest ones.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Go to www.bikeman.com and their closeout closet, then click on cranks. They should still have some sweet deals on LX level Octalink II cranks.

Cheers,

Mark
Do they have some biopace chainrings I can put on them too? I said I wanted cranks, not garbage :busted:

Seriously tho, external BB is the only thing being considered.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Makes me shudder to think they kept using the octalink interface after making the switch to external bearings.

I should clarify, no octalink either. I've had bad luck with it in the past.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Makes me shudder to think they kept using the octalink interface after making the switch to external bearings.

I should clarify, no octalink either. I've had bad luck with it in the past.

Um, what? Huh? you two guys are getting confused. Hollowtech does not equal octalink.

HTII is the current shimano pipe-spindle 2 piece setup, it has no relation to octalink.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
i've had good luck with my truvativ stylos- and now they also have the stylo oct both of which are very affordable and reliable

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've always had better luck with Shimano cranks than other brands, but that's just me. I've found the BBs are better (less issues, last longer, etc) and I haven't had any real problems with rings or other stuff.

Those cranks MMcG posted are a good deal, but they are not as nice as normal, current LX cranks. You can see in the pic that it's not a hollow crank arm- it's relieved on the inside instead. I bet it would work fine, but won't be as light or stiff as other options. Chainrings might be cheap- who knows. Looks a little cheap overall to me and you can get a better LX crank on ebay for about 20 bucks more. I found a weight listed on mtbr and it was ~100 grams heavier than XT and 50 grams heavier than current LX if that makes a difference.

I bet you'd be happy with XT or LX. XTs might be stiffer and the rings will be nicer. I have the previous generation of XT external BB cranks on my trailbike without any issues. I replaced the rings when they wore out with a set of LX rings and couldn't notice a real difference in performance (LX wasn't bad at all, in any case).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that's what I'm leaning towards. Plus the availability on LX's isn't quite what it is for the XT's, at least from where I've looked so far.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
hmmm what about Middleburns? I've seen them built up for about $250- Lifetime warranty and very cool. I'm hoping to put a pair on my new ride this spring :-)

bikermancam

Chimp
Sep 26, 2004
Ok so my XC bike NEEDS new cranks. I'm talking bent drive side crank needs. My 2 top choices are between LX and XT. I've heard great things about the XT's, haven't heard too much about the LX's (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). The only real reason I'm having the debate is I'm trying to keep the cost down, as I'm already replacing the rest of the drivetrain, and maybe the wheels. I'm no XC racer, I mostly ride XC for love of mountain biking, and as cross training for DH. Would I be fine with the LX's? Or should I pony up for the XT's? Any other options around that price point ($200 +/- ~$50)?
I think most would be stoked with LX if on a budget, especially if not racing. The real difference I find aside from the weight is the rings (shift quality).
You could always run the LX and then upgrade the chainrings after beating it for a while. Hope that helps.

Adjunkie

Chimp
Dec 19, 2007
lx sucks. i burned through that crank set in half a season. the truvativ stylos lasted my one full season, but are trashed now.

go for the xt. the difference is not just rings, but bb too.

STPIZZAY

Chimp
Nov 22, 2007
Sacramento
I have to Recommend the Truvativ Stylos, they are incredibly lightweight and reliable for their price. I got my Stylo crankset around 3 months ago and it shifts great, never had a problem, the BB that comes with is great and it even looks fast.

Truvativ Stylo 3.3 CS is $155 on pricepoint and it weighs 880G with the Bottom Bracket

compared to Shimano XT which is heavier and at $270

-S

bikermancam

Chimp
Sep 26, 2004
lx sucks. i burned through that crank set in half a season. the truvativ stylos lasted my one full season, but are trashed now.

go for the xt. the difference is not just rings, but bb too.
yeah, good call on the bb.
Stylo rings have always been a little softer and more prone to bending than lx or xt (my experience).