Quantcast

New CB Mallet '12 experience. Anyone?

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Not much feedback on net. All pro riders seem to still ride the old model, however the new one doesn't look that much different. Care to elaborate?

t-rick

Chimp
Apr 1, 2011
W-S, NC
I got the Mallet 3's about 5 months ago and no real complaints yet. I think its a better quality pedal than the previous model for sure. Cleans mud pretty well, not too heavy, the spindle on the 3 model I hope will last for a loong time.

They shipped the pedals out with the same handed thread, but I'm sure their quality control/ shipping department has taken care of that.

Anything else you wanna know?

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
How about unclipping? I have the previous model and I sometimes find it hard to unclip depending on what shoes I use even having the pins fully back and one plate behind each cleat

DanSheridan

Chimp
Feb 7, 2009
Ireland
Im been using the 3's for the past few weeks. I havnt noticed much difference from the old mallets but they look sweet and dont gather as much mud. Also a bit smaller so havnt hit them as much. Still the only clip pedals worth using.

t-rick

Chimp
Apr 1, 2011
W-S, NC
How about unclipping? I have the previous model and I sometimes find it hard to unclip depending on what shoes I use even having the pins fully back and one plate behind each cleat
I use the 5.10 hellcats with these pedals, and not too many issues with getting in and out of the pedals...really depends on high you put the pins on the pedal and if you put a spacer under the cleat on your shoe. Lower pins, less grip, easier in/out.

Also, putting the cleats in different arrangements might help. For the CrankBros cleat you can have 15° or 20° release angle.

First time really using clips for DH and just being clipped in is enough grip for me, don't really need too much pin out on the pedal...but to each his own. Solid pedal for sure, and the colors are pretty sweet too.

Anyone know anything about the new 5050 pedals? Would be cool to have matching flats/clip pedals...

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
yes these are the same shoes I'm using and with previous Mallet model I have had not many but sometimes I find hard to unclip, as the new model has a smaller platform, perhaps I find it less trouble to unclip
I use the 5.10 hellcats with these pedals, and not too many issues with getting in and out of the pedals...really depends on high you put the pins on the pedal and if you put a spacer under the cleat on your shoe. Lower pins, less grip, easier in/out.

Also, putting the cleats in different arrangements might help. For the CrankBros cleat you can have 15° or 20° release angle.

First time really using clips for DH and just being clipped in is enough grip for me, don't really need too much pin out on the pedal...but to each his own. Solid pedal for sure, and the colors are pretty sweet too.

Anyone know anything about the new 5050 pedals? Would be cool to have matching flats/clip pedals...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I heart Mallets. That being said, I hate Mallet axles from a few renditions back. Haven't sheared one in over a year, but don't know if that's b'c I haven't been hitting up Snowshoe & Diablo regularly.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
What shoes do you use with these platform clipless pedals? I've had the same pair of Sidi Dominators for the past 10 years and found that there wasn't any use in the platform. Granted the bottom of a Sidi is hard plastic like a soccer cleat so it doesn't matter how grippy the pedal is. Either I'm clipped in or I'm not. The Sidi has a stiff sole and is great for pedaling, but is pretty useless when not clipped in. On the other hand, my 5.10 Impacts are just okay for pedaling efficiency, but grip any pedal well. Something like the 5.10's with an SPD cleat doesn't seem like it would pedal or grip all that well. In order for the cleat to clip into the pedal, the sole needs to not interfere with the pedal body, so I don't see it gripping the pedal body any.

Anyways, Crank Brothers make the worst two pairs of pedals I've ever bought, and I want to try out the XTR trail pedals cause they look more 'All-Mountain' than the Time ATAC's (best pedal ever made imho), but I can't figure out what use the extra pedal body is for.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I'm still running a set of the original mallet m's, and am looking to replace them, so thanks for the relevant feedback others have posted. I also have a set of acids, and they are my favorite pedal right now. The only pedal I'd consider replacing them with would be the xtr trail. The platform works great for technical sections where you can't clip in quite quickly enough. I don't need traction on the platform, even with sidi's, just somewhere to put my foot.

t-rick

Chimp
Apr 1, 2011
W-S, NC
What shoes do you use with these platform clipless pedals? I've had the same pair of Sidi Dominators for the past 10 years and found that there wasn't any use in the platform. Granted the bottom of a Sidi is hard plastic like a soccer cleat so it doesn't matter how grippy the pedal is. Either I'm clipped in or I'm not. The Sidi has a stiff sole and is great for pedaling, but is pretty useless when not clipped in. On the other hand, my 5.10 Impacts are just okay for pedaling efficiency, but grip any pedal well. Something like the 5.10's with an SPD cleat doesn't seem like it would pedal or grip all that well. In order for the cleat to clip into the pedal, the sole needs to not interfere with the pedal body, so I don't see it gripping the pedal body any.

Anyways, Crank Brothers make the worst two pairs of pedals I've ever bought, and I want to try out the XTR trail pedals cause they look more 'All-Mountain' than the Time ATAC's (best pedal ever made imho), but I can't figure out what use the extra pedal body is for.

Well with the SIDI or any other type of XC shoe you basically float on that cleat on the shoe and the clip on the pedal, the sole of the shoes doesn't really grip into the pedal much.

I mean, I'm sure all the world cup guys know a thing or two about using the 5.10 clip shoes with the clip pedals. Me using the hellcats (minaars) Its a perfect balance between getting grip and also having a stiff sole that allows you effort to go right into your pedal stroke. Shoes like the 5.10 freeriders flex like crazy, not really that good for pedaling efficiency.

my 2 cents

SCARY

Not long enough
The Minnars are amazing.After 10 years off clips ,I planned on using them only for xc rides,but I'm soo much more confident with the newer shoes,I switched to running them on dh and love it.There no more of that "skatey,floaty"feel like the dominators did.

knarrr

Chimp
Jun 5, 2011
Colorado
I run the Hellcats with Mallets and to be honest its the grippy sole that finally made me start using clipless. No sketchiness if you can't clip in (basically on flats at that point), clips in and out reliably, and I can actually hike in the shoes and wear them post-ride.