Quantcast

New Canfield Lucyk

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'm way more meh about that frame than i was when it was the second prototype. I don't know why; it just looks far more "mass=produced" and less "i love bikes" than the other one did.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
BTW any more info on the frame, like frame weight? Is it a 83mm/150mm BB/hub combo? It looks like a good high-end swap for my Iron Horse 7Point and could be something to save for this year.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
I am very glad they got rid of those UGLY huge rocker plates from the other model.

This looks much better. Gonna be a great frame :)

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
12x150 rear end 66 on the head tube with a totem 14" BB
Thats all I know it should be 2k-ish with rear shock.
Contact the Canfields with any real tech questions.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
i'm way more meh about that frame than i was when it was the second prototype. I don't know why; it just looks far more "mass=produced" and less "i love bikes" than the other one did.
Maybe the "I love bikes" part was lost somewhere in the pacific factory in taiwan :clapping:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'd really like to see the complete specs on this frame - it looks very interesting. The Canfield site is sorely lacking for info.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
haha canfield yucky...

Yeah...well my opinion is pretty much the same with the SC, IH, knolly, and turner now...they all ride nice, I'm sure, with SC and IH offering a lot of ride for a little money, but there's something to be said about a bike made of steel, for one thing, and more importantly a bike that has that little something extra. I'm sure this frame rides nice, but I don't believe that the rear suspension system will propel me to purchase it over the aforementioned brands, which are cheaper.... Even the balance and the F1 still have that something, but this bike just doesn't look the part. Maybe if it comes in for mucho cheapo, I'll be on one.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
for reference;

prototype 1, lucky

balance:

I even like the second prototype lucky better, but I can't find a linkable picture.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
I like it! Looks pretty good to me! The tubing change has probably more to do with what the market sees as "tough".

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I like it! Looks pretty good to me! The tubing change has probably more to do with what the market sees as "tough".
i'll bet you it was a $$$ issue on the tubset more then anything. Its the Easton RAD stuff now right?

edit: Although the b.blue proto looks dope! Round tubes!

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
This is the first production frame. The rest are in customs in LA. They should be in Utah sometime in the next few weeks. The 1.5 head tube and square tubes make the front ends look the same. If you look at the mongoose frames they look the same also.
Like I said before 66 degree head tube 70 degree seat post 14" BB height.
As for price these bikes are in the same category as any high end bike like Turner, Ellsworth, SC.
Someone like SC can get a thousand of one frame made in 3 sizes and that will bring the cost down.
If you are only making 100 of each model in 3 sizes you are not getting that big of a break on the cost of the frame so that may be why the cost is so high.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I like the older version with the round tubing a lot better. The new version looks like a Knolly or Highline like mentioned above.

I still want one

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i am interested in more pics. the low-and-wide link pivots on the chainstays make it look different than other bikes. axle path potentially very different than the highline. so yeah, looks to be an interesting option in this 7+ inch market.

duncon and pdc racing are two examples of a vaguely similar suspension design, but the duncon has less travel and a different lower link geometry, and the pdc has a different shock location.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Chris and I had a great weekend + in Moab. We rode slickrock, Dave's trail, Chilie Pepper Trail's and Bartlets. Found some new hits and tried to put the hurt on the Lucky. The step up un the pics a couple posts up was totally uphill landing, but the Lucky took it like a man! Enjoy!

Geometry

Adjustable Travel – 7.09” (180mm) to 8.15” (207mm)
Bottom Bracket Height – 14”
Chain Stay Length – 17.0”
Head Angle with a 570mm A to C Fork (8”) = 66 deg. (7”) = 67 deg.

Small:
Actual Seat tube – 15”
Effective Top tube – 22”
Medium:
Actual Seat tube – 17”
Effective Top tube – 23”
Large:
Actual Seat tube – 19”
Effective Top tube – 24”

Frame Weight – 11.25lbs (medium with Fox DHX 5.0)
Rear Hub size – 150 x 12 thru axle
Head tube Length – 125mm
Head Set Size – 1.5”
Seat Post Diameter – 27.2mm
Seat Collar Diameter – 31.8mm / 1 ¼”
BB Shell – 83mm w/ ISCG Tabs
BB Size – 83 shell x 128 spindle (fits all types)
Max Tire Size – 2.7”

Attachments