Quantcast

new biking making strange noises

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
I just got an iron horse sgs pro freeride. just cruising around the neighborhood it started making these creaking noises. the noises seem to come from the pivots near the shock (swinger 3 way) or maybe the shock, its hard to tell. anyone had an experience with this? what did you do? this is probably the consequence of buying a bike at supergo but the price was too sweet to resist.

thanks

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
My brand new VPFree started creaking really loud first ride. It sure sounded like pivots but it turned out to simply be a loose zip tie not holding a cable housing still. The housing was sliding back and forth causing the zip tie to chatter and vibrate. It is certainly possible that a pivot didn't get the grease or other parts, but being new, it might be something really simple too.

tacobelldhr

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
lake forest
first off take your bottom bracket out i put money on it having water in it....clean re-grease...then goto a local bike shop and ask specifically for BOSESHIELD liquid lubricant and just put it in your bearings pivots...etc

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
Before that, try spraying a light lube like WD-40 on the bearings and the sliding bit of the shock. It turned out that the squeak from my new bike was just a very tight shock seal

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle, WA
NO on the WD 40! It is a solevant,.. not a lubricant. Pony up a couple more dollars for some actual teflon lube that you can saturate each pivot with.

I doubt a brand new bike has water in the BB, but it's a good call that the BB may need attention anyhow... Drop by a LBS that has a torque wrench and have em bully that thing down to at least 40ft-lbs and then the same for the crankarms. Brand new builds are notorious for this ESPECIALLY from shops that may not do QUALITY builds <COUGHSUPERGOCOUGH>.