Quantcast

new bike!

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
Hairy Gary Custom. Really pleased with the way it came out. 41lbs, Manitou Sherman Breakout +, Hope wheelset, FSA cranks and BB, FSA Carbon DH bars, RF Diabolous stem.... All the goodies!

Attachments

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Can you post one from the pivot side? There are all sorts of things that need close-ups!

What is going on with:
The shock mount?
The top tube brace (looks like a lug!)?
HT?

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
I think you mean shock mount. I put my socks in a drawer. It has a 1.5 headtube, and there is sort of "lugs" on the main triangle. Here is a more closeup shot.

Attachments

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
so you can see the pivot and rear shock mount. 2 rear mount holes for 7" or 8.5" travel via a 2.75" stroke Manitou Swinger 6way. I could even put a 3" stroke shock on here and get nearly 10" travel, but no need for that....

Attachments

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
URT?! Holy cow, that is the sickest Y bike ever!:D
A concentric pivot URT freeride bike.... wow, thats different.

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
Correct me if im wrong, but thats not a URT, it justs pivots around the BB, like Coves or the profile full suspensions.

I think that looks like a sick ride, let us know how it rides!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by bbmj
Correct me if im wrong, but thats not a URT, it justs pivots around the BB, like Coves or the profile full suspensions.
Yeah, you're right. My bad.

Sic ride Bret :p

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Zark
URT?! Holy cow, that is the sickest Y bike ever!:D
A concentric pivot URT freeride bike.... wow, thats different.
:D Nice bike Kornflake

From YetDhr's www.hcor.net BB photos

New Rotec, a concentric pivot freeride (this is the DH I think) bike. Also soo teh Cove bike, the Profile DH bike, the Jamis Diablo (more XC), the Titus forget the name (XC racer), viva la concentric pivot! :) *edit* Doh! Hairy Gary DH bike...thanks buildyourown...I forgot.

Rhino
1999 Rotec DH

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
for all of you whining about the shock-mount on the hary gary, the bike is made of steel.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You guys should check out the hairy gary web site. They are pretty durable. The lug on the top tube it to increase wall thickness were the gusset tube hits. I think its an inovative and light way to reinforce the HT junction. As for the shock mount, it's an aluminum block clamped around the steel tube. On the early bikes at least, you could slide the block to adjust head angle and bb height. Steel bikes always look scary small after staring at aluminum bikes all day. Remember steel is twice as stiff and three times as strong as aluminum.

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
Harry Gary has been making bikes up here in the PNW for sometime now and the bikes are plush. Everyone that I have ever talked with love his bikes. You have many different geometry setups and its a solid bike.

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
Very nice ride! I'll be grabbing a test bike next month that's very similar to the one you've built! Gary's work is amazing and after seeing some up close and personal, I know pictures don't do it justice!

I'd love to get your feedback and impressions as you get some miles on it!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Originally posted by mental
Very nice ride! I'll be grabbing a test bike next month that's very similar to the one you've built! Gary's work is amazing and after seeing some up close and personal, I know pictures don't do it justice!

I'd love to get your feedback and impressions as you get some miles on it!
must be fun to test bikes eh? :rolleyes: ;)

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
It definitely has its merits!

I'm pretty excited about Gary's ride as I'll be there while its built as well.

I love steel bikes and seeing them brazed right in front of your eyes is amazing Luc!

As I've never ridden one, I'm somewhat skeptical about the design, but a few miles should tell the tale.

You should test bikes once in a while...

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Man, that downtube shock mount is just about the dodgiest thing I've ever seen! I assume that the tubing is all straight gage? I'd hate to think that DT is butted on any level!

I thought brazing wasn't as strong as a TIG weld? Much less a brazed and lugged DH bike. What an anachronism! This isn't a road bike from the sixties!:eek:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by Tame Ape
Man, that downtube shock mount is just about the dodgiest thing I've ever seen! I assume that the tubing is all straight gage? I'd hate to think that DT is butted on any level!

I thought brazing wasn't as strong as a TIG weld? Much less a brazed and lugged DH bike. What an anachronism! This isn't a road bike from the sixties!:eek:
Actually brazing is just as strong if not stronger than tig welding. It takes longer and it takes more skill so very few builders use it. The filler is also more expensive.

The fillet on a braze is larger and therefor distributes the stress over a larger area. Also, the surface is smooth as opposed to having the little ripples that are charateristic of a tig weld. These ripples can be stress risers that start cracks. Tig welding is also done at much higher temps which mean a larger heat affected zone.

Don't assume that a method of construction is inferior just becsue all the big companies don't use it. Lugs and brazing aren't commonly used any more because of cost and marketing.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by buildyourown
Actually brazing is just as strong if not stronger than tig welding. It takes longer and it takes more skill so very few builders use it. The filler is also more expensive.

The fillet on a braze is larger and therefor distributes the stress over a larger area. Also, the surface is smooth as opposed to having the little ripples that are charateristic of a tig weld. These ripples can be stress risers that start cracks. Tig welding is also done at much higher temps which mean a larger heat affected zone.

Don't assume that a method of construction is inferior just becsue all the big companies don't use it. Lugs and brazing aren't commonly used any more because of cost and marketing.
maybe. But probably not. If what you say is 100% true, then companies like Turner and Maverick and Seven and Merlin and Intense would be brazing. Kinesis would have a division focused solely on using brazing torches.

Regarding the 'ripples' you are talking about, when I read that, I assumed you meant the bead laid down by the welder. Is so, those 'ripples' are just extra material left behind for looks that can be 'scrubed' off (ex:cannondale).

Brazing does not seem to be suited to rigorous riding. Otherwise we would see it used more often then on Road bikes and the erstwhile XC frame.

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
to mr luc acadian. I guess I should have bought a V10 or a Turner, instead of the nice custom steel frame that I got. Oh well, can't please every perfect critic I guess......

Frame has adjustable travel to get 7" or 8.5" depending on where you mount the shock. I believe his frames sell for around $1850, give or take, depending on the level of customization and paint choices. Not a bad price for what you get and the amount of custom touches that he does for no extra upcharge. Gary was extremely easy to work with, and the bike came out EXACTlY to my specs. I wanted a DH frame with 8" of travel and a 1.5 headtube. Not too many choices there, so that was a big reason I chose the HG frame. Can't wait until the Doctor gives me the OK to ride it. Torn achilles tendons suck, I really do not recommend it to anyone. 5 months of no dirt riding and counting, just 6 weeks to go I hope.

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
As far as I know, brazing cannot be done with Aluminum therefore you'll never see a brazed Intense or Turner for example.

Brazing also takes way more time to do right than Tig welding. It's an efficiency thing.

I'm not an engineer and I don't pretend to be, but I love the look of a custom brazed steel frame. There's something about the smooth joints and lugged top tube...

Not for everyone, but for me... YES!

groovis

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
I agree (were talking about the front one, the bolt on thing, right?)
You would think so looking at it, but we have bolt on crowns on our forks so what's the difference with a shock mount?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by Tame Ape
maybe. But probably not. If what you say is 100% true, then companies like Turner and Maverick and Seven and Merlin and Intense would be brazing. Kinesis would have a division focused solely on using brazing torches.

Regarding the 'ripples' you are talking about, when I read that, I assumed you meant the bead laid down by the welder. Is so, those 'ripples' are just extra material left behind for looks that can be 'scrubed' off (ex:cannondale).

Brazing does not seem to be suited to rigorous riding. Otherwise we would see it used more often then on Road bikes and the erstwhile XC frame.
Turner and Maverick and Intense only work in Alum so tig is the only choice. Merlin does Ti so again, tig only. Seven DOES do beautiful brazing. Kinesis only build bikes in large volume. When you are trying to save money, the extra 2 hourS it takes to braze a frame adds up quick.

The ripples are not left behind for looks. They are caused by the dabing motion of the weldor. A GOOD weldor can minimize them. Grinding them away is how Cannondale makes up for crappy welds. *ducks to avoid flames*
That last bit is opinion but everything else is fact.

I have built and ridin lots of bikes that were fillet brazed and they most certainly can stand up to the obuse of off road riding. It is no way superior of inferior to tig. They both have ther merits.

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
in fact, back in the day, both race car frames and airplane frames were brazed. It's super strong.

Lugs are where it's at. Elegant, strong, and clean.

p6

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Originally posted by lukeduke
so you can see the pivot and rear shock mount. 2 rear mount holes for 7" or 8.5" travel via a 2.75" stroke Manitou Swinger 6way. I could even put a 3" stroke shock on here and get nearly 10" travel, but no need for that....

dman at first look at this bike it looked
like a nice trail bike
not realising it had so much travel

very nice ride and setup

theres something about custom stuff that makes it you really apprceiate them
whether they suit you or not:monkey: