Quantcast

new bike build, the surly moonlander

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Moonlander | Bikes | Surly Bikes

we decided that it was time to raise the bar and develop higher-volume tires, wider rims and a frame to accommodate them. So, this year, we offer you the Big Fat Larry 4.7" tire, the 100mm-wide Clown Shoe rim
I am going to build this bad boy for my duck/goose season bike and trailer combo. since the preserves around here are so big you can have bikes with trailers to haul your duck gear/sled to the honey holes. those tires should make for some great flotation in the mud and marsh

I will probably cover the thing in max 4 vinyl camo wrap as well

this is typically the norm you will see on the hunting preserves but since they are using cheap bikes they still have to walk a few miles.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
you've got money....

why not a sherpa and a rickshaw?

fvck pedaling around.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
So many people kiss your ass here, so I am going to play devils advocate. That bike sucks.

Man, I feel so much better about myself right now. "D

I would love to trhow a leg over one of those (even better if it had 29" wheels) and try it in loose ground or snow. Seems like you could climb anything as long as you run a small gear and low pressure. Going down must be serious fun too, such a tire must me able to absorb quite some stuff.

Why? The tires are so big they're already about the same diameter as a normal 29er tire. Make a tire that big for a 29er rim and it's going to be STUPID heavy.
True, those tires probably make for a "real" ~28" wheel. They are very wide (which adds diameter), but unless I'm very wrong, they also run on quite low pressures (so they also deform substantially, reducing the effective diameter).

Either way, I agree it's quite a big wheel. But since the point of those bikes isn't speed, but being able to ride or crawl where other bikes can't, bigger tires certainly help with that: they roll easier over stuff, no need for suspension, will work on soft surfaces, etc. Obviously, if the only tire available is an anchor (or crazy expensive), then there's no point on making one.