Quantcast

Need Some Opinions Here: VP-Free vs. Rocky Mountain Switch Pro vs. ?

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
So I ordered a Santa Cruz Vp-Free about 2 weeks ago, and now I'm having second thoughts for a few reasons:
1. Cost (I can get a complete RM Switch Pro for the cost of a VP-Free frame, a Slider Plus and a 150mm rear wheel)
2. Wait (RM Switch Pro's are in stock, I'll see a VP-Free around the beginning of September)
3. I can only have one bike (do I want a 38 plus pound bike as my only ride, if I'm going to be doing XC-type rides, even at a non-XC speed? I'll also be riding at Northstar as much as possible)

I work for a Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, and Specialized dealer, and I might be able to get a Ventana or a Yeti. Please don't bother recommending anything other than a bike from these companies. My shop only stocks Switches and Switch SL's, so the real part I need help with is:
-Who's ridden/owns a Switch Pro? Thoughts? Weight?
-The warranty is only 6 months on this frame. Not that I break frames, but WTF? I know there were lots of problems with older RM freeride bikes (RM6's and RM7's), any word on 03' and 04' Switches?
- Who's ridden/owns a Vp-Free, do they really pedal as well as SC says? I will get to ride one of these in the next few weeks though.

Any constructive insight will be greatly appreciated.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
I have never ridden a VPfree and have limited time on a switch (older), but...

If your shop has switches and switch SLs, why are you sweating the switch Pro? Isn't it just a different part spec? Maybe a different size headtube?

The older switches ran shorter stroke shocks. I don't think there were issues with play in the linkages such as those with the RM6s and RM7s.

What about a Yeti ASX?

Odds are you won't get much input as members here generally don't like RM bikes. And the VPFree is still very new and not many people have swung a leg over a production frame.

Out of curiousity, what shop do you work at?

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Well, I was interested in the weight as much as anything, plus we only have a 16.5" Switch SL, and it's kinda short for me to get a good feel. The Swith Pro has a 7" travel Sherman, even though it allegedly has the same HT angle as the Switch SL with a 6" travel Z150.

I'm going to look into whether or not we can still get Yeti's.

I used to work at Belmont Wheelworks and Cambridge Bicycle, now I live in CA and I work at Cyclepaths in Lake Tahoe.