Quantcast

Need some help -thinking of getting a BMXer

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hey Everyone,

I usually post in the Lounge and the Downhill forums, but lately I've been thinking a lot about getting a BMX bike to take to local skate parks and to goof around on with my 7 year old son and whatnot.

But I've never really owned a BMX bike and now that I'm an adult I'm clueless as to what to get.

Should I get a 24 incher, since I mainly ride mountain bikes? Should I just get 20 incher?

I'm sorta leaning towards a 24 inch bike, but I'm open to suggestions.

If this helps, I'm 5'9" tall.

I welcome any recommendations you monkeys have.

Oh yeah, and I don't want to spend a lot of money for this rig either.

Your thoughts, recommendations and suggestions are welcome.

Mark

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
There is lots of options for you. I say you should go 20" for sure. It really will open more possibilities and be fun. 24" is ok but still harder to do things on and doesnt open up as many things. Being 5'9" you probly want something in the 20.5-20.75" top tube length, but it seems to me that most mountain bikers feel better on longer bikes. So you could go up to 21 if you felt you needed to. I suggest getting a Haro Backtrail X3 or maybe a Diamondback Sherman. They are really good bikes for the money. If you wanted to go a different route www.albes.com has everything you could need to build a bike.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
The diamondback has great specs for the price, If you can find an 02 or 03 sherman or option youll be in like flynn. The 02 or 03 should be about 350-400$ now. They have great wheels, cranks and brakes and are pretty decent. It has a cassete rear wheel, pretty burly sprocket and Alex's new Supra J rim (much like a supra E but a lot lighter, I run one in the rear myself and like it a lot)

The haro isnt quite as nice but for a starter bike its the second bike on my list, they also come with pretty dang good parts for the price, they arent made to be light, but should cost about the same as the sherman/option.

The new diamondback sherman (one i would reccomend highest) should run about 5-600$ so try to find an earlier model year.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
How much are you looking to spend?

I am also getting into BMX and i'm probably going to get a Standard TRLS 250 - OX Platinum, Odeysey(sp?) fork, Standard 2pc bars, Profile Cranks, not sure on wheels and the rest dosen't matter. No gyro, no pegs, no front brake.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Grimey

I am also getting into BMX and i'm probably going to get a Standard TRLS 250 - OX Platinum, Odeysey(sp?) fork, Standard 2pc bars, Profile Cranks, not sure on wheels and the rest dosen't matter. No gyro, no pegs, no front brake.
I haven't got a clue as to what a decent BMX bike runs, but I'm looking to get as much bang for as little buck as possible.

What would the set up you describe run? I was thinking of even seeing if I could track down something used.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Originally posted by Grimey

Pegs=good and fun. The primopro cassette hub is the best ever made without a doubt. Lace that to a set of hazard rims, or hazard lights.....whatever you choose really. If you are set on the 250 I would avoid the TRLS 250 ox if you plan on doing any street riding at all. My friend has the STA OX Platinum and it dents soo easy. His bike had a ton of dents before he got rid of it. I dono, just somethin to think about.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Yeah, for me its mostly going to be trails, bmx track and maybe some downhilll bmx action. I don't think i'll be hitting the street up too much.

But this denting thing has me worried.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
There are lots of other good frames out there that wouldnt be much heavier. MMcG, usually when you build up a bike from the frame only it runs around 700-1000 bucks on up. Depending on the parts. Really good frames are usually about 250-300 bucks but good deals are out there to be had (a while ago danscomp had Volume Mexi frames on sale for 149.00)

Your cheapest bet is definately going to be something complete, I suggested some stuff in the PM i sent ya.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think a complete bike would be the way to go for me. Thanks for the links.

I'll also visit some local bike shops that carry a lot of BMX to see if they have any 03 or even 02 models still in stock at great prices.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Give Trailblazers a call... this is the time of year for deals ;)

877-364-6147, tell them you heard about them from John on Ridemonkey. Personally I think you definitely should get a 20", but if you really want a 24 we have those too.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Echo
Give Trailblazers a call... this is the time of year for deals ;)

877-364-6147, tell them you heard about them from John on Ridemonkey. Personally I think you definitely should get a 20", but if you really want a 24 we have those too.
Echo,

I'll go 20" but what brands do you recommend??

Help a Rochester Native out bro! :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Well in low end stuff we have DK, Hoffman, Diamondback, and Free Agent. High end we stock Kink and we have a few other things lying around, FBM, Standard, Volume, etc.

We have a nice Kink Defender built up at a sweet price but that might still be a bit above what you wanna spend. I'm pretty sure we sold out of the DK Cleveland and Dayton, those are both nice starter bikes. I'd recommend you call and see what's on the floor, I don't remember exactly...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I just PM'd you about two bikes that I'm trying to sell. Both are very affordable and would be good for someone just starting out.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Meat-Whistle
Call Me at trailblazers (erik) ill be their on friday ill find a good bike for the money for you, probably a dk. our web sit is www.trailblazersbike.com call me We are the biggest bmx shop in western NY.
Can you give me an example of what might fit the bill based on your inventory?

I grew up in Chili and will be back in town for Christmas I think.

Perhaps I could stop in and try some different bikes out to see what works best.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Nate at RIT
Just wanted to say I got a BMX from Trailblazers (Free Agent Air Raid) and I highly recommend the shop. Good people, good products.
So when are you going to X-dreams? :devil:

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by Nate at RIT
Just wanted to say I got a BMX from Trailblazers (Free Agent Air Raid) and I highly recommend the shop. Good people, good products.
Dude, thats rather funny. I got the same bike, from the same place. Dont we both have a planet X JFC as well??? :think:

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
YES! Stop copying me!:D
I just got the BMX, and I got the JFC about a year ago, so I'm not sure who's leading the way.
Have you been on campus lately? There's a new quad in by the Eastman building, and the tiger statue is now on an elevated thingy. Anywho, they didn't have it finished for less than a day when I got to ride off of it , nice little 4' foot drop. We got in on camera. Figured we'd inaugarate it.

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Nope, havent been on campus real recently, I saw that quad when they started working on it, but I'll have to go and check it out now that its done :thumb: