Quantcast

need some help on an M1

retrofred

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
canyon country, Ca.
i have a 2002 m1 and under full compression the rear tire hits the seat. i am running a seat post with an 1" of set back, should i be using a seat post with zero set back? please help with suggestions.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'd use a zero offset post, I have a thomson on mine and it can still buzz the tire if I don't scoot it forward a little. Raise the seat a little if you need a longer cockpit, the two are closely tied on that bike.

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
retrofred said:
i have a 2002 m1 and under full compression the rear tire hits the seat. i am running a seat post with an 1" of set back, should i be using a seat post with zero set back? please help with suggestions.

I had the same issue. I had to cut a piece of my saddle out. Even with the saddle all the way forward on the rails it still hit. Now there is no contact.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I have a little hijack.... could I fit a 9" by 3" stroke shock to a 2001 frame to get the longer travel offered on the 2002 frame?
I have the modified 4-bar link to do that.

Best thing to do with the seat is to remove the shock spring and cycle the suspension to see if and where it hits, makes setting it up a lot easier.

Jon.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i actually cut part of my seat out so that on drops etc the tire wouldn't buzz the seat, but my ass has (not fun!)

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
jon-boy said:
I have a little hijack.... could I fit a 9" by 3" stroke shock to a 2001 frame to get the longer travel offered on the 2002 frame?
I have the modified 4-bar link to do that.

Best thing to do with the seat is to remove the shock spring and cycle the suspension to see if and where it hits, makes setting it up a lot easier.

Jon.
I have a small M1 and I have a 9" x 3" shock on mine with no problems.

And my tire never hits my seat!