Quantcast

need help deciding on a fr fork

mwill

Chimp
Jun 23, 2005
Texas
Well I cant stand it I need a knew fork for my P3. I have been casually looking around now its driving me nuts there are so many options. I mostly just ride freeride, some street, and dj. So I'm reaching out to all you :monkey: for help. So suggestions would be very appreciated.

mwill

Chimp
Jun 23, 2005
Texas
sweet man thanks Ive been trying to get on that site all day and its been down or something. Thanks for the link thats a kick *** deal too.

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
theres the firefly, flick plus, and all the z1 options. You should mainly look at those depending on your price range.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
top priority is make sure its got a 20mm thru axel (which the firefly doesnt). so i say go with pike or breakout. z1 are awsome too i would say one of those three would suit you very nicely.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
no, the firefly does not, but for less $$ you can get a flick which does have a 20mm axle. ignore the above post about getting a breakout, since your frame does not have a 1.5 headtube. Z1's are nice, just not the drop offs. be sure to get a z1 fr or even a z150 if you choose to go z1. i wouldnt suggest a dirtjumper for trails/fr, because i have had much time on one and hated the damping. it really only serves well as a street/dirt fork when set up really stiff. if you go zoke try to get something with HSCV damping. How much do you weigh? what is the terrain you ride? we really need more info to give you the best advice. are your trails mainly large drops and jumps and log rides, or is it more tech fr with dh style stuff thrown in (i.e. rock gardens, really rough rooty sections) do you plan on riding trails (i. e. climbing and descending)? the pike, although i have not ridden one, looks like a nice all around fork for your purpose. also, (if cash is no object) look at a fox 36. Very very nice fork.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
ignore the above post about getting a breakout, since your frame does not have a 1.5 headtube
well see if thats all that i suggested then yeh sure why not. but since i also said a pike or a z1 then you cant just say ignore someones post. dude why such the hostility.

dablake914

Chimp
Jul 15, 2005
Burlington, CT
rock shox pike all the way... ive had mine for under a week and i love it, put some stiff springs in it and its incredibly hard to bottom out, i havent succeeded yet

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
How much money do you have to spend? That's the main factor. I agree on the Pike, my little brother has one and it feels super nice.

mwill

Chimp
Jun 23, 2005
Texas
Ya they all are sweet I really appreciate all the suggestions but I just found out i'm going to to georgia for training in about a month and a half so I am going to have to hold off till next year cause thats when I will be able to get my bike back.

theFOOT

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
nowhere
i'd go for a sherman firefly, the 2005 versions come with a 20mm axle. i have an 03 on my p.2 and it rides like a dream,.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
frznnomad said:
well see if thats all that i suggested then yeh sure why not. but since i also said a pike or a z1 then you cant just say ignore someones post. dude why such the hostility.
i meant ignore the part about the breakout. not the whole post. i had a very bad night as well

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
theFOOT said:
i'd go for a sherman firefly, the 2005 versions come with a 20mm axle. i have an 03 on my p.2 and it rides like a dream,.
I had a 20mm thru axle Firefly, that bike got ripped, replaced it with a Pike. No comparison, the Firefly compressed down to 110mm does not ride nice (altho no real complaints about the fork any other time). Comparatively, the Pike dialled down rides awesome, and the fork is super adjustable. :thumb:

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
mwill said:
Thanks man I was actually really looking at that one alot.
the shermans are filling up work benches. They are a great fork when working though and my first choice but i like riding and every day.
buy a fox and get a good one like a 36