Quantcast

Need a new watch...

D

d-sop

i got a sick arnette scuba watch; has an oxygen timer and a tide watch on it, shows the date too. rubber band,very sick.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
i got a sick arnette scuba watch; has an oxygen timer and a tide watch on it, shows the date too. rubber band,very sick.
Those were on steepandcheap not long ago really had to hold back to not get one... since I am live nowhere near the ocean it was probably best.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Don't do Swiss Army. I had one with a rubber wristband and the band started cracking and finally broke. While I was waiting for one to come into stock, the mechanism broke.
Interesting. I got my first Swiss Army watch back in June 1998. The watch itself worked flawlessly until I lost it back in July, just a few months ago. I did however, crack one crystal 3 or 4 years ago (they're using a different material now) and broke the metal band this past January.

After checking out a myriad of replacement watches, I ended up buying the same model. No regrets.
http://www.swissarmy.com/Timepieces/Product.htm?category=officersls&product=24704&

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
http://www.watchreport.com/

PAW1200
-Multi-band atomic timekeeping
-Solar powered (works much better and longer than kinetic)
-Digital compass
-Barometer
-Thermometer
-Altimeter
-5 Alarms
-Altitude alarm
-World Time
-And more...

Suunto, what's a Suunto :p

PRW-1100YTJ-1JF if you want a different style and don't mind the money/limited US availability...

Both Casios, neither are g-shocks...

watchreport said:
Last March, I wrote about the Casio Pathfinder PAW1200, a very impressive watch which manages to pack multi-band atomic timekeeping, solar power, and three sensors (digital compass, altimeter/barometer, and thermometer) into a single package. The PAW1200 series was a landmark achievement for Casio since it finally brought together the convenience of both solar power and atomic timekeeping with the diverse functionality of the Pathfinder line.

But even though they got it all into a single package, the PAW1200 wasn't exactly the nicest package. I reviewed the PAW1200-3V, a big green resin model which engulfs my narrow wrist like a python. I'm ok with the size of the watch (all that technology has to go somewhere), but I felt like the material (plastic all around) left some room for improvement.

Enter the PRW-1100YTJ-1JF. The Protrek PRW-1100YTJ-1JF steps it up a notch by wrapping up all the features of the PAW1200 series in a very cool black titanium case with a synthetic sapphire crystal on top. Why is titanium good? Tough and light. Why is sapphire good? For all intents and purposes, it's scratch proof.

Admittedly, I have never owned a Casio titanium and sapphire watch, so I can't vouch for the level of quality. In other words, all titanium cases and bracelets, and all sapphire crystals, were not created equal. It's intriguing, however, to see Casio fitting their toughest watches with some very tough materials.

Of course, the news can't be all good. The PRW-1100YTJ-1JF is not available in the US (hence the "J" in the model name) since most Americans aren't interested in paying $450 for any type of watch, much less a Casio. But the true Casio aficionados have their sources. If anyone out there has a titanium Casio with a sapphire crystal, let me know what you think of the quality. Otherwise, I'll be forced to buy one myself in the name of product research.
Or go for the perfect blend of technology and style...

Seiko Brightz World Time

The Seiko Brightz World Time watch is a great combination of technology and class. It has all the style of the Brightz line of timepieces, and all the convenience of atomic solar technology (which means you never have to get the battery changed, and you never have to set it). If you're a frequent traveler, there's plenty more to like about the Seiko Brightz World Time since it can easily be set to one of 24 time zones, and it will calibrate with atomic clocks in the US, Japan, and in Europe (details below).

The first thing you will notice about the Seiko Brightz World Time is its weight, or rather, the lack there of. The World Time is definitely one of the lightest watches I own, which initially makes it feel cheap, though I assure you it is not. The World Time is so light because the entire case and bracelet are made of polished titanium, which means it is as strong as it light. The crystal is highly scratch-resistant synthetic sapphire.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i recently got a G-Shock Mudman for work. it's nice. doesn't have many bells and whistles that you, the OP, are looking for, but i dig it. not nearly as big as i was afraid it was going to be. a couple sponsors of watchuseek.com have nice prices.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Well, my trusty Timex Ironman finally died a peaceful death. Now I need to replace my faithful companion of 6 years with something cooler and newer. Anyone have a cool recommendation...looking for (hopefully) an integral compass, stopwatches and all the basic shizzle. No G Shocks, dont need a hard guy watch...
here you go: http://www.steepandcheap.com/

The High Gear Alterra Watch is a wrist-mounted computer for tracking fun. Wear this one to log all the vertical you got on your last ski trip or how many feet you really climbed over the weekend. If you're trail running, skiing, hiking, mountain biking, or all of the above, you can use the Alterra to document your progress. An altimeter with Ski Chrono function automatically calculates each lap that you make and saves the info so you can rub it in to your friends about what an epic weekend you had. For runners there is a 50 lap chronograph and split timer that remembers the fastest laps and average times. Of course the Alterra is loaded with all of the features that a quality outdoor watch needs, like dual time zones, alarms, a thermometer, and a compass. This is a serious piece of equipment that lets you maximize your fun every time you hit the trail.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
A built in fun meter! Where was this a month ago! BTW, I ended up with a Suunto Vector...$159 bones, Momma says I better wear it for the next 20 years or so!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So after 9 years of abuse...4 deployments, numerous ski and mtb crashes and assorted other hijinks, the Vector had to be sent for repairs.

Suunto sent me a very nice note after 3 days and said regretfully that they had to put her down...but for $100 they would sell me a new one. So I bit...3 days later (Seems to be a theme here...) it arrived. Good company, prompt and honorable methinks.

And I eventually did get a G Shock...issued to me by the Man. Not the worst bit of gear I have ever been given by the taxpayer. Solar, tough, kinda cool once I changed out the band and added a small compass...was also gifted a Pathfinder titanium that is just too clunky and piloty looking for me.