Quantcast

NC Ride - End of December

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
that day it was a struggle to do lost cove plus what we call "mount dwi" which is the dh to the right after the first bit of dh on lost cove, then we climbed out and did little lost cove.

i hit bee as part of a ride the other day-it was in great shape.
Thats awesome. Now I totally wanna try riding that stuff (except for the 15 switch backs of Bee...FTS).

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
If it does snow, are there alternatives down lower or more south?
Yes. You come down to the foothills and ride in Charlotte. Hell, I even have room for a few people. There are hundreds of miles of trail within an hour of downtown.

Lake Norman, Steve's, Sherman, BYT, Uwharrie....none of these places will make you sad.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Subscribing to this thread....Wife and I are planning to be in the Asheville Area over the thanksgiving Holiday. If anyone wants to recommend some good rides for us to check out, places to stay or what not we wouldn't be opposed to listening to your sage advice, or drinking beer and riding bikes with you.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yes. You come down to the foothills and ride in Charlotte. Hell, I even have room for a few people. There are hundreds of miles of trail within an hour of downtown.

Lake Norman, Steve's, Sherman, BYT, Uwharrie....none of these places will make you sad.
These guys want to ride Pisgah gnar, not 29r leg shaving, lycra loops.

@canadmos Don't drive all the way from Canada to ride any of these trails. They are mostly flow-easy trails and certainly not worth the loooong drive.

Pisgah is so big that if one area has snow, another may not. You will most likely be able to find some riding without having to come off the mountain.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
These guys want to ride Pisgah gnar, not 29r leg shaving, lycra loops.

@canadmos Don't drive all the way from Canada to ride any of these trails. They are mostly flow-easy trails and certainly not worth the loooong drive.

Pisgah is so big that if one area has snow, another may not. You will most likely be able to find some riding without having to come off the mountain.
mostly true...if forced to ride local: poston; byt; whitewater center; rocky river; are the most tolerable, in that order.

also warrior creek/ovt/dark mtn are lower down and decent (north wilkseboro)

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
If there is snow just steal some hippy's fatbike and ride on...

Seriously the chances of all of Pisgah being unridably snowy in December is close to nil.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Thoughts on gearing.....we're looking to stay in brevard and ride that area. Wife is running 32x11-42 1x11.

I was thinking of throwing a 30t up front for her, but then was thinking that maybe a 28t might be a better idea.

What do most with 1x11 run in that area?

Thanks

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
The two women I know that ride Pisgah use 2x11 or 2x10 (one is my wife who doesn't ride in Pisgah tons but the other rides in brevard and surrounding area multiple times a week). Both prefer a lower gear for the long climbs. I think gearing down a bit won't hurt anything and may preserve marital harmony.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I must admit that I do want a 40t cog for long climbs. One day, maybe, a new 10spd cassette by Suntour that has a 40t and 36t while other cassettes have a 35t as the second cog. For me I can't see anything lower than a 32t and 11-40 on a low/slack bike. At a certain point the bike will just fight you on real steep climbs no matter how low the gear.

As for yer missus, I've noticed all the über fit women I know who ride Pisgah run 11-42 cassettes. Some use 30t and 32t chainrings.

And seriously, there is no shame in hike-a-bike in Pisgah. In fact it's mandatory in many sections. So again, bring some comfy shoes. Or you can buy some at either of the two lbs at the entrance to the forrest.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I'm not sure what trails were planning to ride yet, but am 100% aware we'll do some hike a bike. I was thinking more for the longer sustained fire road type climbs (and maybe you are talking about those getting steep enough that hike a bike is the only option too). we'll see how frequently she's getting towards the 10t of her cassette during the next few weeks and go from there, we can agree that more climbing gear is going to be helpful, that will help us determine how much the 28 would sacrifice her top end too.

It's splitting hairs, but I just want to make the trip as enjoyable as possible for her.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I'm not sure what trails were planning to ride yet, but am 100% aware we'll do some hike a bike. I was thinking more for the longer sustained fire road type climbs (and maybe you are talking about those getting steep enough that hike a bike is the only option too). we'll see how frequently she's getting towards the 10t of her cassette during the next few weeks and go from there, we can agree that more climbing gear is going to be helpful, that will help us determine how much the 28 would sacrifice her top end too.

It's splitting hairs, but I just want to make the trip as enjoyable as possible for her.
Some of the fire roads do get quite steep, but nothing requiring dismount for a reasonably fit rider.

When I ride in Pisgah I probably never use any cogs other than the top three or four. When it's time to start heading down, pedaling often isn't necessary to go scary fast on the gnar.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Some of the fire roads do get quite steep, but nothing requiring dismount for a reasonably fit rider.

When I ride in Pisgah I probably never use any cogs other than the top three or four. When it's time to start heading down, pedaling often isn't necessary to go scary fast on the gnar.
im thinking 28 is the way to go and will make the trip that much more enjoyable for her. I think for myself I'll grab a 30.... Both reasonably fit.

Tire choice? Currently both running xc versions of dhr II up front and aardent race out back. I've recently ridden with dh tires front and rear on my bike and it kinda sucked (way northern Michigan in rocks/roots) thinking maybe throw the current dhr II out back for additional volume/traction and dh tire up front (have minions dhf, minion dhrii, high roller II, and shorties on hand) or just leave it all be?

Thanks

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
@kickstand Tire choice depends on what you want to ride and how. For me, I'll take the weight penalty and reduced rolling resistance of bigger knobs for the chunky gnar over xc tires.

Ardents are fine unless you wanna get loose, then Minion DHFs are a better choice. Most of the xc pro women run little knobs, but they're into climbing.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I swapped to a DHR II and High Roller II both in DH casing for an enduro race a few weeks back, the rolling resistance killed me in a few pedally sections of race course.

That said, I'm thinkiing DHR ii (DH Casing) up front, and DHR ii XC casing out back should provide us with decent traction for all around trails in the area, coupled with decent enough rolling resistance? I just hate to ride some of the flowier XC type trails and feel like i am pedaling a wet sponge....yet, I hate to ride some rockier stuff wishing i had a little extra volume.....

that said I've been pretty pleased with the DHR ii and Aardent XC casing combo.

I've got a pile of DH rubber to choose from if that's the recommended route.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
@kickstand You don't need DH casings. I run single ply tires and generally don't have any issues. No need to carry the rotational handicap of heavy DH casings.

If you end up doing any riding on the flow-easy™ stuff at DuPont or down the hill in N. Wilkesboro ( Warrior Creek or OVT, Over Mountain Victory) then something like a 2.25 Ardent would be a great choice. While Ardents do have a predictable, yet controllable tendency to slide in corners, they do punch through leaves fairly well providing acceptable traction.

In Pisgah proper, the roots are not really roots any more. They're more like gnarled root clusters up to a foot high that have forced me to dismount a few times. The ruts are deeeep, as in pedal grabbing deep. So I prefer meatier knobs, but don't require full on DH tires.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
In the nineties and 2000's local Chamber of Commerce's promoted the idea of calling western NY upstate. Their [NYC and environs] economy's were booming and WNY's was tanking. The thought was that if we could foster the belief that our proximity was closer we could ride on their coattails. It worked for Albany, NJ, and Western PA. Not so much here....

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@kickstand : without going into too much detail, check some of the routes here, it's a pretty good resource: http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/category/rides/pisgah-routes/

The folks at the Hub will also steer you in the right direction, too. Some of my favorite trails would include: Farlow/Daniel; Black; Bennett; Laurel to Pilot; and Squirrel. For a bit mellower place, Dupont would be good. Bent Creek, a little closer to Asheville, has some nice rides, but be sure to include Greens Lick.

We tend to head to Durham for turkey day, so chances are I won't be in Pisgah that weekend. Have fun!