Quantcast

NBR : All Terrain Truck Tires

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Seems we have a few offroaders on this board so i'll give it a shot.

Looking to buy new tires for my 2003 4X4 Frontier. One year old and i have slumped around on the BFG Longtrails for 30,000 mi. As expected the long trails SUCK in mud and offcamber terrain. I was going to run the Long trails until they wore out but my Dad just bought 20 acres and i will be using my truck to pull stumps, clear/drag logs, haul building materials through mud/creeks ect. I also do a lot of offroading while hunting. Due to the amount of on road driving i do each day, i decided an aggressive all-terrain would be a good compromise.

I narrowed it down to:
BFGoodrich All-Terrains or General Grabber AT2.
Both in 31x10.5R15

I know the BFG's are a proven tire but i do not know much about the Generals. The tread pattern almost looks identical between the two. But the Generals have a 60,000 mile tread warranty and are $30 cheaper per tire than the BFG. Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Booker said:
Seems we have a few offroaders on this board so i'll give it a shot.

Looking to buy new tires for my 2003 4X4 Frontier. One year old and i have slumped around on the BFG Longtrails for 30,000 mi. As expected the long trails SUCK in mud and offcamber terrain. I was going to run the Long trails until they wore out but my Dad just bought 20 acres and i will be using my truck to pull stumps, clear/drag logs, haul building materials through mud/creeks ect. I also do a lot of offroading while hunting. Due to the amount of on road driving i do each day, i decided an aggressive all-terrain would be a good compromise.

I narrowed it down to:
BFGoodrich All-Terrains or General Grabber AT2.

I know the BFG's are a proven tire but i do not know much about the Generals. The tread pattern almost looks identical between the two. But the Generals have a 60,000 mile tread warranty and are $30 cheaper per tire than the BFG. Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.
I love BFG AT's but they SUCK in mud. I am running BFG Mud Terrains now days. They have great road manners and kick butt off the pavement.

They are vastly better than the Goodyear MTR's and Dunlop Mud Rovers I've had over the years...

My BFG's have always had 50k plus mileage on them... the other brands last 25k max.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i only have heard good things about the bfg at tires. that's why i bought the mts :dead: . d'oh. (which look nice, grip well in sand in mud, but introduce a shake in the steering wheel at 45 mph, lots of road noise, and a bit of squirm.)

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
N8 said:
I love BFG AT's but they SUCK in mud. I am running BFG Mud Terrains now days. They have great road manners and kick butt off the pavement.

They are vastly better than the Goodyear MTR's and Dunlop Mud Rovers I've had over the years...

My BFG's have always had 50k plus mileage on them... the other brands last 25k max.
Thats interesting. I ruled out Mud tires because i was affraid they would wear rather quickly. I had Goodyear MTR's on an old Izuzu Trooper and hated them. They wore very quick, terrible grip on wet pavement, and killed the gas milage. Also i drive 30,000+ each year and didn't want to replace tires all the time. Are the BFG AT really that bad in mud? I know they ain't super swampers or anything but the have to be better than my Longtrails.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Booker said:
Thats interesting. I ruled out Mud tires because i was affraid they would wear rather quickly. I had Goodyear MTR's on an old Izuzu Trooper and hated them.
I think the MTRs are a pretty soft compound. A lot of mud tires will wear well. That still leaves you w/noise, vibration, and wandering tho.

I can't justify mudders on my DD ('99 Trooper w/3" lift), so I went w/the Nitto Terra Grapplers in 285/75. About $200 cheaper than the BFGs for 4. Just got 'em last week and they're great on the road. We'll see about the mud after it rains later this week ;)

The BFG ATs will do OK in light mud. They should definitely clean out better than the Long Trails. I dunno of any AT that will get you out of really heavy or deep stuff. BTW I got over 60k miles out of a set of Futura Dakota ATs from Pep Boys. 5-tire rotation helps a lot. They weren't great in the mud, but cleaned out pretty good at about 6000 rpm :D

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I have also had poor/fair luck with the Goodyear MTR. They are great off road. The wear too fast on the road.

WalMart has some Generic AT tires for ~$70 in 31X10.5

4x4 parts wholesalers can often sell you tires and wheels monuted and shipped for what you would pay for just tires locally.

I like the BFGoodrich ATKO, they do quite well off road if you stay out of the mud.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Toshi said:
i only have heard good things about the bfg at tires. that's why i bought the mts :dead: . d'oh. (which look nice, grip well in sand in mud, but introduce a shake in the steering wheel at 45 mph, lots of road noise, and a bit of squirm.)

I have 30k on the set I have now and they are wearing just peachy. I have them rotated and balanced once a year so they don't shimmy. I don't think they are any louder than my old AT's.

And yes... they grip far better in the gumbo mud we have around here far better than AT's.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I have Bridgestone Dueller AT REVO tires on my truck. They've been great so far for deep snow and general off-road use, but I don't go mudding/crawling or anything. I had Michelin LTX A/Ts on my last truck and those were excellent too. both are pricey but last forever.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Fathead said:
The BFG ATs will do OK in light mud. They should definitely clean out better than the Long Trails. I dunno of any AT that will get you out of really heavy or deep stuff. BTW I got over 60k miles out of a set of Futura Dakota ATs from Pep Boys. 5-tire rotation helps a lot. They weren't great in the mud, but cleaned out pretty good at about 6000 rpm :D
I think i am going to stick with AT class tires. Mud tires are just too expensive to be burning up on pavement. Does any one know anything about the Generals. The look a lot like the BFG AT.

General Grabber AT

BFGoodrich AT

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
actually the bfg has a very different tread pattern and i think they come in 2 different compounds (it may just be the MT that is available in the Moab compound). I have not been in the 4x4 scene for a couple of years but i used to drive with lots of people that swear by the BFG AT. I always ran mud terrains and got pretty good mileage out of them.

If i were you i would take a serious look at the tire offered by Pro-Comp as well they make very good performing tires at a reasonable price.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
biggins said:
If i were you i would take a serious look at the tire offered by Pro-Comp as well they make very good performing tires at a reasonable price.

Yes, the Pro Comp looks a lot more like the BFG AT's....

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Booker said:
I think i am going to stick with AT class tires. Mud tires are just too expensive to be burning up on pavement. Does any one know anything about the Generals. The look a lot like the BFG AT.
Sorry, bud. I dunno anyone who has had the Generals. Here are a few reviews tho:

http://www.epinions.com/auto-Tires-All-General_Grabber__AT/display_~reviews

That tread pattern looks like it will do OK. It's gonna pack up easy, but you should be able to clean 'em out by spinning hard. What is the treadwear rating on the tire?

BTW, ProComps (both the ATs and MTs) get mixed reviews down here. Good wear characteristics, but a range of opinions on performance.

The BFGs are pretty reasonable in your size. If I were running that size, I'd pony up the few extra bucks for 'em. For example, 4WP sells the Pro Comps for $111 and the BFGs for $119. On a ~$500 purchase, I will always give up another $32 to get something I'll like better (I'm such a sucka). As long as I'm preaching, I'll add to buy them from a local store that will warranty them or offer you a reasonably-priced "free replacement" warranty. Those are worth it if they're gonna see anything nasty.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
biggins said:
I checked out ProComp AT's at the tire shop. They actually had all three the General Grabber AT ($95), BFG AT($120) and ProComp AT($115). The pro comp looked the least aggressive out of the three. Its hard to see in the picks but the General and BFG had the same tread depth, same sized shoulder lugs, and general tread design. (blocky tread, siping, square profile) I just know the BFG is a tried and true tire but i don't know much about how the Generals hold up.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Fathead said:
That tread pattern looks like it will do OK. It's gonna pack up easy, but you should be able to clean 'em out by spinning hard. What is the treadwear rating on the tire?
The tread on the Generals has a 60,000 mi warranty.

BTW thanks for everyones help. :thumb:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Hey man, before you make a decision, another good forum to check out is nissanoffroad.net. The people there know their stuff!

and yeah, I've only heard good things about the BFG ATs. I'm trying to decide between them and the MTs, but I still have to save up to lift my pathy and buy tires......

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
BigMike said:
Hey man, before you make a decision, another good forum to check out is nissanoffroad.net. The people there know their stuff!

and yeah, I've only heard good things about the BFG ATs. I'm trying to decide between them and the MTs, but I still have to save up to lift my pathy and buy tires......
I lurk around nissanoffroad.net every once in a while. Right now i am leaning toward the BFG AT. I just need to get the shop to come down off that price. (Or give me a better deal on the Generals.)

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Booker said:
I lurk around nissanoffroad.net every once in a while. Right now i am leaning toward the BFG AT. I just need to get the shop to come down off that price. (Or give me a better deal on the Generals.)
You know you can buy BFG AT's at both WalMart and Sam's Club at a good price.