Quantcast

Nasty looking oil coming out of the spring side of my 40. Normal?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I just did my second oil change on my 40. Both times I've had the same experience. The oil that I drain out of the damper side looks normal, like old fork oil. The oil that comes out of the spring side is a thick, milky fluid that does not look like old fork oil.

Is this normal or should I be concerned?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Seals were replaced this last time due to them weeping a little bit. The previous time I changed the oil the seals were staying dry and not leaking at all. I guess a good test will be riding it for a while with these new seals and then changing the oil.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
How old is your 40? After about 3 seasons the bushings are done and new seals won't fix the leaking. Is there any scoring on the stantions yet? If not it would be worth getting new lowers (we sell them for $269). If the legs are damaged its a better value to buy a complete new fork. We have a some new (OEM non-kashima) 2011 Fox 40s for $999.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
It's a 2011 fork with just shy of a full season of riding on it. There's no scoring on the stanchions. I don't think it's the bushings, the fork really isn't very old or abused and there's no play or knock in the legs.