Quantcast

Name for a downhill race

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
how would you name a downhill event?
we're looking for a catchy title to appear on the posters/banners/stickers and also use it for the following years...

please make some suggestions

thanks

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
well... it shouldn't be linked with the sponsors, as they might be changed...and also the location (depending on the understanding of the chair lifts owners )
there is an event called the "drop'n'roll downhill challenge" which I personally like; some other titles include "adrenalize", "gravity jam" and so on

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Here's some tips:

1. It could have something to do with going down, gravity, or generally descending, your example is a good one.
2. It should imply that there's competition or racing i.e. "Challenge" or "Frenzy" or whatever - this should be a no brainer. However, finding something that says "race" without using the typical words is difficult. "Chalk Creek Stampede" I thought was a good one - it's a slalom and 4X race held on a cattle ranch near (you guessed it) Chalk Creek.
3. Alliteration, rhyme, and consonance are your friends.
4. Names tied to a place or time of year are a little easier. For our last DH event of the season, held in New Mexico, we named it "Final Descent" alluding not only to it being the last race of the year, but also hinted at alien invasion due to the location of the race.

Hope some of that helps.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Well, since the Mountain Song from Jane's Addiction was playing as I read this....I'd steal their lyrics.

"Coming down the Mountain" DH Race