Quantcast

N* = 1, Rich = 0

Bah!!! Broke my fricken' arm in three places (radial bone right next to the elbow) Saturday doing that lame ladder bridge drop over the rock garden. :mumble:

Fluid on the elbow get drained Thursday. Good news is because they're clean breaks and not compounded fractures, the doc says I should back in the saddle in about 4-5 weeks. I have the x-rays, I just have to figure out how to get 'em posted.

Also saw the ladder bridge that crosses the little creek bed colapse under a rider. (Not the short one, but the one after the tall skinny over the tall bushes)

N* stunts = :stosh:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Dude...I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry to hear!! that really blows! Especially this early in the season :( Get well soon bro...

I did those stunts once and was like *meh*. You need speed to clear that ladder bridge drop over the rocks, and there is no run in! :dead:

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Man, I am sorry to hear about your arm, that sucks!

About the two upper stunts though, I was pleasantly surprised, they were pretty skinny, nothing too crazy, but fun for a change of pace from the rest of the technical rock sections. I saw more than one person shy away from the first one after checking it out. One guy fell off the second bridge right before I went on it, I was glad to see he was ok after seeing him flail around in the bushes!

The only part that was crap were those drops, pretty poor placement as far as the run up to them. You had to pedal pretty hard up to the biggest of the three drops to clear the rocks. Those other two were so small I didn't try them, I guess they would be good to learn on though. Seems like self conscious beginers wouldn't really want to try those drops in front of all the riders going up the lift though...

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
Ronny Grady said:
Seems like self conscious beginers wouldn't really want to try those drops in front of all the riders going up the lift though...
Exactly why I didn't want to hit them. I'd rather go find a sketchy drop in the woods with a crap landing to practice on. :/

The wall ride that appeared Sat/Sunday looks like it might have potential though.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Dude that sucks!!!!!!! It was nice seeing you though again on sat, I didn't try the ladder stuff cause I suck and know i'd fall off too. Hope you have a quick recovery.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
lame ladder bridge drop over the rock garden
I don't remember seeing that, where abouts is it? Sucks to hear about your arm. I slammed my wrist really hard against a big rock and I actually remember thinking in the air just as it happened that it was going to be shattered. nothing broken though.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
surfinguru said:
the doc says I should back in the saddle in about 4-5 weeks.
I don't know if the doc is trying to make you feel better or something, but 4-5 weeks doesn't sound realistic @ all (!) then again, I only speak from experience... I'm no doctor.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
bummer!

heal quick, this type of thing doesn't really help with the positive outlook needed after all the other crap you've been dealing with lately. (if I remember correctly)

I repeat, bummer!

Thanks for all the support guys! To say I was bummed would be a huge understatement. :rolleyes:

I liked the 1st two ladder stunts, but yeah, the three drops were just worthless. I'll stick to all the other drops to flat thank you very much.

Well, the breaks are fairly small, despite there being three of them, so I'm hoping that doc wasn't trying to BS me,,,

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
no worries...I devised a treatment plan for you..

Step1: Drink Milk to for the extra calcium needed to repair those broken bones in your arm

Step 2: Drink Tequilla for the extra booze needed to heal that broken muscle in your chest.

Step 3: Repeat step 2 as many times as needed to find relief.

punkassean said:
no worries...I devised a treatment plan for you..

Step1: Drink Milk to for the extra calcium needed to repair those broken bones in your arm

Step 2: Drink Tequilla for the extra booze needed to heal that broken muscle in your chest.

Step 3: Repeat step 2 as many times as needed to find relief.

hahaha!thanks doc P. However, since I don't drink to-kill-ya anymore, I'll go with the rum-n-coke and a side of vicodin!

I think it's time to start shooting some film since I can'tride.... :think:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
well, I have a Canon GL1 and a few tripods and some editing experience...I ain't too good at math but that seems to add up purdy good I think.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Yeti DHer said:
Sorry to hear, but this proves a point. Keep the stunts in canada!
no way dude, we need stunts at N*, that way I will only have to drive 4 hours instead of 20 hours. They just need to steal away one or two of the trail builders from Whistler in order to do it right from what I've read in this thread.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
totally off topic but... Yeti DHerand Arcadian both signed up within two days of each other and have about a bizillion posts between them. Where do you guys find the time?

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
School. Taking 2 computer classes during high school really helped my post count... If you only knew how many posts luc REALLY has... Before he... :sneaky:

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Northstar already has a couple log rides and drops... Man made stunts should be kept where they were before, down by the lift and the tables. :nope: ;)

Acadian said:
surfinguru, how did your crash happen btw? did you just come off nose heavy? Cased the rocks?

again...best of luck with the recovery!
Well, I knew I had to come in with some speed, but probably carried a little too much. Since you have to roll in kinda off camber, it pushed me left causing me to miss the end of the ladder by about a foot. I knew there was no way I was going to make it over the rocks from there, so I tried to push the bike down and away from me as I got near the end of the ladder. Problem was I ditched a tad too early and caught either the BB or a pedal and just got launched. Supermanned over the bars head first into the rock pile. Missed it by that much. (finger and thumb 1/2 inch apart) I ended up catching just the heel of my hand on one of the rocks and popped off of it. SNAP! That was it. Game over.

Now a decent chunck of the season is over and I'll more than likely miss the first of the three DH races there this year. Oh well, live and learn,

Luc, nice find! That first pic of the tall skinny makes it look hella skinny! I had nothing to do except watch on Sunday, so I went over to that stunt just to see how tall it was. I'm 6'0" and with my "good" arm over my head, it was palm level, so I'm gonna call it 71/2 - 8' tall. Man that place is fun! Can't wait to heal up enough to get back up there.

Anyway, finally managed to get a pic of the x-ray:

Attachments

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
ooo - that looks painful. Drink LOTS of milk - hope you heal up fast.

- dump

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
surfinguru said:
eh, no problem. Glad I could be of some use. :D

You know, one of these days, when I'm over this "thing" we're all gonna have to hook up and actually ride. :thumb:
For sure!!! Keep me posted when you are making your come back.

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
Cool that you got the X-ray. Thanks for sharing :think: All I can say is:
Ouch! ouch! ouch! ouch!

I still say that adding rocks to the ladder bridge area is F-ing stupid. It doesn't make the stunt any harder, it just makes it more likely to hurt people :mumble:

Based on the construction values of the stunts, I seriously suggest that monkeys pre-walk them every weekend before they ride them. I bet that the tall ladder bridge falls over sometime this summer :dead:

Get this, Rich hung out with a broken arm (after getting it checked) so that the rest of us could get our N* fix. Thanks again Rich :thumb: You were tearing it up, right up until "the incident" Summer is just starting. Pleanty of time to even the score. In the meantime maybe you can film the next UFC video...

Talked briefly with Brian, but didn't run into you the rest of the weekend...Nice meeting you, but it was before our first run and I was a little anxious to try some N* rocks. Apparently we just missed Luc. Spotted several other monkeys, but didn't get a chance to ride with any (Nice paint DHgirlie). Did run into the crew from MSDHW and did a few runs with them... Nice group, but they make me feel old :( Looking forward to riding with more :monkey: 's this summer.

Scott

goin' medium said:
I still say that adding rocks to the ladder bridge area is F-ing stupid. It doesn't make the stunt any harder, it just makes it more likely to hurt people :mumble:

Based on the construction values of the stunts, I seriously suggest that monkeys pre-walk them every weekend before they ride them. I bet that the tall ladder bridge falls over sometime this summer :dead:

Scott
Hey Guys, believe that! I watched the 1st creek crossing bridge (the one after the tall bridge over the bushes) collapse under a kid on Sunday. It was his first run of the day at like 10am. The support 4x4 posts looked like they couldn't have been sunk any more than 2"-3" into the ground. Kid ended up getting his hand stuck in between the slates and damn near broke his hand.

Sorry N*, I don't think I'll be ridding your "stunts" again. :dead: The trails? Absolutely! :thumb:

Scott, thanks for the props bro. There was no way I was gonna make you guys bail early because of my "incident."

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
goin' medium said:
Cool that you got the X-ray. Thanks for sharing :think: All I can say is:
Ouch! ouch! ouch! ouch!

Get this, Rich hung out with a broken arm (after getting it checked) so that the rest of us could get our N* fix. Thanks again Rich :thumb: You were tearing it up, right up until "the incident" Summer is just starting. Pleanty of time to even the score. In the meantime maybe you can film the next UFC video...

Talked briefly with Brian, but didn't run into you the rest of the weekend...Nice meeting you, but it was before our first run and I was a little anxious to try some N* rocks. Apparently we just missed Luc. Spotted several other monkeys, but didn't get a chance to ride with any (Nice paint DHgirlie). Did run into the crew from MSDHW and did a few runs with them... Nice group, but they make me feel old :( Looking forward to riding with more :monkey: 's this summer.

Scott
I sould be there for the day on the 3rd. You should go.