Quantcast

My goldfish like users are going to drive me insane today...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I swear to god, someone just called me and said that she was told to restart her computer. It was shutdown and she had absolutely no clue what to do next. :mumble:

This is after doing nothing for the last hour and a half but reseting passwords for these retards.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
I am glad that I can use SMS for any real trouble that comes up, otherwise I think that I would have snapped a long time ago.

An acrobat reader install would be WAY above alot of the users here.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think it is time to move to the next level of administration, like DNS or backup.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Tenchiro said:
I swear to god, someone just called me and said that she was told to restart her computer. It was shutdown and she had absolutely no clue what to do next. :mumble:

This is after doing nothing for the last hour and a half but reseting passwords for these retards.

LOL!

You sound like a firefighter mad because there is a fire he has to put out.

:p

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I've been on the phone with Epson all day, their CX11NF printer won't push scan to our server for some reason:

Adam: Ok, i installed it on a client PC and it worked fine, but it won't pick up the server for some reason
Tech: Well you must have something installed that's blocking it
Adam: Nope, it's a clean build, Server 2003, nothing on it besides you're drivers and software. Tell me what port to open up and we'll try that
Tech: There's something wrong with your server
Adam: Excuse me?
Tech: I can't troubleshoot your server, sorry
Adam: I can't troubleshoot your software!

Mother ****er

-Adam

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
You sound like a firefighter mad because there is a fire he has to put out.
No, more like a firefighter who's mad because the fires he's been putting out all day were lit by homeowners who thought it was a good idea to put out cigarettes on shag carpet.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
I just had a caller, she wanted to listen to music but not use the computer otherwise. She put her scarf over the monuitor because she didn't want to be irradiated.

She didn't know about the off button.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i have a new appreciation for tech support after dealing w/ my dad's PC issues over the phone.

getting him to download, unzip, view and save some photos i sent to him via yousendit.com was a goddamn nightmare.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
i have a new appreciation for tech support after dealing w/ my dad's PC issues over the phone.

getting him to download, unzip, view and save some photos i sent to him via yousendit.com was a goddamn nightmare.

I was trying to help out a friend of mine once and I told him to "click on My Computer" and he said, "where is My Computer?"

:p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I walked my mom through an install of Vonage a couple weeks ago which involves installing a broadband router in between the modem and computer. I was trying to figure out if it was worth my sanity to just buy a plane ticket, fly up there, and do it myself.

"Okay, okay. Now, the power cord that you just unplugged: I need you to plug it back into the silver box."

"Wait.. I dropped it. Hey, there are two, no three of these down here!"

"Uh. Power cords? They're not attached to anything?"

"No, I guess I must have taken whatever they were plugged into and not removed the cords. Which one do I use?"

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
The freeware remote control program (VNC) looks better and better all the time for my relatives' PCs....... :mad:
my dad's got an annoying habit of thinking everything is the latest and greatest, so he's got tons of crap like various media players, spyware detectors, etc all loaded onto his machine and he wonders why it runs like dogcrap.

for xmas i was seriously thinking of doing a complete data backup (since he doesn't know how to use his cd burner, even after i showed him last year) and doing a complete wipe and fresh install. then not giving him admin rights.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:

THANK YOU!!!!!

People who have never done it have no idea how difficult phone support can be.

Tench, try DAMEWARE for remote control. It's way elegant. No server required... just need the PC name and the credentials to get into it. It will install and start the remote service for you and stop it and remove when you are done. Users never know we were there. It has low overhead so it won't bog down your PC. very nice.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Ciaran said:
THANK YOU!!!!!

Tench, try DAMEWARE for remote control. It's way elegant. No server required... just need the PC name and the credentials to get into it. It will install and start the remote service for you and stop it and remove when you are done. Users never know we were there. It has low overhead so it won't bog down your PC. very nice.
I don't get a choice of what to use so SMS is it, the only real problem is you can't search for the host name. So I end up sorting the list of 2000+ PC's and scrolling through manually. It is a good thing that they are created sequentially.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ciaran said:
<snip>
I did it for about 4 years before I couldn't handle it anymore. Luckily, I got a chance to do Unix support at that point, which has been about the best career thing that has happened to me. :thumb: