Quantcast

my first "true" race bike

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I need you advice. I want to build up a dedicated race bike. My curent bike is more like a hybrid freeride/race bike. Which of these frames would be th ebest? Price and ease of service (single pivot) are some of the factors.

pdc 8two5
2006 demo 8
ironhorse yakuza
2005 giant team dh
2005 faith w/ flipped links
gemini (2004 or 2005)
shockwave 9.5 (2004 or 2005)
swd crazy 8 or 216

I will put most of the same components on the frame (six way w/ ti coil, 823 on hopes, e13, 2007 888 or boxxer, hone cranks chris king headset....)

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
your missing out some very important information there man. where do you live, what is your weight, where are you going to be ridding it (mostly), and what is your ridding style. your final choice is determined by all of those catagories i just mentioned. throw those in and we will be able to really help you out man.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I wiegh 180-190 w/0 gear. I live in portland oregon, so there is some wet, rooty stuff. It will also be ridden at winterpark in colorado and whistler in the summer.

I will have a dedicated freeride bike though. If it is any frame in that selection but the faith, the faith will be the freeride bike, if the faith is chosen as the DH bike, I will buy a jamis diablo for a freeride bike.

Yeah, that pdc looks sick. The only thing I am worrried about is the steep headtube angle (I think).

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
If you're looking at 3 year old frames, I'm guessing your on a budget. Get yourself a brand new frame with custom geo. Under $1400 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel...that's smokin'.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I am on a budget, the gemini was really just a whim (and its single pivot), but I found a good deal on an 05 or 06 demo 8.

I didn't know that the swd comes w/ a db...

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
where does it list the prices?

(I hate to say it, but that frame is the ugliest one I have seen...That being said, I am more of a function over form type of guy so will suck it up)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I say separate your DH and FR bikes more. Get a small-travel bike for jumps, pedalling, and all-around riding, and a full-on DH bike too. IE a Bottlerocket or similar and a DH bike.

I really like my Demo 8.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
the pdc isnt budget at all, 2250 for the frame, older demos are tanks, and an older giant isnt worth it, you cant even get ahold of them for your faith. swd's look money, same with the chilean frame, he just pmed me back today, 385 for the frame with 1 and 1/8 headset, 73mm bb, and 135 rear, 1.5 hs 83 bb and 150mm rear are 15 extra each, and he is a marzocchi dealer, so you could get a roco on it. you arent thinking very budget here

edit: not to mention you can get a bunch of colors with vitox

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
My Demo is just over 40 pounds not even trying. With a Boxxer WC, Ti spring, light wheels, and FSA Gravity Lights, a carbon bar, and other light bits like alloy bolts it'd be around 38.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
where does it list the prices?

(I hate to say it, but that frame is the ugliest one I have seen...That being said, I am more of a function over form type of guy so will suck it up)
Have a homie who just got one (216), so I know what he paid.

Don't get the "ugliest one I have seen" comment, very clean and simple bike in person.