atomic dhrs laced to atomic 20mm and hadley 12mm x 160mm hubs
minion 2.5" slow reezay f and r
horrible, horrible race face xy0 post
31.8mm bar/stem combo by planet x

any questions? :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
sorry, i don't know about the bearing specs. call the canfield brothers up, i'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions like that: http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/Contact.htm

yes, the reservoir is very close to the downtube. in fact, a thumbnail size dent had to be put in the downtube by the previous owner for clearance. the production frames don't have this problem. i'm not worried either way tho, since the 6 way is going to be the backup once my avalanche gets back from being revalved :devil:

other changes between this one and production: shorter stays, no bottle opener, separate mount for the upper pulley.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Toshi said:
sorry, i don't know about the bearing specs. call the canfield brothers up, i'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions like that: http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/Contact.htm

yes, the reservoir is very close to the downtube. in fact, a thumbnail size dent had to be put in the downtube by the previous owner for clearance. the production frames don't have this problem. i'm not worried either way tho, since the 6 way is going to be the backup once my avalanche gets back from being revalved :devil:

other changes between this one and production: shorter stays, no bottle opener, separate mount for the upper pulley.
Fuggin cool man... the bottle opener is sweet! How long are the stays on that (sagged if possible, but static is cool) and how much shorter are proddy ones?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thaflyinfatman said:
Fuggin cool man... the bottle opener is sweet! How long are the stays on that (sagged if possible, but static is cool) and how much shorter are proddy ones?
this one has 17.5" stays, measured at rest, as per the pinkbike writeup. http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news/?op=articleview&id=1719 (the polished frame in those pics is this one, cool eh? :D). suffice to say that they are long. i can't manual AT ALL, but it feels very stable on the trails and furthermore has proven to be balanced in the air and off of drops even with the monster up front.

the production ones are supposed to have 17" stays, again according to that pinkbike article. i'm not sure how the final measurements turned out, i have no inside info -- i'm just some shmoe who had the chance to buy a proto :thumb:

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Toshi said:
this one has 17.5" stays, measured at rest, as per the pinkbike writeup. http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news/?op=articleview&id=1719 (the polished frame in those pics is this one, cool eh? :D). suffice to say that they are long. i can't manual AT ALL, but it feels very stable on the trails and furthermore has proven to be balanced in the air and off of drops even with the monster up front.

the production ones are supposed to have 17" stays, again according to that pinkbike article. i'm not sure how the final measurements turned out, i have no inside info -- i'm just some shmoe who had the chance to buy a proto :thumb:
Ah ok, sounds good. My dh bike (SGS) has 17.9" stays under sag, and they're too long. 17" sounds good, accounting for chainstay growth. I'd love to try a Canfield one day.

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
Toshi said:
yes, the reservoir is very close to the downtube. in fact, a thumbnail size dent had to be put in the downtube by the previous owner for clearance. the production frames don't have this problem.
The Norwegian Canfield importer had 5 production frames come in with that exact problem.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
very cool. did you have to get a drop crown for the monster? or do you like the silver/black combo? ;)

i've got a silver bottom crown/steerer if you wanna stop by to pick it up.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Acadian said:
Nice bro..I had no idea you wanted one!! You got the only bike with the Bottle opener :cool: Let us know how you like it?

great pics 2! :thumb:
Sadly the bottle opener is gone but the production version has a very cool skull and cross bones brace on the rear! Very cool bikes. :drool:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
damn toshi your F1 looks nice!!!! :eek: :eek:
be careful with that bottle opener thingy!
don't open up some sensible parts of yours. ;)

the production bikes have a slightly bent downtube to have more room for the swinger reservoir.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
very cool. did you have to get a drop crown for the monster? or do you like the silver/black combo? ;)

i've got a silver bottom crown/steerer if you wanna stop by to pick it up.
heh. i bought the fork used, and he had the mismatched crowns since he'd snapped the first one by running it into the top tube in a crash.
Acadian said:
Nice bro..I had no idea you wanted one!! You got the only bike with the Bottle opener :cool: Let us know how you like it?

great pics 2! :thumb:
thanks! i wasn't really considering it due to its price even tho i'd lusted after it when the pinkbike interbike writeup first appeared, but my "low dh frame" thread created an opportunity that i couldn't pass up. i will definitely write more about it at the end of this season. there is one other (lance canfield's blue proto) with the bottle opener...
Trond said:
The Norwegian Canfield importer had 5 production frames come in with that exact problem.
i stand corrected. everyone should be running avalanches anyway... :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
what bike did you have the avalanche on? i can't imagine the uzzi would fit that beast. or did you buy that used as well?
bought it from KonaDude for tuppence. the uzzi only had a puny fox vanilla rc...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
yes please work with craig to get a good setup for an avalanche on that bike, i am not to sure about the swinger on mine!

as for the dent, my bike does have a "dent" there, but to me it more looks like the downtube is bent a little to make room for the reservoir.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've heard that alot of companies have stopped putting bottle openers on bikes for liability reasons. Weak.
Thankfully, Time Z's work great for just that purpose. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
UiUiUiUi said:
yes please work with craig to get a good setup for an avalanche on that bike, i am not to sure about the swinger on mine!

as for the dent, my bike does have a "dent" there, but to me it more looks like the downtube is bent a little to make room for the reservoir.
craig sent me an email on june 8 saying it works fine. he also sent me a pic of the setup -- the reservoir is mounted forward on the downtube (on the inside of the front triangle, of course). it looks good :drool: . i'd post the pic but for being over the attachment quota

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oly said:
nice lookign rig toshi. Ill have to contact ya next time in in P town. I'd love to see it in person.
i'm moving to seattle in a month and half if that makes the drive easier :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i don't know the complete weight yet. i'll haul it out to universal cycles soon enough tho and they can hang it on their scale. my guess is upper 40s tho, helpful eh? ;)

luc, it all came about due to RM. seriously. heh. lance canfield apparently read my "a low dh fs frame" thread, saw that i mentioned the f1 favorably but was looking for something used and proceeded to offer up for sale either of the two used f1s available at that time (his and chris's). then it moved to several weeks of calling them twice a week until they shipped it :D

matt, the only issue that i've run into is that i had to space the caliper inward about 3 mm. not such a big deal. and yes, it's a hadley. i don't even know what else i could run given that razor rock is out of business, no?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Ha, ha

I rode your bike. So did a lot of other people at interbike. I prefer that my bikes are virgin bikes when I buy them so they think that I am the best rider ever :)

Seriously, the dent for the shock resivour was put in the frame intentionally. I asked Chris about it at interbike. It is not a big deal.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thaflyinfatman said:
Oh, 3rd question: what kind of bearings does it use in the linkage?
i found out, due to having a pivot bolt back out on me (my fault) over a very long day of shuttling. i didn't even notice until the guys pulled my bike off the trailer the next day and noticed the rear wheel had an unnatural amount of play.

anyway, the bearings in mine are 6804 RS. that would be 20 x 32 x 7 mm (id, od, width). since half of mine are sticky feeling anyway -- i bought the frame used, remember -- i think i might just buy a bunch of abec5 bearings in that size from this outfit, assuming they do small orders: http://www.abiindustries.com/enduro/endurobearings.html

also, for the record, the pivot bolts are 10mm. not the oddball 9mm i somehow got into my head on sunday, heh.

about the bike itself: after two weekends on it i am still extremely pleased with it. i may even be able to manual it eventually :eek: , and the avalanche is soaking up hits small and large with aplomb. anyone want to buy a used swinger? :D finally, the minimal chain growth (thanks to the pulley) means that i can run an 11-34 cassette with a short cage rear derailleur with no problems at all through the entire range of travel. that is key.

the scene from this past saturday, my bike's the farthest one on the left, barely visible:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
S.G.D said:
that first picture is awesome

~SGD
thanks. for the other ones i figured you guys just wanted to see the bike so put composition aside... :D

and Hrelp, yes, it is long, but not unreasonably so for a dh frame. it's even quite manageable on pac nw skinnies and the like, especially with 36x34t gearing and little bob under pedaling.