Quantcast

My Body Armor Problem...

Gnar

Chimp
May 14, 2004
ATL
OK....l ordered the SP-1 suit because Beyond Bikes said it is more manuverable and lighter(plus Steve Peat designed it). Well, I am 6' 1 and like 156 pounds(skinny bastard) and beyond bikes said a large would fit. I get it, try it on, the mesh is sliding around, i have all the straps tightened down. Does not look good. So I'm like, ok, maybe a medium will fit me. I got it in today and I don't know how long I will fit in this. It seems to fit, but the elbows are sliding up a bit, plus it is really short. I didnt know if it was supposed to be this short. Does the medium look too small? Should I just wash the large and hope it fits me soon?

Attachments

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I'm 6'1" and about 175 and have a large. Right after puting in on, the pads do slide around and feel like something's wrong. But as soon as I jump on the bike and get riding the sliding feeling goes away. I haven't had a serious wreck yet that would test the pad movement yet, but so far so good.

That M is way too short. That velcro strap is a kidney belt, not a rib strap.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
6'1" and 156#. Damn, I thought I was skinny. That medium looks like it fits you perfect. But as soon as you get hair on your balls, your gonna fill out quick. Then your gonna look like a sausage in that thing. I'm 6'1" and 170# soakin' wet and I wear a large. I'd get the large and wear a jersey under it for a season.

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
Gnar said:
OK....l ordered the SP-1 suit because Beyond Bikes said it is more manuverable and lighter(plus Steve Peat designed it). Well, I am 6' 1 and like 156 pounds(skinny bastard) and beyond bikes said a large would fit. I get it, try it on, the mesh is sliding around, i have all the straps tightened down. Does not look good. So I'm like, ok, maybe a medium will fit me. I got it in today and I don't know how long I will fit in this. It seems to fit, but the elbows are sliding up a bit, plus it is really short. I didnt know if it was supposed to be this short. Does the medium look too small? Should I just wash the large and hope it fits me soon?
Seriously......661 stuff is junk. I got the expensive pressure suit (yellow piping) in large and it didnt fit. I am 5'9 180lbs. The piece of crap didnt fit good at all. All of the straps were at full closure, and the chest was sticking up off my chest....the piece of crap was too big. I am not skinny, and the LARGE was too big? I have hated all of their products except my
2003 race leg pads. I also ordered new 4X4 and race pads this year in large of course, and they were both WAY too long on my legs. I emailed them and they said that there isnt much of a length difference between large and medium or small. Bunch of total crap. I say we have a huge 661 bonfire.

Gnar

Chimp
May 14, 2004
ATL
KleinMp99 said:
Seriously......661 stuff is junk. I got the expensive pressure suit (yellow piping) in large and it didnt fit. I am 5'9 180lbs. The piece of crap didnt fit good at all. All of the straps were at full closure, and the chest was sticking up off my chest....the piece of crap was too big. I am not skinny, and the LARGE was too big? I have hated all of their products except my
2003 race leg pads. I also ordered new 4X4 and race pads this year in large of course, and they were both WAY too long on my legs. I emailed them and they said that there isnt much of a length difference between large and medium or small. Bunch of total crap. I say we have a huge 661 bonfire.
Well, what the hell am I supposed to get?

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
The first time I put my armor on, it felt like it was way-way to big, so I tried a big sweatshirt underneath my armor, but that was during the winter time.
So in the summer I only had a T-shirt underneath and I noticed that when standing and walking it 'feels' too big, but once on the bike it stays put.

But on those pic's it looks like your shoulder pads are a little 'too' low to fit,
even in the riding position? Hop on your bike and try it.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
This is why you try the stupid stuff on before hand, then order it online :)

I agree. I am a large basturd. 6ft, 240lbs. I wear a X-large rockgardn flakjacket. Fits like a glove though.

Even leg armor, XL, gloves, largest fox makes. I am just ogar. But I tried the stuff on first, as I was very worried things wouldn't fit as bike clothing and gear is sized for retards and not normal sized people.

It looks right.....if anything, you could try a different size or pick up a underarmor long sleeve shirt and try it. Might help a little

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
Rock gardn all the way, I just got some not to long ago and it fits me really well. I might be putting it to the test this weekend at my first DH race :thumb:

Gnar

Chimp
May 14, 2004
ATL
GiantDHRider said:
dainese is the standard
Could you tell me where to get some, because I can't find a large Safety Jacket or Next anywhere. I have tried Go-Ride, Beyond Bikes, Cambria bikes, and others and they all say I would have to wait till half the season is over to get one. Where can I get one that has them in stock and can ship now? I need your help!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Gnar said:
Could you tell me where to get some, because I can't find a large Safety Jacket or Next anywhere. I have tried Go-Ride, Beyond Bikes, Cambria bikes, and others and they all say I would have to wait till half the season is over to get one. Where can I get one that has them in stock and can ship now? I need your help!
www.transcendmagazine.com

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
The 661 stuff seems to fit bigger guys better (supercut Lopes-style guys, and guys that just drank too much during the winter if you catch my drift ;), but if you're thin it's tough to get them to feel good. I'm 6'2" and about 195 so I'm not super thin but not all built either, and I've only had good luck with Azonic Z5 jackets (I'm on my second jacket right now since '99). The Dainese stuff does fit like a champ and has better spine protector technology than anybody else, but it's pricey and the material can snag on branches and whatnot more than some other brands can.

If you're not happy with how the 661 fits, I'd go Azonic. If you feel like the medium fits well for you now, you might as well hang on to it for the season and hook up your little brother or some other grom next year if you fill out after the season ends.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Indeed. Fraser at Transcend is out of the office until early next week, but i'm pretty sure he will have what you want in stock... Transcend has the best prices, by far.

Gnar

Chimp
May 14, 2004
ATL
SuspectDevice said:
Indeed. Fraser at Transcend is out of the office until early next week, but i'm pretty sure he will have what you want in stock... Transcend has the best prices, by far.
Thanks... I finally just said Fucl( it, I'll order a large one of those too. So hopefully with all three of these at my house, I'll be able to send 2 home. God I hate not having an LBS that sells Dh equiptment. I hate Georgia!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Gnar said:
Thanks... I finally just said Fucl( it, I'll order a large one of those too. So hopefully with all three of these at my house, I'll be able to send 2 home. God I hate not having an LBS that sells Dh equiptment. I hate Georgia!
Are you Sure Chris Wyatt doesn't have stuff oer' at whatever shop he owns (APB?)

Gnar

Chimp
May 14, 2004
ATL
SuspectDevice said:
Are you Sure Chris Wyatt doesn't have stuff oer' at whatever shop he owns (APB?)
I didn't know he owned a shop. I thought he was a tire engineer for Maxxis. I'm not sure about that one.