Quantcast

My Bikes

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I've been lurking around RM for a while and haven't posted my rides, mainly because I've been too lazy to take some photos. Well, I finally took some photos today as I'm selling some stuff on a local website and thought I'd take some of the bikes in their current set up.

2005 Med Sunday Factory frame w/ DHX5 & 300# spring
2004 888 RR's (oem) w/ Go-Ride crowns and Funn Stem
Mavic 721s (32f, 36r) laced to Ritchey f and Specialized r hub
Holzfella 170mm cranks
LG1 Guide
Easton EA70 Monkeybar 31.8 DH low rise
Saint brake calipers w/ Deore levers and 203mm rotors
SRAM X9 shifter and mech
ODI Ruffians
Thomson Elite post
Specialized Alias 143 Ti saddle
Nox pedals
Wetscream tyres (usually High Rollers or Minions)

2005 Specialized SX frame set, 104mm travel
Fox 32 TALAS RL 130mm fork
Fox Float R rear shock
Cross Max XL wheel set
Holzfella 170mm cranks
Gamut guide
Easton MonkeyLite 31.8 DH bar
Thomson X4 50mm stem
Saint brake calipers w/ Deore levers and 160mm rotors
SRAM X9 shifter and mech
ODI Ruffians
Thomson Elite post
Specialized Alias 143 Ti saddle
Intense DC System 4 2.2 tyres.
Mallet Mag pedals

Planned upgrades include Ti spring for the DHX, a new front fork once our southern summer is over (888 WC), new 5.1 rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs for the SX and a new fork for the SX (Lyric adj 115-160mm).

I rode both bikes this Labour weekend at Rotorua on beautiful days, with mint trails and great company. Am planning another trip down soon and will get some photos of the trails for you monkeys.

Happy Trails

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Sweet bikes. I have the same duo- a Sunday and an SX. '06 Sunday WC, and the SX is an '05 like yours, but with a gusseted, SX Trail chainstay.

Ever considered a Gravity Dropper/Speedball for the SX? I'm on the fence right now... damn things are expensive though.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Sweet bikes. I have the same duo- a Sunday and an SX. '06 Sunday WC, and the SX is an '05 like yours, but with a gusseted, SX Trail chainstay.

Ever considered a Gravity Dropper/Speedball for the SX? I'm on the fence right now... damn things are expensive though.
Thanks, seems we have similar tastes.

I tend to run the post a little lower than whats in the picture and the bikes stand over is so low thats its never really a problem. I like my bikes simple, so things like gravity dropper posts tend to put me off. If I was setting up a Megavalance bike I would consider one.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Thanks, seems we have similar tastes.

I tend to run the post a little lower than whats in the picture and the bikes stand over is so low thats its never really a problem. I like my bikes simple, so things like gravity dropper posts tend to put me off. If I was setting up a Megavalance bike I would consider one.
I actually raced my SX in a MaxiAvalanche- it's a shorter version of the Megavalanche, only about 20 mins long, in Vallnord, Andorra. With a 6" fork, it worked great! Secret, sneaky weapon of a bike in the singletrack.

I don't think you understood me. I ride mostly XC on the ole SX nowadays, and can't quite get full leg extension with the stock Syncros post. I'm thinking about a Speedball/Gravity Dropper for light DH races/Super D/Downieville; but only if it would be taller than the Syncros post. My knees are hurting pretty bad from over 100 miles a week with the seat too low.

For slalom racing and jumping, I've got a second seat and post that's cut super short to get things uber-slammed.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sweet bikes.

I like my bikes simple, so things like gravity dropper posts tend to put me off.
I feel the same way but a gravity dropper (or speedball) is worth the expense and complexity to me. I was skeptical but am fully converted, it's a great thing, especially if your trails roll up and down a lot (as opposed to long climbs followed by long descents).

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I actually raced my SX in a MaxiAvalanche- it's a shorter version of the Megavalanche, only about 20 mins long, in Vallnord, Andorra. With a 6" fork, it worked great! Secret, sneaky weapon of a bike in the singletrack.

I don't think you understood me. I ride mostly XC on the ole SX nowadays, and can't quite get full leg extension with the stock Syncros post. I'm thinking about a Speedball/Gravity Dropper for light DH races/Super D/Downieville; but only if it would be taller than the Syncros post. My knees are hurting pretty bad from over 100 miles a week with the seat too low.

For slalom racing and jumping, I've got a second seat and post that's cut super short to get things uber-slammed.
I catch your drift now. The seat tube is pretty short on the SX so a gravity dropper would make sense for XC. I run my post a little longer than I would normally, and accept I cant slam the post down for the trade off of getting proper extension.

Racing the Maxi sounds the business. I read about the one they held in the UK in last DIRT mag. Point to point DH stage racing....wicked fun.

Cheers Monkeys

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The SX is a 'long' frame set. The 4 inch frames only came in long or short designations. I am 5'8". The seat is set higher than I normally run it as it just came of the bike rack.
Hey, we're the same height. I've also got the long. You don't wanna hear this though: the short rails slalom/4x berms and gets through dirt jumps MUCH better. Dammit! However, I feel the long is much more versatile. Yay on options.