Quantcast

Murderers.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by DRB
She said and I quote "Information, any kind of information is better than none....and maybe the few of them who get the information, be it wrong or right will convince them to at least verify the facts and maybe they'll at least start using condoms...or practice abstinence."
Still you read into it what you will....:rolleyes: Maybe she could be refering to it being right or wrong to give information. The rest of her thread says how she handed out condoms and educated sheltered catholic students where it was unacceptable to do so

And "I" qoute:
In college I was an RA - each RA had to specialize in one or two things and hold workshops around the campus. My focuses were STDs and Rape. We were responsible for educating the campus, and being first contact counselors when situations arose.

At one of my workshops a bunch of students from the neighboring Catholic University showed up and begged us to wander their campus in Easter and distribute condoms and packets of information to their students, because they, as Catholic students, could not. We don't know how effective our little easter campaign ended up being...but the spread of information has to help....it has to.
Your whole problem is with three words....esentially a qualifying phrase, and you lost all focus about what she is trying to say.

My problem with the post is that it relies on someone to verify that what they are hearing is true or not. What if they take the wrong information and just accept it as truth and act on it? Let me quote the actual article

"The Catholic Church is telling people in countries stricken by Aids not to use condoms because they have tiny holes in them through which HIV can pass - potentially exposing thousands of people to risk.
The church is making the claims across four continents despite a widespread scientific consensus that condoms are impermeable to HIV."

My problem with the post is that spreading false information is actually much much worse than saying nothing especially when folks act on the misinformation.

You have alone erected a flimsy bridge to get what she wrote to argue your point....all the while she was not dissagreeing with you. You simply missread her post. You chose a bad example to continue your point....that is really all I am saying.

As for when she typed it, doesn't make a sam hill's bit of difference. The fact of the matter is that little gem of HIV cure information" is being spread around and being accepted by folks as truth and horribly being put into practice.

There is more on the line in Africa, then telling someone "No those jeans don't make you look fat."
Attacking her for a post that happened after she posted, wich she did not respond to, and had no real connection to for an opinion is simply wrong. You can ask her opinion on it, but not attack her for what she couldn't possibly be refering to in her post.

I agree that HIV/Africa is a real problem. I am not arguing that. Just that you "might" have read her post wrong.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by RhinofromWA Snipped all of your previous post

This is becoming a waste of my time. So for the last time until Jr. Bullit comes around for a discussion about her post....

Please notice the very very first thing I said in my very first response to her post. "What? I can't be reading this right." Then I asked questions, to which she may or may not respond to. So it very well maybe that once (if ever) she explains her remarks then I'll know. But since you have appointed yourself her protector, I'm left to deal with you for the time being.

The reason I even ask and again I quote with no emphasis since since that seems to have hung you up.

"Information, any kind of information is better than none....and maybe the few of them who get the information, be it wrong or right will convince them to at least verify the facts and maybe they'll at least start using condoms...or practice abstinence."

See the line "any kind of information is better than none" added with the ",be it wrong or right"? It is not a stretch that I have read it the way I have. Maybe the question is how do you read it?

It all goes to the heart of the thread. Is it acceptable that the Catholic Church or anyone for that matter is spreading misinformation when discussing the HIV/AIDS crisis affecting Africa? My stance is absolutely not and that it is practically the worse thing that could be done.

I haven't attacked anyone.....yet. Nor have I said that she is spreading wrong information. She is to be commended for whatever she is doing to spread awareness and proper information about STDs and how to avoid them properly. Give me her address and I'll send her flowers.

BUT if anyone thinks that spreading any misinformation is a good thing, then they deserve to be called on it. And calling them on it does include how they can possibly justify it when folks are spreading the sorts of information that is leading to child rape and other such atrocities.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by DRB
This is becoming a waste of my time. So for the last time until Jr. Bullit comes around for a discussion about her post....

Please notice the very very first thing I said in my very first response to her post. "What? I can't be reading this right." Then I asked questions, to which she may or may not respond to. So it very well maybe that once (if ever) she explains her remarks then I'll know. But since you have appointed yourself her protector, I'm left to deal with you for the time being.
Yes I have been saying "you missread the post" from the start. Why is it you don't believe me......:confused: It would be a much less waste of your time if you would maybe consider my posting regarding Jr_B.

The reason I even ask and again I quote with no emphasis since since that seems to have hung you up.

"Information, any kind of information is better than none....and maybe the few of them who get the information, be it wrong or right will convince them to at least verify the facts and maybe they'll at least start using condoms...or practice abstinence."

See the line "any kind of information is better than none" added with the ",be it wrong or right"? It is not a stretch that I have read it the way I have. Maybe the question is how do you read it?

First off bolding that particular part was deliberate on your part and was directing me to your contention. I "hung up" on it because that is what you were presenting as your problem with the statement. I know exactly what your contention is and I am telling you you missread the post.

Again you need to reread the statement, as a whole, and see where it was going. She was the one handing out condoms and literature at a catholic school. Hoping the information would do some good.

I have know Jr_B for over 3 years, and don't see her making the statement the way you have taken it.....not even close. I find it funny you ignore the rest of the messege and go after that statement that by itself is up to debate. But if you factor in the rest of the statement it clarifies the messege she was making is not the same one you are questioning. She is a big girl and doesn't need me to speak for her. I am letting you know as her friend that you are off on this one. Take that for what it is worth.

It all goes to the heart of the thread. Is it acceptable that the Catholic Church or anyone for that matter is spreading misinformation when discussing the HIV/AIDS crisis affecting Africa? My stance is absolutely not and that it is practically the worse thing that could be done.

I agree with your point.....but again, you choose the wrong way/person to convey it. How can I be any clearer? You have a valid point but are questioning the wrong post in this thread. She isn't dissagreeing with you. To answer your first paragraph you wrote to Jr_B You have taken her post the wrong way

I haven't attacked anyone.....yet. Nor have I said that she is spreading wrong information. She is to be commended for whatever she is doing to spread awareness and proper information about STDs and how to avoid them properly. Give me her address and I'll send her flowers.

I must have created an agressive tone when I read it....for that I appologize. But, I will let her send you her address for the flowers :D ;)

BUT if anyone thinks that spreading any misinformation is a good thing, then they deserve to be called on it. And calling them on it does include how they can possibly justify it when folks are spreading the sorts of information that is leading to child rape and other such atrocities.
Right message wrong person to call out.....that is all I am saying.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Originally posted by RhinofromWA

It would be a much less waste of your time if you would maybe consider my posting regarding Jr_B.

I have know Jr_B for over 3 years, and don't see her making the statement the way you have taken it.....not even close. I find it funny you ignore the rest of the messege and go after that statement that by itself is up to debate. But if you factor in the rest of the statement it clarifies the messege she was making is not the same one you are questioning. She is a big girl and doesn't need me to speak for her. I am letting you know as her friend that you are off on this one. Take that for what it is worth.
I did consider your point when I first read it and immediately decided it was irrelevant because I don't know you from a hole in the ground. Nor did I believe that you stood in any better place to determine the meaning of her words than I do. Nor was I lead to believe any differently by anything you had said.

If only you had taken the time to point that out in your first post that you knew her and could provide some relevant insight into the meaning of her words. :rolleyes: I ain't smart and I am certainly not psychic.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by DRB
I did consider your point when I first read it and immediately decided it was irrelevant because I don't know you from a hole in the ground. Nor did I believe that you stood in any better place to determine the meaning of her words than I do. Nor was I lead to believe any differently by anything you had said.

If only you had taken the time to point that out in your first post that you knew her and could provide some relevant insight into the meaning of her words. :rolleyes: I ain't smart and I am certainly not psychic.
I don't know how me knowing Jr_B, would make what I said more or less true. I was using what she wrote to persuade you instead of pulling a "well I know her and you don't"card which, in my mind, exposes a bias I might have and could weaken my statements.

I guess while discussing with you I should have let it be known I know her. I just find it strange that after all of that, now that I expose I know her, my eplination of the post has gone from irrelevent to somewhat-maybe relevent. I was trying to discuss her post based on what she did write in full, and not if I had some sixth sense about how she meant to post.

Although, I am now more credible thanks to Jr-B....I will have to thank her at her Bday this Friday :)

Sorry for the waste of time. Just please don't be so quick to dismiss me.....it hurts my feelings :D

PS- the friend card was more of a last stich effort....I hate to use it.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
I don't know how me knowing Jr_B, would make what I said more or less true. I was using what she wrote to persuade you instead of pulling a "well I know her and you don't"card which, in my mind, exposes a bias I might have and could weaken my statements.

I guess while discussing with you I should have let it be known I know her. I just find it strange that after all of that, now that I expose I know her, my eplination of the post has gone from irrelevent to somewhat-maybe relevent. I was trying to discuss her post based on what she did write in full, and not if I had some sixth sense about how she meant to post.

Although, I am now more credible thanks to Jr-B....I will have to thank her at her Bday this Friday :)

Sorry for the waste of time. Just please don't be so quick to dismiss me.....it hurts my feelings :D

PS- the friend card was more of a last stich effort....I hate to use it.
I still think that her words are too easily misconstrued. I can only go on what I read while you have some more info to go on. However, now that you played the friend card it makes sense. And it offers me more info to understand the post. In my mind that bias isn't a bad thing.

If it had been anything else other than an interpretation of someone else's posts I would not have been so quick to dismiss. (Unless you had said something utterly stupid like that complete tool Lobo did.)

:cool:

Your Honor

Chimp
Oct 17, 2003
Texas
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
The interesting thing about the situation in Africa is that that's where the resistant gene pool will emerge...
From a realistic-scientific position, you may have something there....

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I wonder why the catholic church can get away with telling people this, when it is so obviously untrue...

World AIDS Deaths, Infections at New Highs
Tue Nov 25, 9:55 AM ET

By Patricia Reaney

LONDON (Reuters)
- Deaths and new cases of HIV (news - web sites)/AIDS (news - web sites) reached unprecedented highs in 2003 and are set to rise still further as the epidemic keeps a stranglehold on sub-Saharan Africa and advances across Eastern Europe and Central Asia.

MORE...