Quantcast

MTB vs. Cruiser?

aj_gilbs

Chimp
Oct 8, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
So I took my Kona Stuff indoor BMX racing not too long ago and it was way fun. The second night I raced against other MTB but the first night I raced against 2 other guys on cruiser and would get killed on the start and then i could never catch up and they would continue to pull away through the rhythm section.

I'm thinking about getting an Intense Race Pro 24, but I'm also wanting to build up a new downhill bike this spring. I want to keep doing the BMX thing and probably also during the summer (I got an ABA license to race).

Would I really notice a difference between a cruiser and my hardtail or would some narrower tires and practicing gate starts help out enough to be somewhat competitive?

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
So I took my Kona Stuff indoor BMX racing not too long ago and it was way fun. The second night I raced against other MTB but the first night I raced against 2 other guys on cruiser and would get killed on the start and then i could never catch up and they would continue to pull away through the rhythm section.

I'm thinking about getting an Intense Race Pro 24, but I'm also wanting to build up a new downhill bike this spring. I want to keep doing the BMX thing and probably also during the summer (I got an ABA license to race).

Would I really notice a difference between a cruiser and my hardtail or would some narrower tires and practicing gate starts help out enough to be somewhat competitive?
it may not have been the bikes beating you... but the riders rather... sure a cruiser will be a lighter more specific rig, but i can win local aba races on my mtbike and plan to race it at some nationals as well... just not up for building another bike again right now (even though i have no 20 or 24 currently sadly).

i recently switched from 2.4 holy rollers to 2.0 maxxin larsen mimos for lightness/ less rolling resistance... havent had them at the track but they felt great at the trails... no sketchy at all.

start lightening that rig up some and it will be an awesome all around bike... my pbike has 6 cogs in the back and is something i ride all the time... racing or not...

and gate starts... yes... HUGE part of the race...