Quantcast

Mt. Bike festivals out west...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Anyone have any good ones in mind? Crested Butte is too soon, and I will be attending the Wydaho Festival Labor Day. Looking for one in July, perhaps? Interested in Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Idaho. Thoughts, good people?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've ridden out there on the Alpine trail used for the Cascade Cream Puff, long climb and then a descent where the size of your cajones dictates how quickly you scream back down the singletrack.

There's a ton of good trails out there, it's still on my list of places to head back to and spend longer exploring.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Thanks! That fits the bill time wise, but the trail descriptions seem a lot tamer than would be ideal. Has anyone here ridden Oakridge?
Oakridge was ENDURO long before there was ENDURO. Those trails are great, but I think they are a little overhyped. "Better than the Alps"...sure! :sarcastic:
And I don't know if that has changed, but when I lived there MBO was a bunch of trail riding guys coming to shuttle the trails of Oakridge to death, drinking lots of beer in the evenings and demo'ing dentist bikes. If this is your cup of tea it will be great. I can't remember anyone of my friends that were seriously into DH ever attending it.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Thanks! That fits the bill time wise, but the trail descriptions seem a lot tamer than would be ideal. Has anyone here ridden Oakridge?
I've ridden everything there a lot, it's 1.5 hours from Bend. I consider it more trail riding, not too much pure DH. I ride everything on a 5" bike. That said, the trails are super fun.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
i guess i missed him saying he wanted a DH festival. I read mountain bike festival, you know ride bikes, drink beers, eat food, camp n shit. Oakridge is all trail bike trails. There is really only one true legal DH bike worthy trail in this state now.....pro ski bowl race trail, and that was even won on a trail bike this year.....

if you want DH, your going to need to head up to whistler and hit there outerbike and do all the demos or crankworks if you want a "festival" and "DH only"

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Not necessarily looking for DH specific trails, I was just hoping for some more chunky stuff. We wish we had more technical terrain here in Jackhole for 'enduro' type trails. The event sounds fun, though,

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Not necessarily looking for DH specific trails, I was just hoping for some more chunky stuff. We wish we had more technical terrain here in Jackhole for 'enduro' type trails. The event sounds fun, though,
head to canadia then if you want chunk. So much variety. 13 hour car ride from jackson to oakridge. Or 14 hours to whistler. I would pick whistler hands fucking down. Or try revelstoke at 14 hours from you as well. The valley trails are so so so so good in whistler. theres also squamptown.....

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I understood that he isn't after a DH festival. However, the demographic riding at MBO, the trails and the vibe don't seem to attract DH-at-heart folks.
Years ago there was a Super D race that I attended during one of the festivals in Oakridge. A friend and I stayed after the race and took the offer to buy into some shuttles. We were made fun of for being on freeride bikes, however then even the guide that knew the trails better than we (and insisted on riding first) slowed us down. And riding behind participants of the event that think appropriate cornering technique is to get off the bike, push around an off camber corner and then remount became old quick. We then drove up to Willamette Pass for a little moon dust drifting and had much more fun. Yes, I know, long time ago and it maybe has changed, but this experience made me not come back during MBO weekends. In fact, I tried to ride there before the events so the trails were not skidded to death.
Speaking of WP: do they still have tracks up there and run the race series? Can't seem to find info on it.