Quantcast

Mt. Ashland Super D postponed. . .

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Tita came into the shop today and gave us the official word that due to an excessive amount of snow on the course, the Super D has been postponed until June 11th. Sorry if this messes with anyone's plans/schedules.

L

luelling

I figured that was going to happen with how uch snow has fallen this year. Too bad, I'm going to be doing the test of endurance that weekend.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Heidi said:
Dangit, I already sent my entry but I think I'm busy the weekend of the 11th.
I'm sure they will refund your $$ since they had to change the date of the event. Now that it's a couple weeks later, I might actually be able to go, just have to see if I can find someone to go with, I really don't want to drive there and back all by my lonesome. To bad you can't make it now, but will I still be seeing you at willamette June 17th??

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm in the process of rearranging my schedule so I can still do it. Where are you at...is it on the way from Bend? I'll probably still try Willamette.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Heidi said:
I'm in the process of rearranging my schedule so I can still do it. Where are you at...is it on the way from Bend? I'll probably still try Willamette.
Are you ladies going to do the DH race at Willamette, or just the Super D?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Snacks said:
Are you ladies going to do the DH race at Willamette, or just the Super D?
Depends how gnarly the Sport DH course is. I'd be racing the 575 since that's the biggest thing I've got.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Heidi said:
Depends how gnarly the Sport DH course is. I'd be racing the 575 since that's the biggest thing I've got.
Ya, I wonder how it is. We are heading down for the July 15th and Aug 12th race and my DH bike is a grand ol 6" of travel:)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Heidi said:
I actually live in Corvallis and work in Eugene, so it's not really on the way at all, but thanks! I actually just talked to some friends from portland who think they will be going down, so I think I have found a carpool!

The sport course at Willamette (at least from '04) was not too crazy at all. It had one "bigger" drop that I can recall, but had a pretty quick go around line. I don't remember it being anything that a 6 inch travel bike couldn't handle.

I won't be racing the DH, just the super d, but I will stick around sunday to watch the DH!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
DH Diva said:
I actually live in Corvallis and work in Eugene, so it's not really on the way at all, but thanks! I actually just talked to some friends from portland who think they will be going down, so I think I have found a carpool!

The sport course at Willamette (at least from '04) was not too crazy at all. It had one "bigger" drop that I can recall, but had a pretty quick go around line. I don't remember it being anything that a 6 inch travel bike couldn't handle.

I won't be racing the DH, just the super d, but I will stick around sunday to watch the DH!
Sweet! Maybe we can hook up for a shuttle run of the Super D on Saturday if you're going to be in Ashland that early?????????

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DH Diva said:

This is kinda off topic, but DH Diva, I know you injured you self real bad at the ID National a few years back.....how did you make the decision to not race/ride DH again? After the crash was the rehab and $$ cost not worth it? This question sounds weird typed out.....

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Snacks said:
This is kinda off topic, but DH Diva, I know you injured you self real bad at the ID National a few years back.....how did you make the decision to not race/ride DH again? After the crash was the rehab and $$ cost not worth it? This question sounds weird typed out.....
The million dollar questions! Actually, even though my recovery was considered a "success," I only regained about 50% use of my wrist and hand and am technically permenently disabled.

The damage was so bad that my doctors never anticipated that I would regain what I did, or become as functional as I have. My hand/wrist can handle trail riding (how much? We shall see after I start super d racing) but when it comes to drops and jumps, it isn't structurally sound enough to keep hold of the bars on a landing.

The other problem is that I have severe osteoarthritis in my hand, specifically the scaphoid (which I shattered and was replaced with a graft from my hip), and all the connective tissue has severe tendonitis. So, my wrist and hand will (and already actually are in the process of) start to degrade overtime to the point where I will have to have most of my hand and wrist permenantly fused.

They have given me an estimate, based on the current rate of degeneration, of about 5-10 years before they have to go in and do the fusion.

Also, I am also at that last stage of repair. What that means is, if you injure a joint, there is a certain number of times you can reattach stuff before you fun out of room to work with. Well, I damaged so much of all the soft tissue, it's at that last stage after the one accident. If I break anything again, they go immediately to a full fusion. Same with the scaphoid, it's very compromised and it wouldn't take much to shatter it again.

I think if it came down to just the risk of damaging it again, I would still race, but it's more the issue of physically not being able to ride the pro/ex courses anymore.

So, the short version:

If I still could race full blown Pro level DH, I would. But I can't so I have to move on and find something else to fill that void. I hope super d does that. It took me a long time to get okay with this. I was depressed about it for months, but I had to get over it and get on with my life. I'm just thankful I'm not dead or paralized, which was entirely possible. I'm looking foward to super d, and doing some distance races on my dirt bike, so I'm good with things now.