Quantcast

Moving to tahoe! And new.

calskierx

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
Hi, my name is nick and i live in davis/dixon and im new here . Anyways i plan on moving to south lake for school in the fall. Do any of you guys know anyone who rents out there places in the winter, even a room. Im trying to do this the cheap way although tahoe and cheap dont mix its worth a shot. aside from that I ride Dh just for fun and im a shuttle monkey, might race a bit this year who know's. I love downiville and have family there so i ride it alot , im down for any trips in my area including auburn and northstar< getting a pass there. uhhhh i ski my ass off in the winter and thats about it. Thank's

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
calskierx said:
Hi, my name is nick and i live in davis/dixon and im new here . Anyways i plan on moving to south lake for school in the fall. Do any of you guys know anyone who rents out there places in the winter, even a room. Im trying to do this the cheap way although tahoe and cheap dont mix its worth a shot. aside from that I ride Dh just for fun and im a shuttle monkey, might race a bit this year who know's. I love downiville and have family there so i ride it alot , im down for any trips in my area including auburn and northstar< getting a pass there. uhhhh i ski my ass off in the winter and thats about it. Thank's
what school is in south lake? the only thing I've heard of down there is maybe a small community college? i used tahoe-world.com to find the place i'm renting now but they might only do north shore. i don't know much about south shore, it's a little too mini-vegas for my liking. you just missed a damn good winter, hopefully next year will be the same.

edit : just checked and tahoe-world.com does do south shore as well so check there for rentals.

calskierx

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
Nah i didnt miss it, i ski'd 58 days. lake tahoe community college is what im going for, might as well get my credits somewhere i like. ill check out tahoeworld thanks.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
that's pretty good. i live a 5 min walk away from the lake and I probably only got in 45 days. hit me up if you want to come up to the north shore and check out some trails. and for bike shops down there I've been into 123bikes before and they seem pretty cool. they also seem to know where good trails are and they don't mind telling you.

calskierx

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
right on, any experiance with truckee meadow's? I prefer north shore but i have a feeling they dont offer as much and i dont wanna drive to reno for classes.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
North shore is going to Sh!t... rich moving in and buying everything in site. Rentals going bye-bye. We were just told today that even our landlords(cool as all hell) can't pass up the offer they got. 2 800sq ft apartments for 800k. I'd sell too!!!

for_sale

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Truckee
right on, any experiance with truckee meadow's? I prefer north shore but i have a feeling they dont offer as much and i dont wanna drive to reno for classes.

Truckee Meadows has like a year long waiting list. I was on it for the longest time before I decided that I liked South Lake better.

Truckee Meadows (college) Truckee Pines (Apts with year long waiting list) same difference?!

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
for_sale said:
Truckee Meadows has like a year long waiting list. I was on it for the longest time before I decided that I liked South Lake better.

You sure about that? Maybe it depends on what program you want to go for. My girlfriend just signed up for classes no problem. They are summer classes but they also told her it would be no problem getting in in the fall also. From what I've heard it's supposed to be decent for a community college?

dh tahoe : you don't think the same thing is happening on the south shore? Even reno is getting stupid expensive.

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
Alot has changed in Tahoe over last 20 years.
Like Mike has said the rich have moved in to a point where theres no affordable rentals for locals.
When I first moved to Tahoe 20 years ago I rented a nice 2bd 2 bath house on the westshore for 300.00 a month for the house. Now that same house would rent for close to $2000 a month if you can even rent it. Now when people buy property for rentals they want weekend rentals for $1000s a weekend. With rentals at this price point where are all the liftops and other resort workers going to live...NO WHERE.

As much as I LOVE the lake I finally had to move away after 20 years in Tahoe City.
Now I live 45 minutes away from the lake. I dont have to shovel snow:D and now live in a beautiful home with 3 acres of property that would cost around $700,000 to purchase in the Tahoe area.

All I can say is Tahoe aint what it used to be...:angry:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
show me where you can buy a house with 3 acres for $700k and i'll be your friend forever. my g/f and I were looking at fixer-uppers on .5 acre for $500k.

sucks if you can't afford to buy, it's great if you can.

but it's happening everywhere. i bet you won't be able to buy your house that your in now for what you consider an affordable price 20 years down the road.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
yup. even where I grew up, this really small town (no stoplights, one gas station, just got an atm 2 years ago and it's one of those little atms in the town bar) prices are starting to jump way up. I think my parents bought the house they are in now for around 25k just before I was born, now it's worth probably 250k or more. it's definitely worse around the lake, and all the second home owners are making it a hard place to live for people who can only afford to rent.

my g/f gets some insider scoops because of her job and she says she keeps hearing about more and more plans to build lower incoming housing, that will be capped off. something like it can only go up in value 2% each year. I know there is some limited housing like this already. We looked at a place in Incline (dump) and the maximum the owner could sell it for was somehow tied to the average incoming of washoe county. So if they get can more things like that in place it will get better. They have to do something otherwise there won't be any working class people left because they won't be able to afford to live in the area.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
calskierx said:
Ill give someone 150 bucks a month for there garage....... you know you dont need it that bad..
You just said.......

.......on a biking forum..........

..............................That I don't need my garage.......................

That weird butthole in the ground with teeth they tried to throw luke skywalker in is too good for you.

And it's true Tahoe has changed. We finally got all the straight people out.

We ARe fam il ly

I got all my sisters and me!!

Come on everybody and scream!!

calskierx

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
Im not desperate enough to live in an ass , give me a break when you were 20 you would do anything to get there if you werent there allready. And the crappy living situation is only for 2-3 months untill school start's its not like my goal is to live in someone's garage, its just a starting line . Thanks for the suggestions those who are giving them.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
The weekender that are moving up here do have some entertainment value. This old man keeps messing with our trail in Sierra Meadows. This 60+ year old guy will spend a WHOLE day with prybars, levers, and whatnot just to move one boulder that takes me and Krenicki two seconds to move. We sat in the woods and watched... it took him all day from 11am -5pm going back and forth to his house to get bigger bars/levers. When he finally got finished we walked up rolled it out of the trail. No effort whatsoever. The funny part is that this trail has been there since the early 1900's as a mining trail. We maintain the whole trail system(two guys) that this guy walks his dog on every day. If we were not there his trail would be gone too.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
maybe I read that wrong but did you really spend 6 hours hanging out in the woods and watching some old dude try and move a rock? :)

calskierx

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
Ive seen return of the jedi! its the part were there gonna through Luke skywalker in the "ass" in the desert and he escapes and jaba the fat Fu<k gets blown up in his ship . I wouldnt live in it but id ride my bike down it.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
dfinn said:
maybe I read that wrong but did you really spend 6 hours hanging out in the woods and watching some old dude try and move a rock? :)
Yeah we were working a hiking trail not far away and would check on him time to time. Just to make sure he was OK and didn't die right there. But mostly just to laugh at what we knew would take 2 secs to move. He has made the trail better in his efforts too. It's a grin I tell you. He puts more rocks in the trail and that has made that spot more technical than ever. He has NO IDEA what a DH bike can do. Most I just roll right over.

professortf

Chimp
Mar 28, 2004
San Jose, CA
im in the same boat im moveing to south shore to go to tahoe community college this september and am looking for a house. if any of you guys want to ride this summer im going to be up their like every other week monday and tues or ski/board in the winter just drop me a pm

calskierx

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
Booya! keep in touch bro im going to school in south lake and am gonna need a place starting oct 1st ( i figure i can camp out for the first week of school)

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
What about Sierra Nevada College? North Lake is way better than South Lake, imoh.
It's pretty easy to find places to rent for cheap, in fact, the rental market gets bigger all the time, because people need a way to pay for these huge mortgages.

Oh, and I think that the housing market is going to get interesting in Tahoe in the next year or two. Look for the bottom to fall out pretty seriously.

calskierx

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
I do agree, the north shore is better but sierra nevada college is bank ( almost 30,000 a year ) and i cant afford it yet, i figure a year and a half of ****ty school' and ill get the student loans to pay for the last 2 years. And i would still live atleast on the west side but the damn highway closes because of avy's in the winter and i cant drive all the way around the lake just for school.