Quantcast

moving from a MTB to a cruiser.....but which cruiser??

horton

Chimp
Jul 4, 2002
I just got rid of my MTB and was going to buy another ****ty MTB until I have the money saved for the expensive bike I have my eye on.

I planned on getting something **** and then selling it when I can afford the decent bike, but then thought it might be better to get a cruiser as when I get my expensive bike I can keep both of them.

There is no way I can ride a 20inch bike as Im far to old, heavy etc.

So I had my eye on a couple of bikes...all around the $400 mark.

Haro Backtrail 24
FreeAgent Hellcat 24

any other decent bikes at $400 or less?
and I have to be able to find these bikes in Japan, cos thats where I am right now..Haro and FreeAgent are sold here but some of the smaller companies dont do business in Japan.

I wanted a DJ style frame cos I tend to break bikes and the DJ frames to more comfortable.

Also I noticed the DJ bikes dont have front brakes, they will take a front brake though wont they??

Im sure getting a BMX is gonna feel real wierd as Im nearly 30 and havnt ridden one since I was about 12 or 13.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I have the Haro x24 and I like it.

But you really should try to test ride them. But having said that I bought mine used online without riding it and I'm happy. :rolleyes:

Just remember that you can't use it for riding like a mountainbike. My bmx bike is only a toy, while I could ride my mt bike for transportation or something. I can't even pedal while sitting down on my bmx.

You might want to check out Diamondback and Specialized also.

So the list is now:

Haro X24
FreeAgent Hellcat 24
Diamondback Lucky 24
Specialized Vegas TRX 24

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Found some more.:D :D

The list:

Haro X24
FreeAgent Hellcat 24
Diamondback Lucky 24
Specialized Vegas TRX 24
DK General lee 24
Mosh 3 star cruiser

Keep in mind I haven't checked prices, but I would imagine that all of these would be in the same general price range.

That's all for now.

horton

Chimp
Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by Mudpuppy

Just remember that you can't use it for riding like a mountainbike. My bmx bike is only a toy, while I could ride my mt bike for transportation or something. I can't even pedal while sitting down on my bmx.

I realise its going to be less usefull than a MTB but I still want one because;

a. For the sort of cash I can justify spending right now its either a **** MTB or a semi-decent BMX.. I had a MTB worth about $400 and it was a piece of ****. everything rattled and the last time I got air (about 1 foot) it broke. Im hoping $400 worth of BMX might stand up to a bit more abuse.

b. I only ride short distances, so Im hoping a BMX isnt too hard to live with.

c. If a get another MTB I will want to sell it in a few months time as Im getting a Jack Flash rad (or something similiar) in about 6 months. If I have a BMX then I will be happy to keep both.

oh and thanks for the recommendations I shall check out all those bikes and see what I like.

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
I like the Haro Backtrail 24, the Diamondback Whatever-the-Hell-it's-called (24", 4130), and the Free Agent. I have a Redline Proline (Aluminum) from '99, but the newer ones have scrawny forks which make me nervous (I'm kinda husky).

In any case, look for whatever's 100% 4130--that's what I'd do. And realize the bars are going to feel ridiculously low at first.

The 4130 Redline seems to be too slack headtube-wise for me--don't know the measurements on this year's model though. If it was my money, I'd get the DB or the Haro. I think both have 48's and both are 4130.