Quantcast

Mosquitoes

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
They are out in full force this year. I have been draining just about every standing body of water but they just keep coming. I use some generic bug spray now, but it doesn't seem to do that much. What do all you deep forest diggers do to keep the little fvckers away from you/the trails?

D.E.T.

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
NC
I've gotten so used to them, I hardly even notice. Other guys I dig with use some kind of deet product.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
If you want the best protection then pick up any product that contains the active material from this company:
http://www.citrefine.com/index.html
I have been researching this area for the company I work for and let me tell you, the material this company makes is by far the best stuff you can by.
Rgds
Ian

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
There's a dj spot in NC I ride occasionally that has no water source, just some big barrels the crew occasionally fills and leaves to catch rain. They would supposedly keep goldfish in the barrels to eat the mosquitos. Doubt that helps you at all, but an interesting idea nonetheless.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
At our local hill the mosquitoes and black flies can get pretty insane.

We usually have a big stash of the disposable cup holder things from various fast food places(helps if a friend works at a fast food place) and we basically have a slow burning fire with those, it seems to do the trick.

Also, a good friend of mine is a hunter/camper and he swears by if you drink ALOT of lemonade the day or night before you go out in the woods that for some reason it'll keep the buggers away. I havent tried that one out.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
DEET is the only thing that will keep mosquitoes away for any length of time. Anything above 15% is usually enough. Other stuff might work for an hour or two but that's it. If you will be sweating make sure you get waterproof lotion. I have found that the lotion lasts much longer than sprays. But make sure you rub it in and don't just let it evaporate.

So what I have found to work is 3M Ultrathon lotion and REI Jungle Juice plus. The 3M lasts really long and is waterproof but the REI stuff also has a black fly repellent. I've been covered in 30% DEET and still gotten eaten alive by black flies.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
When deer flies act up when trail building the only thing I have found to work is a head net. Those little kamakazi buggers don't care what chemical you slather all over youself. Although I do want to try these.

Last edited:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Strangely, we don't have a big problem with deer flies. I have been using a deet product, but it doesn't seem to bother the mosquitoes as I always come out of the woods with a few bites on me.

I put up a few "beer traps" a couple days ago, and they caught a ton of them (and other insects). I haven't been back to since though, so I am not sure the difference it made.

Edit. Just saw the back of the spray I was using and it only has 33% deet. Off to the store I go.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
More isn't necessarily better. Get a time release waterproof lotion. Once you get much above 30% DEET you have to be real careful. It is a neurotoxin after all.

It's overhyped, especially by those who wish to sell you bug dope.

NIH:

Although many people are bitten by mosquitos that carry West Nile virus, most do not know they've been exposed. Few people develop severe disease or even notice any symptoms at all.

Risk factors for developing a more severe form of West Nile virus include:

• Conditions that weaken the immune system, such as HIV, organ transplants, and recent chemotherapy
  • Older or very young age
  • Pregnancy

Jul 29, 2009
I have seriously considered getting one of those hats/nets that people that handle bees wear, and use that when Im digging - and avoid standing still when Im riding